Forums > Windsurfing General

Delaminate repair on Clive's iSonic 101

Created by yakspeed > 9 months ago, 7 May 2016
yakspeed
VIC, 104 posts
7 May 2016 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Clive's iSonic 101 delaminated completely on the bottom, so we made a small incision along the rails almost the full length of the board, lifted the lid and filled it with a litre of resin. Sandbagged it, filled the seams with Epifill and sanded it down. Two coats of flowcoat and its good as new - but the proof of the pudding is in sailing it. Cross your fingers, boys an girls...

Shifu
QLD, 1938 posts
7 May 2016 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. I tried this once but it failed again a few months later. You might have better luck than me.

Mark _australia
WA, 22298 posts
7 May 2016 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

I think it will work but oh my - a LITRE !?

Mastbender
1972 posts
8 May 2016 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Did you perhaps weigh the board before starting the repair?
The weight comparison of before and after would be interesting.
I always worry about the seams cracking open during use, all boards flex a little while being ridden.
I've got 3 older boards waiting for that same repair if possible, but haven't touched them yet because I'm still not sure if it's possible.
With that in mind, I've been following this thread~
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Wave-sailing/Whats-Mike-up-to-now/

powersloshin
NSW, 1677 posts
8 May 2016 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

I agree I have seen some boards injected with epoxy and they start absorbing water through the holes, you need to add a layer or fiberglass on top of the cuts to be safe

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
8 May 2016 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

No fibreglass over the joints? I would expect the joints to open.
Let us know how it goes.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
8 May 2016 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said...
No fibreglass over the joints? I would expect the joints to open.
Let us know how it goes.

Yer agree should be faired then glassed

decrepit
WA, 12069 posts
8 May 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Not just joints opening and letting in water. One of those joins is just in front of the fin box, this is possibly the most stressed area on a board, especially in chop or waves.

There's every chance the tail of the board will separate from the rest of it!

decrepit
WA, 12069 posts
8 May 2016 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..
>>>>>> but haven't touched them yet because I'm still not sure if it's possible.
With that in mind, I've been following this thread~
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Wave-sailing/Whats-Mike-up-to-now/

I can almost guarantee this will be successful, not only because rider knows what he's doing, but because I've used a very similar method successfully.

Imax1
QLD, 4650 posts
8 May 2016 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone has a knackered starboard around 80-85 cm wide please call me , Col 0416163807

yakspeed
VIC, 104 posts
9 May 2016 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Nope, we left the back attached so no cut in front of the fin box. Weight shouldn't be an issue as a litre of resin dried will weigh a little less thank kilo. Remember this is a slalom board not a speed machine. As for resin, the Epifill is made to be structurally strong enough, the cuts are not on the edges and should be just fine. The overriding brief was to keep the shape the same as the original.
All those negative comments and not one that said what a good job we did - thanks.

powersloshin
NSW, 1677 posts
9 May 2016 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

You did a great job !!!!

Twisted
39 posts
9 May 2016 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zeeber said..
Nope, we left the back attached so no cut in front of the fin box. Weight shouldn't be an issue as a litre of resin dried will weigh a little less thank kilo. Remember this is a slalom board not a speed machine. As for resin, the Epifill is made to be structurally strong enough, the cuts are not on the edges and should be just fine. The overriding brief was to keep the shape the same as the original.
All those negative comments and not one that said what a good job we did - thanks.

I guess we didn't know that you wanted a pat on your head for what you did. They're not negative comments just opinions that don't agree with yours. Let us know how it goes and how long it lasts for. Great job

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
9 May 2016 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

well, let's see the bright side , no one red thumbed you !!! LOL

yakspeed
VIC, 104 posts
9 May 2016 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sarcasm is the weapon of choice of a weak mind...

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
9 May 2016 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

as far as I'm concerned there was no sacarsm, just humor, as you might have noticed that red thumbs have been disabled recently on the forum

And I actually green thumbed your post cause I enjoyed reading it, was confronted to the same issue with my rrd firerace but gave up and binned it.

so good on you, and great job !

powersloshin
NSW, 1677 posts
9 May 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

You've certainly done a good job, but to protect your investment you could fiberglass on top of the joints. I am surprised that instead of thanking the community for their precious knowledge and friendly advice you have taken it as a negative judgement.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
9 May 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Great work Zeeber. I've repaired some boards and learnt that the rails are key to strenghth, so good that they are intact. I do recall that when sailing the deck and bottom will be in both compression and tension at different times. So some glass over the cut across the board would be a good idea. It would add some more weight albeit small if care was taken.

Tardy
4998 posts
9 May 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Did you say EPIFILL....my best friend ..this stuff is as strong as glue ..and hard as a nut ..good job..there life in the old girl yet,

Mastbender
1972 posts
10 May 2016 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zeeber said..
Sarcasm is the weapon of choice of a weak mind...

Umm, nobody said anything personal, until this post, just saying.

Twisted
39 posts
10 May 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zeeber said..

This looks like sarcasm, as in the "thanks" bit

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
10 May 2016 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Well you get green thumbs from me for acting to repair that board. I have a bad case of procrastination when it comes to doing that stuff.

I am big on "sandbagging" my boards, though only the ocean can hear me saying " you stupid board why don't you go faster, you can't even go upwind, why don't you have footstraps in the right places, your to skinny and you aren't even this years colours"

peguin
WA, 263 posts
10 May 2016 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

whats causing this delamination? I really abuse some of my boards with lots of repairs but never experienced this. Noticed this issue being mentioned more and more.

Zeeber, you repair was experimental for you as per your fingers crossed quote. Best way to learn is by trial & error, so your on a good approach. If this repair fails, you have a least the answers as to why it may have failed, which shortens your future trial & error period for the next repair (if required). So a possible future result if you think about it.

decrepit
WA, 12069 posts
10 May 2016 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
peguin said..
whats causing this delamination? I really abuse some of my boards with lots of repairs but never experienced this. Noticed this issue being mentioned more and more.

>>>

Many cause for delam.
Failure to undo bung when the board gets hot or under low pressure in a plane's cargo hold is a good way.
Fatigue of the foam by heavy jump landings or lots of high speed chop work, especially with heavier sailors.
This last one is helped by a soft bottom layup, (not enough glass or carbon).

You can see in the first pic above where the foam is heavily stuck to the bottom, this is foam fatigue and it's separated a few mms below the surface. Once this happens it only needs a bit of air to get in that gap between the separated foam, then the next time you go sailing, the pressure on the bottom will force that air outwards, lifting the sandwich off the foam even more. The worse it gets, the worse it gets.

I'm not sure if there is any difference in foam quality, some may be more prone to fatigue than others, after all it's just a whole pile of been bag balls heated up so they stick together. If it's not a good stick, delam is going to happen more easily.

Mark _australia
WA, 22298 posts
10 May 2016 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Yes but in addition I can see a LOT of styro that simply has not stuck to the divinycell
Insufficient resin.

You can see a big cross shape where it has adhered well, I wonder if they poured resin straight down the centre, then across the board in two places, and squeegeed it out from there. Then more was squeegeed out to the right in the pic and of course the straight lines where they poured have more resin. Certainly the best adhesion is close to one of those crosses.

Cobra shoddiness has as much to do with it as anything else.

All to save 50c of resin and 100g of weight at most.

decrepit
WA, 12069 posts
10 May 2016 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Mark, If it was a board I'd made those crosses would be center line marks, because they are a bit depressed, the resin has a better grip, I think that's why there's more foam adhesion there, not more resin, a pour couldn't possibly be that narrow. I think the adhesion to the foam although not brilliant is probably adequate.
The Delam started under the footstraps where most of the foam is stuck to the sandwich, and spread from there. More resin would only have slowed this process a little bit. What's needed is a stiffer sandwich that doesn't flex as much. Thicker d-cell or more carbon.

Mark _australia
WA, 22298 posts
10 May 2016 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Actually yeah, looking at it that way I do think they are more like marking out lines

But really, I dunno about the rest. Every mass produced board I ever repaired with major damage has an area that is clearly not wet-out right.......... and it just happens to be just where the crap started

HotBodMon
NSW, 577 posts
11 May 2016 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Irrelevant & probably wrong but that board looks futurastic in design

decrepit
WA, 12069 posts
11 May 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Actually yeah, looking at it that way I do think they are more like marking out lines

But really, I dunno about the rest. Every mass produced board I ever repaired with major damage has an area that is clearly not wet-out right.......... and it just happens to be just where the crap started

I haven't had to pull the bottom off one of my boards, so don't know how it would look. But I've gone over to the wet the cloth out on the bench method. It certainly uses a lot less resin than wetting it out on the board, but that's the resin that would have soaked into the foam. The first few I did I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough adhesion, but so far it hasn't been a problem, and I've done a lot of km on them.
I suspect this is the method the factories use, so the cloth is well wet out but there's not much surplus to soak into the foam. Vacuuming the sandwich on squeezes a fair bit of resin out of the cloth on to the foam and d-cell though.

R1DER
WA, 1461 posts
11 May 2016 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

As mentioned earlier in this thread I'm doing delam repair but its a bit different as I'm re changing the bottom shape. Other times I've ripped the bottom of as in the way the guy did it in this thread painted on 100ml of resin mixed with some qcell and vacuumed it back on. Then around the cut on either side I've routed about 2cm wide down to the underneath glass put in a layer of 4 oz glass. On top of the glass replaced the routed out PVC with a new 2cm wide PVC then 2 layers of 4 oz over this. Sometimes the bottom I have vac bagged in has sunk a bit which I think is due to the foam getting damaged when the board had been used in a delam state.
Everyday we have a minimum and maximum temperature in a 24 hour period. If the vent plug is closed the board will expand and shrink daily, this stresses the weak bond between the beads 365 times a year. I also agree that softer laminates also cause the board to flex more and some bottom shapes slap more which stresses the board. The only time I close my vent plugs is when I go sailing on, I open them up again when I've finished.
Most Cobra factory delams I've see started 1 to 2cm inside the EPS foam. Yeah I've also seen some very dry super thin glass inside the board's

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Delaminate repair on Clive's iSonic 101" started by yakspeed