Gollito 2014

Created by terminal > 9 months ago, 13 Mar 2014
MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
15 Mar 2014 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
albers said..

IMO, I believe certain people (myself included), feel threatened by this level of windsurfing skill level as it moves further away from where most recreational windsurfers are at.

Hmm. Curious comment to say that you feel threatened by this level of skill. I guess it can seem a little intimidating.

But I think one of the really great things about this sport, from what I have heard from those with first-hand experience, and from the very few "brushes with fame" that I have had over the years, is that the guys (and gals) at this level aren't untouchable, egotistical RSoles, and are apparently happy to talk to mere mortals at recreational level. I think the stoke is shared equally, irrespective of skill level.

How stoked were you when you first planed out of a gybe, or nailed your first waterstart?

KA360
NSW, 803 posts
15 Mar 2014 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
geared4knots said..

and it helps your general sailing, any sort of freestyle you learn/try has a benefit to your sailing, wavesailing, blasting or even slalom!! (dont know exactly how on the last one but i will find an!! answer)

A slalom or GPS sailor wouldn't have a clew of how to get out of a situation where your front hand has let go of the boom or you can't sheet out .
Their only option is let go of the sail and fall in.

No problem for Taty Frans or Lady Sarah Quita

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
14 Mar 2014 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Firstly I get excited about any form of windsurfing and when done as well as Gollito in that video I don't get too jealous as I realise even if I hadn't stopped sailing for over 20 years there's no way I would have had the talent to pull of one tenth of those manoeuvres. Watching the top echelons of our sport in any discipline is thoroughly enjoyable.

Select to expand quote
KA360 said..

A slalom or GPS sailor wouldn't have a clew of how to get out of a situation where your front hand has let go of the boom or you can't sheet out .

That's not quite right - maybe if you give those freestylers a 8+metre slalom sail and see how long they can hold it backhand for. Slalom sailors are incredibly talented too - it's just not evident as everyone thinks it's incredibly easy to go super fast in extreme chop whilst battling it out with 7 other sailors and all the whilst competing to be first at the gybe marks.

terminal
1421 posts
14 Mar 2014 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Freestyle can help your sail handling a bit.

Caesar messing about in very light wind.

KA360
NSW, 803 posts
15 Mar 2014 1:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

KA360 said..

That's not quite right - maybe if you give those freestylers a 8+metre slalom sail and see how long they can hold it backhand for. Slalom sailors are incredibly talented too - it's just not evident as everyone thinks it's incredibly easy to go super fast in extreme chop whilst battling it out with 7 other sailors and all the whilst competing to be first at the gybe marks.

You do realise that Sarah Quita is the best female slalom racer by a country mile (I don't think she's ever come second in her heat) and most male slalom racers will never get a top ten result in the PWA like Taty. These freestylers must be holding about the same size sail as the others in the race.

And anyway, you don't need to hold it "backhand" for that long. It's about knowing how to deal with the situation not about strength. Finesse is something all sailors can use more of and the best way to learn it is doing light wind freestyle like Caesar in the vid above.

Battle
536 posts
15 Mar 2014 3:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KA360 said..

Finesse is something all sailors can use more of and the best way to learn it is doing light wind freestyle like Caesar in the vid above.

That's so true. But who likes practicing light wind ?? They say you should go out with a big board and 5m sail , in light wind, to practice clew first, pivot duck gybe, back winded sailing, and all the rest ... and I'm sure it helps. But you have to be pretty dedicated to rig up in 5 kts!! Most of us just want to plane!

Caesar works at the beach almost everyday, and jumps on the board (same as in the vid ) whenever he gets bored.

qldnacra
QLD, 455 posts
15 Mar 2014 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haircut said..

qldnacra said..
Tell me YOU didn't get a woody over watching that though. As soon as I saw it I thought about how much you would love it.

i had some myocardial infarctions

For a little while I was addlepated after reading this post

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Gollito 2014" started by terminal