Forums > Windsurfing General

Burrum Windfest 2012 Event Wrap

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 17 Mar 2012
Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
17 Mar 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Burrum Windfest 2012

No records were harmed in the making of this event.

The prelude.

A very encouraging forecast was issued for 20-30 knots with a Fraser Island low forming just south of Burrum heads. Competitors that had arrived early to tune up their gear scored some classic conditions along the main run, by day 1 of competition the spirits were very high.

Day 1.

Burrum brings with it, its own laid back pace and this always translates well with the Windfest. Day 1 was no different in 2012. Sign-on was held between 9-10am and the first briefing kicked off at 11am. With the stronger winds easing, the forecast for day 1 was 10-15 knot SE-NE winds across the course. The decision was taken to hold until 1pm to give enough time for any breezes to develop. Eventually an 8-10 knot NE'r blew in over the course. Creating enough wind to cool us down, however not enough to get everyone out on the course.

We decided to put a hold on competition for day 1 and head out on the MV Daytripper barge for a cruise, a drink and some bbq lunch. We found a spot out on the course to anchor to enjoy an excellent afternoon overlooking the main run. The crew on the barge really know how to throw a party, providing complementary drinks and food and joining in the conversation as we talked and caught up with friends new and old. New to this year's event we also had access to the JP/Pryde trailer that has been making its way around Australia. The guys from Surf FX had kindly offered to bring it to the event and day 1 seemed a perfect opportunity to open it up and break out the sups and RS one longboards to explore the area. With light winds and clear blue skies this was perfect weather. As the afternoon progressed we were met at the barge on the water by those on sups and longboards and ended up returning to shore with more revellers then we had left with.

Day 1 was a great start to the event. It was easy paced and everyone had a great time. By late afternoon we were heading in off the water and preparing for a night of further social antics fun.

/images/misc/forum-image-missing.gif

Day 2.

With the Gear trailer opened early and another day of sunny skies and gorgeous Burrum weather the weapon of choice were the JP sups. This was later to become the inaugural Burrum Windfest Sup Race and began early with a few of the guys going for an early morning paddle. As it turned out, the wildlife was also out for an early morning paddle as a 3m hammerhead had confused bait fish with sup and was on the chase about 15m from shore. First time I've seen a sup plane as Shane and Michel headed stage right onto the sand. Later in the morning some large turtles popped up in front of Troy and friends while out supping.

Towards mid morning it became apparent Day 2 was going to be a re-run of day 1. Keen to get some form of competition in we held the Inaugural Burrum Windfest Sup Race. It was hotly contested. Heat one taken out by Shane McCarthy with Maree showing the boys how it's done coming in 3rd. Heat 2 saw Troy aka Trojan bring it home after rounding the mark in second behind Phil then eventually crossing the line first.

After the sup race day 2 briefing was held. We outlined the BOM forecast for possible late wind increases and decided to hold at the Burrum Sands Speed HQ in anticipation for the late forecast winds. This gave family and friends the chance to hit the water together with the gear from the trailer. The banana chairs overlooking the course were filled while we got the kids out on the beginners gear for some lessons. Others enjoyed the sups once more or cruised on the RS one longboards across to Burrum Point. Day 2 put a lot of smiles on faces. It was a memorable day with competitors and their families able to enjoy their time together in and out of the water.

By 2.30pm the wind had only increased slightly so we called an end to day 2 and prepared for dinner at the Burrum Hotel. Courtesy buses were booked for a 6pm pickup at 3 spots around town. By 5.30 the wind had finally kicked in. A great sign for day 3.

A total of 65 people had congregated at the Hotel for Saturday night dinner. I think you could say we owned the hotel that night filling the main area for dinner and drinks. Not to let the evening finish early, and unknown to Vando, a plan had been hatched earlier to invite Vando to the traditional Ray's Place limoncello tasting ceremony along with a few other party goers to help ensure Vando was off his game come day 3. "allegedly."

Day 3.

Day 3 was D-Day, we had enjoyed great times to date and the icing for the cake was being prepared. The forecast looked good for 20 knot winds as cloud started rolling through, confirming this to be the case.

Briefing was held early and competitors prepared their gear for the course and spares for the MV Daytripper Barge.

Keen to take full advantage of the days sailing, the KA Sail flags were raised and the hooter blown signalling the beginning of proceedings. We had 30 competitors out blasting along a 3km reach as the high tides had allowed room for a longer than usual run at the northern bank. The 20 knot ESE winds were the perfect setup at the northern run. As day 3 progressed, and the tide dropped, we held a mini briefing to outline the changing water depths and directed everyone to the bounds of the northern channel where we were joined by the helicopter and Col Leonhardt from Windsurf Australia for a video and photography shoot. What a sight, the competitors blasting along the dead flat waters of the northern run with a helicopter chasing only 20-30m above the water. The fisherman on Burrum Point beach got an amazing sight of the event and the helicopter soon became the talk of the town with locals as they watched from the Burrum River. This is the first time a windsurfing event has been covered in this manner on the east coast of Australia and it is fair to say it was a sight for all involved.

By 5pm Day 3 we lowered the flags and called an end to the competitive side of the event. Once all competitors were off the course we pulled up anchor on the support boats and headed in allowing a beginning to the end of event ceremony BBQ.

Presentation Ceremony.

Burrum Sands Holiday Units were once again the host for Speed HQ as well as the presentation ceremony. Nestled in a lush tropical landscape and overlooking the main run it is the perfect location to end the Windfest festivities.
We lined up 2 bbq's and got the well-deserved food onto the plate. Jason aka goldcoast moz and Vando took over cooking duties, we had a full serve of sausages and rib fillet steaks from the Burrum Heads Butchery as well as 60 fresh seasoned Red Claw Jason had caught and brought along for this years BBQ. Combined with salads and chilled beer the 2012 end of event BBQ was well worth the wait.

While the food was being enjoyed The final GPS results were being calculated by Dylan of KA72 Speedreader fame and we were readying ourselves for the final presentations.

First for presentations was the impromptu SUP race results. Each winner receiving a pair of harness lines, Shane and Maree receiving adjustable Dakine line from SurfFX and Trojan receiving a pair of unifiber lines from Caloundra wind and surf.

The Winners

The winners of this years Burrum Windfest 2012 were as follows.

Youth Division

Bradley Jones from Hervey Bay had made the trip with his dad and family to enjoy the event for the first time.

5x10 - prize: Naish Sails Boom from Surf FX on the gold coast
1st, Bradley Jones 19.256 kn.

Legends Division
Legends is a well entered division at the Windfest. Local Hervey Bay Sailor Geoff Ringe took out a clean sweep winning both the 5x10 and Nautical Mile categories.

5x10 - prize: Chinook Boom from SurfConnect
1st,Geoff Ringe - 26.340kn
2nd, Greg Banks - 24.089 kn
3rd, Peter Nitschke - 22.736 kn

NM - prize: Gun Mast/Sail bag combo from Windsurfing Sales
1st, Geoff Ringe - 24.811 kn
2nd, Peter Nitschke - 21.162 kn
3rd, Greg Banks - 20.947 kn

Womens Division
Each year the womens division is hotly contested and this year was no different with only 0.5 knot between competitors.

5x10 prize: Burrum Sands Holiday units Weekend accom voucher
1st, Kellie Tusler - 23.350 kn
2nd, Anne Lewis - 22.667 kn

NM - prize: Select Casper Speed fin from Sunshine Coast Sailboards.
1st, Anne Lewis - 20.487 kn
2nd, Kellie Tusler - 20.000 kn

Open Division

2 sec peak - prize: seabreeze sunnies from seabreeze forums.
1st, Michel Van Der Plit - 29.891 kn
2nd, Glynn Merritt - 29.104 kn
3rd, Michael Brown - 28.832 kn

5x10 - prize: billow 400cm 100% carbon mast from Caloundra Wind and Surf
1st, Michel Van Der Plit - 29.006 kn
2nd, Glynn Merritt - 28.118 kn
3rd, Michael Brown - 27.518 kn

NM - prize: Select Casper Speed fin from Sunshine Coast Sailboards
1st, Michel Van Der Plit - 25.812 kn
2nd, Michael Brown - 25.311 kn
3rd, Glynn Merritt - 25.165 kn

Special mention to Michael brown who I am informed hasn't windsurfed seriously for 10 years.

Lucky Draw Prizes.
Each year at the Windfest KA Sail provide major lucky draw prize to enable all compeitiors the chance to walk away a winner. This year we are especially pleased as young gun Bradley Jones not only took out the youth division but also came up winner and is now the proud owner of a brand new KA 2012 Koncept!

Major Giveaway
Bradley Jones - KA Sail 2012 Koncept

This year Sponsor involvement in the event ended up being overwhelming. This allowed us to offer multiple lucky draw prizes to all who had signed up. Including

5 pairs of seabreeze sunnies from seabreeze
2 learn to windsurf vouchers from Surfconnect
1 copy of WindRider DVD
2 copies of Wild Tracks DVD
Gun Session bag from Windsurfing Sales
Unifiber t-shirt and boom bra from Caloundra Wind and Surf
KA sail provided a webshop discount voucher being emailed out to all competitors in this years event.

End Of Event Thanks

The list is long but the Thanks are deserved.

Firstly to

KA Sail - for their ongoing support of the event. KA were instrumental in the Windfest being conceived and have been part of the event for the 5 years it has run and have provided a sail as the major prize draw every year.

Burrum Sands Holiday units - Brooke and Mark offer all of their facilities to the event and always put an accommodation package into the prize pool and have been part of the event since it has run at Burrum Heads.

MV Daytripper - from Hervey Bay who provided the barge and tender vessels to cover the event. The crew on the Daytripper donated their time wages free to the event and the vessels costs were calculated to be affordable for the event.

Caloundra Wind and Surf - Peter N was also integral in the conception of the event and has along with KA been a sponsor every year the event has taken place giving away boards in the past and this year a mast and unifiber merchandise and competed in every event to date.

Sunshine Coast Sailboards - Dieter has also been a long time sponsor of the event providing select fins and merchandise as well as being a good competitor.

SurfFX - Ian and Michael brought a lot to the event this year not only contributing to the prize pool but also towing the JP/Pryde gear trailer up to the event and allowing access 24/7 as well as getting the gear out, packing it away and making sure everything was in tip top condition.

Seabreeze Forums - Laurie at seabreeze has been a long time contributor to the event. Providing not only the means to spread the word but also by contributing prizes in the prize pool each year.

Windsurfing Sales - Bud as well has provided support across the years of the event. Sometimes personally delivery his prizes and even on occasion helping out in the rescue craft.

SurfConnect - Patrick came onboard this year to provide prizes and support after many years helping with the windwanderers. He has always offered his invaluable support to the sport.

Burrum heads Butchery - Luke, Lance and Mick it needs to be said know meat. The meat they provided for the event was complimented by all. They provided kilos of sausages and rib fillet. Hand delivered it every morning and allowed us to have more than one bbq.

Windsurf Australia - Col Leonhardt organised the helicopter for the event which was on standby for 3 days. He donated all of his time both in the air and on the ground and it needs to be said, he was always smiling.

KA 72 SpeedReader - Dylan has been involved in the event from the beginning. He wrote a special mobile version of his software for the event and is always on hand to help anyone with GPS setup and problem solving.

Burrum Windfest 2012 received overwhelming support from sponsors. Many sponsors were able to attend the event this year both as competitors and to join in the fun and help. All sponsors of the event expressed to me prior to, during and after the event how keen they were to be involved. On a personal note I was touched at the desire of the sponsors across the board to be involved and the genuine and unconditional nature of their support.

Thanks also to vando and moz for their bbq work, moz for the red claw, glynn for his bbq work on the barge and my wife for sourcing all of the beer, salad, plates etc and setting up the bbq area for presentation. Thanks also to locals Ray and Geoff for helping along the way and always pushing the event forward. Thanks also to young scot who helped carry gear and helped out on the barge. Next year he is officially competing.

Also, Thanks to all those who attended and helped. Some drove for 3 days, some waited road side for hours and others took very long detours to get around flood waters. Even up to the first day of the event the Burrum river was in flood. However, It's the people involved in an event that make the event and this year was a reflection on what a fantastic group of people there are involved in windsurfing. We were rewarded with fun times and blue skies and a great day of sailing to cap it all off.

Planning for next year is underway with a view to extend the event to 5-6 days in march 2013. See you all next year and thanks once more.

winners

vando

geoff

kellie

anne

bradley

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
17 Mar 2012 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

The Windsurfing

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
17 Mar 2012 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

the fun times

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
17 Mar 2012 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Really good write up Justin. Sums up the event well. The whole family had such a great time this year, thanks again for organising such a great event and to all the sponsors involved, there were so great prizes.
See you all next year
Kellie

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
17 Mar 2012 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

so much fun, i met sausage and got earbashed by kellie!

bring on next year.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
18 Mar 2012 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Great write up and photos

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
18 Mar 2012 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Justin.
thanks again to all the sponsors
I look forward to next year

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
18 Mar 2012 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

so much fun, i met sausage and got earbashed by kellie!

bring on next year.

Hey and I met Greenleader I'm just sorry I couldn't hang round for the weekend

Nice write up too Justin.

da vecta
QLD, 2514 posts
18 Mar 2012 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

"Special mention to Michael brown who I am informed hasn't windsurfed seriously for 10 years."

Cough, cough, Yer right, just in Maui every year!

...seems he just got a lucky gust anyway .

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
18 Mar 2012 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

cheers guys,

lol davecta, still 2 weeks every year not a bad performance considering the class of both vando and glynn. you nailed it too mate.

i found some more images on my wifes mobile phone. they show the setup at the burrum sands very nicely.

S018
SA, 338 posts
18 Mar 2012 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Great event, well run and lots of support from the locals and the shops..
had lot's of fun and met plenty of nice people and had some sailing time..
all good
thanks Justin and others for a fun week
see you all again !

alfamale
QLD, 138 posts
18 Mar 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Big thanks to Justin for a great event. I think the Windfest has the potential to be a major event on the windsurfing calendar. Burrum is a pretty laid back place, perfect for a few lazy days away. It also is a great place for families too and I plan to bring my kids up next year.

Great to catch up with the local crew and all the like minded sailors from around the traps. Big congrats to Vando, he is a worthy champion.

da vecta said...

"Special mention to Michael brown who I am informed hasn't windsurfed seriously for 10 years."

Cough, cough, Yer right, just in Maui every year!

...seems he just got a lucky gust anyway .

Haha, to clarify I've actually been doing a bit of wavesailing but have only spent a few hours on a slalom board in the last decade. The weekend has started the competitive juices flowing again and given me a few pointers on what I need to do to be competitive again, can't wait till next year!
Cheers

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
19 Mar 2012 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

you mean the stuff written on facebook isn't true.

Custom1111
QLD, 119 posts
20 Mar 2012 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Justin and all. We 2 had a great weekend and the kids had a ball. See you next year and we'll be there for the week.

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
20 Mar 2012 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

cheers peter.

thanks for coming along. i've got a wild tracks dvd here for you i'll pop in the post. we pulled your name out of the lucky draw barrel and i kept it aside.

Custom1111
QLD, 119 posts
26 Apr 2012 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Just read your reply, thanks mate thats good news. We are going to Boreen point next week maybe you can give it to me then?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2012 Event Wrap" started by Gestalt