Forums > Windsurfing General

First Annual Sailboard Guide 1984-85 Australia

Created by Flying Dutchman > 9 months ago, 9 Jul 2017
Flying Dutchman
WA, 1464 posts
9 Jul 2017 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

My Dad found this book in his garage the other day. It's in great condition. There's heaps of boards in there but the part that I liked was the dealer listing. The good 'ol days when there were windsurf shops all over the place!

drift
VIC, 737 posts
9 Jul 2017 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome! Brings back memories of poring over this guide at school and wishing I could buy the lot!!

AUS4
NSW, 1251 posts
9 Jul 2017 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
I see my Mistral sail with all the red dots in the middle of the picture.

Flying Dutchman said..

My Dad found this book in his garage the other day. It's in great condition. There's heaps of boards in there but the part that I liked was the dealer listing. The good 'ol days when there were windsurf shops all over the place!

I see my Mistral sail with all the red dots in the middle of the picture.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
9 Jul 2017 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Haha I remember that book what a flash back

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
9 Jul 2017 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Aagh such great memories of exciting times, Great post, Thanks

waricle
WA, 732 posts
10 Jul 2017 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Wow! Bought gear at a surprising number of those placesdown south, there's still a few of these shops in business now too. Midweek twilight longboard racing at neutral bay.. takes me back too, thanks for sharing.

Mastbender
1972 posts
11 Jul 2017 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Second Wind sailboards (the very first ad on the second page) interesting, I wonder if they are the same guys that started Second Wind in Maui which was in 1985? There is also one in the Gorge (Hood River), but I don't know when that one opened up.

Mark _australia
WA, 22245 posts
11 Jul 2017 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

^^ there is a Second Wind in Western Australia too.

I wondered about the Windforce shop. That is obviously pre-dating the one we just had. But the one we had for the last 15yrs, there was a competition to name it, and somebody won a sail or a board or something for inventing the name Windforce.
fess up - did you cheat?

actiomax
NSW, 1575 posts
11 Jul 2017 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

The last picture of the t/c runner was for barlow marine I was working there &we were unloading a shipping container a week & a few times more of boards .
I've still got the spacer dad bought then.
In the shed .

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
11 Jul 2017 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

The Second Wind shop in Cremorne Sydney was where I got my first board & rig. A second hand One Design for $200.
It closed awhile later. The store in Maui was started by Ralph Sifford.
Scotty O'Connors brother Craig opened another Second Wind in Warriewood and a Euro guy had the Sailboard Exchange in Curl Curl all just doing used gear.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"First Annual Sailboard Guide 1984-85 Australia" started by Flying Dutchman