Boom Regripping

Created by The Grinch > 9 months ago, 27 Sep 2008
The Grinch
WA, 733 posts
27 Sep 2008 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

I fancy having a go at regripping my carbon boom after reading this article

http://www.calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=944

Anyone know where I can get some boom grip?

The Grinch
WA, 733 posts
28 Sep 2008 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that!

Big Al
WA, 264 posts
29 Sep 2008 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Mark from SurfSail (Leederville) has boom grip as well.
I have done 8 booms now and can tell you carbon booms take 3 times as long. Once you have removed all of the old grip - with the aid of a box cutter, you will be left with an amount of glue residue, this has to be all carefully scraped away. With an ali boom you can simply use acetone and a rag but I don't tend to use it on a carbon just in case it reacts with the resin. Both Paul from Hydro and MArk will give you all the tips you need, good luck and your hands will love ya for it.

AB...

The Grinch
WA, 733 posts
2 Oct 2008 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Big Al

Got the grip today from Hydrodynamix.

Have already taken old grip off boom. I will post pics of my progress.

sandman
WA, 432 posts
3 Oct 2008 12:17AM
Thumbs Up

wrap elastoplast fabric tape around the whole thing, a bit rough for the first day but after that, perfect.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
3 Oct 2008 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Sandman,

Is this tape in lieu of re-gripping? Where do you get it from? I've got some sections on my carbon boom that need replacing, but don't fancy spending hours with the box cuttters.

Cheers, Jens

sandman
WA, 432 posts
3 Oct 2008 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

If you were gonna re grip the whole thing you would probably do it properly, but as a fix up this works a treat. you get it from coles etc and it comes in about 3 widths. the container is red and the top pops off like a reel of plumbers tap. the tape looks like a fabric bandaid

I wrap it so that there is a 50% overlap creating a double layer. you will find it rolls over at the edges a bit to start with but after that it settles in nicely. just wash the boom with detergent first

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 966 posts
3 Oct 2008 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Should I start planning for the rescue now Grinchy?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Boom Regripping" started by The Grinch