Forums > Windsurfing General

Burrum Windfest 2015 - the count down is on!

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 8 Mar 2015
Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
22 Mar 2015 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Tom looks to be planing over in the northern run. Classic lighter wind burrum conditions.

AUS4
NSW, 1251 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Looks likes those North guys could do with some North masts.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Great Photos Justin. Good to catch up with everyone from G.I. last year. Sorry it was so brief. Nice to meet a few new people as well, except for sausage who had a smile from ear to ear as he went past me upwind and made a special effort to to show me it!!!

snorkel962
QLD, 452 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Justin thanks for the pics and a great event. My first windfest- definitely will be back!

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dean 424 said...
Great Photos Justin. Good to catch up with everyone from G.I. last year. Sorry it was so brief. Nice to meet a few new people as well, except for sausage who had a smile from ear to ear as he went past me upwind and made a special effort to to show me it!!!

nice to meet you Dean albeit briefly. Hope to catch you again on the water soon.

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

speaking of smiles....some of the winners.

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Event Thanks and Wrap.

This being our 9th Annual Windfest means next year will be the events 10th birthday celebration.
We can only hope to get another year like this.

Again this year, like previous years, it's been the people who've joined in that have made it so memorable. From 7am briefings to late arvo blasting and late night drinks, there has always been smiles on everyone's faces and always a fantastic laid back approach brought to being involved.

there are a lot of people that deserve our thanks. There are those that drove for days to get here and those that took time from family and work to join in.

Also Thanks to Theresa and Gayle for the catering. Andy for sourcing the drinks and meat and helping throughout the event whenever needed. Peter De Laet for bringing a van full of buoys, flags and event equipment and for being at the front of the line when stuff needed doing. Irene for the help at the bbq. Dylan and Kellie for late night tech support. Kerry for sorting all of the WOD stuff and starting the races and the Australian Windsurfer One Design Association for their help. Peter for help on the start line and the use of his boat.
Plus thanks to everyone that got someone a drink, enjoyed a conversation or helped in any small way during the event.

Also Thanks to our sponsors.
the sponsors do this because they want to give something back to the sport.

Surf FX - Both Ian and Michael compete each year and bring a bag of kit along to show their support
Sunshine Coast Sailboards - Dieter is always ready to help
Windsurfing Gear - Andy has come onboard this year for the first time as well as competing himself.
KA72 - Dylan provides software support each year.
Wingenuity - Support for the one design fleet was so appreciated.
Burrum River Quest - Paula and Greg are a lot of help out on the water.

Plus our Windfest Major Sponsors.

Hot Sails Maui - Australia - Jonathan continues to provide a new GPS sail along with caps and merch

Wind and Surf - Peter has provided so many boards to the prize pool.

We always seem to get an amazing prize pool to celebrate with.

Now to the event results,
A big congrats to Josh and Johanna for taking out the WOD QLD State Titles and to Geoff and Vando for taking out the Rashie titles.

now starting with Speed Sailing.

Yellow Rashie (open) - surf fx harness lines and beer
Michel Van Der Plit - 260.469 points
Brian Hooper - 251.618 points
Chris Kerin - 249.885 points

Red Rashie (legends) surf fx harness lines and beer prize.
Geoff Ringe - 232.714 points
Bruce Healey - 228.914 points
Tibor Ferenczy - 225.082 points

Open Class 2 sec - trophy and t-shirt
Michel Van Der Pligt - 35.232
Mark Richardson - 32.025
Chris Kerin - 31.597

5x10 - trophy and windsurfing gear voucher
Michel Van Der Pligt - 33.216
Mark Richardson - 30.430
Brian Hooper - 30.049

NM - trophy and windsurfing gear voucher
Michel Van Der Pligt - 28.156
Roland Schmid - 26.890
Chris Kerin - 26.797

1hr - trophy and t-shirt
Justin Lord - 22.674
Brian Hooper - 20.835
Dennis Winstanley - 20.513

Alpha - windsurfing gear voucher
Chris Kerin - 22.403
Michel Van Der Pligt - 21.994
Brian Hooper - 20.786

Legends 5x10 - trophy and black projects hat
Geoff Ringe - 29.290
Bruce Healey - 28.622
Tibor Ferenczy - 27.819

NM - trophy and hot sails hat
Geoff Ringe - 26.258
Bruce Healey - 25.826
Tibor Ferenczy - 23.234

Womens - trophies and surf fx Neil pryde helmet.
5x10 Anne - 25.845
NM Anne - 21.743

Now the Course Racing.

Windsurfer One Design - trophy and Wingenuity WOD sail.
Windsurfer One Design QLD Champion - Josh Green
2nd place - Peter De Laet

Womens Windsurfer One Design QLD Champion - trophy and hot sails hat.
Johanna Winstanley.

Raceboard Class - trophy and beer.
1st - Dennis Winstanley
2nd - Michael Corkeron
3rd - Darryl Jones
4th - Tim O'Sullivan

Once racing was complete we held the Windfest event Party and Prize Ceremony. All winners received trophies and prizes for first place results.

Congrats also to those that received a lucky draw prize. the 2 major prizes were.

Hot Sails Maui - Australia GPS sail - Michael Van Der Pligt
Wind and Surf Board - Darryl Jones

this year we had plenty of lucky draw prizes to help us share the joy.

congrats to, Geoff Ringe for winning the Sunshine Coast Sailboards boom. Tom Cameron for the sunshine coast sailboards fin, Anne Lewis for the Surf FX boom plus all those that won windsurfing gear vouchers.

Next year is our Birthday!!!!

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

a word from the water

EaglePointTC
VIC, 4 posts
23 Mar 2015 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Yes got planing had some great runs down the Northern bank up to 24kts.

Flashman
QLD, 74 posts
23 Mar 2015 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Had a great time at my first Burrum Windfest. Big thanks to Justin for organising and running the event and to the generous sponsors.
Great to catch up with all of the old Wellington Point crew and hope to return next year (hopefully with a matching new North mast). Fantastic photos by Justin.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
23 Mar 2015 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Bit of a view of the racetrack! Brmmm Brmmm.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
23 Mar 2015 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Some close quarter action!

Alewi62
QLD, 158 posts
23 Mar 2015 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Another successful event. Thanks to all the sponsors for the great prizes.Also to Windwanders for all the organisation that makes the event happen. It is always great to catch up with old friends and to make new ones - the windsurfing community is fantastic.

Greg and Anne

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
23 Mar 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

One of you Greg fanging past me!

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
23 Mar 2015 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yep big Thanks to all the organizers and sponsors was great to catch up with everyone

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
23 Mar 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still aching from the walk across the desert!

Rolz
QLD, 160 posts
24 Mar 2015 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Justin, let us know when this years CD is ready for purchase

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
24 Mar 2015 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

@ Rolz - will do. I am working through the images right now as luck would have it. this year we are trying to provide images via download to try and make it easier for all. I've got to get a few images off to the sponsors etc so you should see some photos making their way onto social media. Then i'll touch base with Dylan as to easiest place to host them. I don't want to put a time frame on it but will say it will be sooner rather than later.

@ Greeny - love your photos!

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
24 Mar 2015 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Burrum Windfest 2016 - '10th Birthday Celebration'

prelim dates.

Mon 7th March 2016 - Sat 12th March 2016.

Speed HQ is possibly moving to 'The Grand', which is situated on the esplanade further towards the boat ramp.

It is our intention for this coming event to push the hell out of it and encourage everyone to come. Help make our 10th birthday a big one. forget dwelling on the wind! come and make a holiday of it.

If you have thought over the past few years you'd like to come but haven't pushed the button then 2016 IS the year to do it!

the format is simple. longboard racing in the morning, speed/slalom racing in the afternoon and parties at night. we have boats on the water and a general area to sail depending on daily wind direction. it's mate against mate on the same stretch of water. Turn up, strap on a gps and blast, battle it out on the race course against Australia best or do both!

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
25 Mar 2015 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said...
Justin,
Thanks once again - had a blast and got to sail as well . Whilst my feet are cut up and my old body is weary I can't wait for next year. Don't think I'll walk to the Bowls club again though!

What only a few K's sausage!

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
25 Mar 2015 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greenleader said...
sausage said...
Justin,
Thanks once again - had a blast and got to sail as well . Whilst my feet are cut up and my old body is weary I can't wait for next year. Don't think I'll walk to the Bowls club again though!

What only a few K's sausage!

Man I was hungry and it felt like an eternity. Least we picked up the pace once we went from the 60 to 80 zone

PS how good was that steak

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
25 Mar 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

that photo reminds me of the blaire witch

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
25 Mar 2015 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

going through all of the images currently. Josh lighting up the course.

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
26 Mar 2015 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

not to jump the gun but the club has been back and forth the last 24hrs to decide on the best and most effective way to get the images to everyone.

the final outcome has been that we have set up an online shop where we will be uploading the images from the event. all 1800 or so.......
I expect to be finished sorting them all today so further detail will follow.

there will be a nominal fee per image. to cover the costs of paypal fees/website hosting fees etc. but at the end of the day you can take as much or as little as you choose.

additionally the website has photo printing options so you can also order prints or posters or any of the other options available.

we are going to run with a 2 month trial to see if the website can pay for itself. if so we will continue otherwise we'll take it offline after that time.

on a side note we will also host the images from last year's event as well as any other windwanderers merch/photos that people may be interested in.

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
26 Mar 2015 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

this was day 2 of the comp. we had finished the course racing and the wind looked to be building so we headed out. it didn't amount to much so we enjoyed the beautiful day on the bank before heading back in.

was a gorgeous day.

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
26 Mar 2015 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

So far the Speed Sailing photos are up, with the Course Racing photos in progress. http://photos.windwanderers.org.au

Rather than charge a flat fee for a disk of photos, we're offering online sales of the images. You can buy a digital download of the high resolution version of a photo for $3 (or there is a discounted multi-pack) for personal use.

If you have any issues or support questions please email secretary@windwanderers.org.au I will try to keep an eye on this post too in case anything comes up. However, for important issues please email for prompt attention. Dylan.

Gestalt
QLD, 14315 posts
27 Mar 2015 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Raceboard and One Design now online.

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
27 Mar 2015 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Was nice to catch up (although briefly) with most of the Winfest entrants again this year. (missed Ian n Micheal by about 5 minutes, you guys were just leaving when we arrived). Good to see a few new faces at the event. Congrats to the winners and everyone that attended looks like it was a great week! I'll be back next year (& on the water) for sure. Such a great event.

Just checked out all the pics, good one Justin they are fantastic. Some nice colorful longboard shots too!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2015 - the count down is on!" started by Gestalt