9 Nov 2014 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..

NotWal said..

FormulaNova said..

NotWal said..
Will that 2 part urethane fix a delam?

Yes, it will. depending on where the delamination has happened. If its the stryrofoam, it will glue it back together. If its the divinycell that has come apart from the fibreglass, I don't think it will get in there.

I repaired a delaminated board using this, but it required a lot of small holes, and a lot of work to fill it all once I was finished.

I have an old board with a huge bubble in front of the fin. It's certainly skin separation from the core and fractured styro. I was toying with the idea of injecting epoxy through lots of holes but 2 part styro would be more structurally consistent.

Do you think that drilling holes at say 70mm spacing in both directions and injecting 2 pot styro would be worth a try?

The idea is that I would first attempt to flatten the skin by mechanically compressing it and leaving it in a hot car for a day then drill the holes, inject the goo, compress it flat with short lengths of sticks and wipe off the goo that squeezes out, let it cure for a day or so then just epoxy fill the holes and sand and paint.

Does that sound viable?

What I found was that it worked well if you had a hole to inject the foam, and about 5 around it for the foam to come out of. They were much closer than you suggest at around 50mm distance at most, maybe even less. The idea is that the foam can escape instead of expanding and forming a bulge, and that the foam pours out of the hole you injected it into and the surrounding holes as well.

You only have a small amount of time once you mix the foam and draw it into the syringe, so I had a bunch of 5ml syringes and the holes I drilled were just the right diameter where the syringe is locked in. Once you have injected the foam, if you want to reuse the syringe, cycle some acetone through it to clean it.

Scrape off the foam that comes out as its easier to remove it than after it sets.

By the sounds of your problem, you could drill the holes first. I don't think heat is going to soften anything.

The two part urethane foam is called GP something, and is the same foam they used to build the original plastic skinned boards. One of the components (the darker of the two) seems to react with air or moisture and you will find it will stick the lid down, so if you can, find some way to store it where the lid comes of easily.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a 5P job (prior planning prevents poo performance), to be tackled in small stages and savoured thoughtfully.
I'll go and take it out of the bag.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
9 Nov 2014 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

So the hard foam is glued in and routed down to the level of the surrounding glass skin.

... And three layers off glass laid over the top. The glass is now up to the level of the surrounding white paint. After this shot was taken I covered the repair with a layer of polythene, a rubber sheet and couple of bricks to put a bit of squeeze on as the cure takes place.

jusavina
QLD, 1459 posts
9 Nov 2014 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

That was step one of what I did for an equivalent damage.

Mark _australia
WA, 22284 posts
9 Nov 2014 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ I love people who do that, after the dodgy repair falls to bits I get the board really cheap.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
10 Nov 2014 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

jusavina
QLD, 1459 posts
10 Nov 2014 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said...
^^^^ I love people who do that, after the dodgy repair falls to bits I get the board really cheap.

Works actually really good for a quick fix if you want to keep sailing on the day but yes, it does falls to bits
I've kept the cheap board though...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Better Repair Fun Than 2035's Thread" started by ikw777