Forums > Windsurfing General

Highfly 300 finbox and how to tie the boom ?

Created by Sandfoot > 9 months ago, 7 Jan 2016
Sandfoot
VIC, 567 posts
7 Jan 2016 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

I'm putting this old beater together, the fin has gone missing, would be great to make contact with anyone that has a compatible fin.

The fin pushes in from the back by the looks of it.

Also the original boom is gone so I've got an old Tyronsea boom, just unsure how to tie the boom on so it's firm. I've managed to go around the mast twice and then back up to the hole in the boom, then dropping the boom down towards the foot of the sail to tighten back on itself but the knot just seems to get pulled down into the hole and it loosens off ?

Thanks

------------------------------Below picture is looking straight at the back of the board with the bottom up, but pic rotated...

clarence
TAS, 979 posts
8 Jan 2016 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Those hifly fins were hard to get 20 years ago. You will really struggle to find one.

I modified a hifly like this back in the day by setting a US style fin box into the slot with resin. Just be aware that it will create a lot of heat when you use a large volume of resin, so use slow hardener (for epoxy) or not too much hardener (for polyester resin). This original slot should be entirely sealed/watertight, so it should be fine to use polyester resin.

Throw the mast cruncher boom out and get a clamp style one instead.

Clarence

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
7 Jan 2016 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with Clarence, even when tied properly those booms were never real firm. But it does look like you're using rope that's too thick. I think there's a smaller hole to one side, the rope should start from there with a knot on the end to stop it pulling through. Then after you've gone around the mast 2 or 3 times, it should go through a couple of other holes forming a loop the the rope end goes through, pull everything tight, leaving the rope loop until last. the holes for the loop should be obvious as there should be teeth for clamping moulded into the plastic between them. Then when you pull the boom down the rope loop locks on the rope end, and everything should end up nice and tight.

Jupiter
2156 posts
7 Jan 2016 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Unless you are doing this for nostalgic reasons, I suggest you nail it on your fence post to provide some extra strength to your fence.

With the huge range of very cheap second-hand/third-hand/forth-hand complete windsurfers, I believe it is more productive and more fun to pay for one of those.

This kind of boom set-up is not the best, ergonomic-wise. The swing-down wishbone set-up will not keep the boom firmly on the mast because there are two contact points between the boom and the mast. If you make the knot too tight, it will crush the mast. If it is too loose, the boom will move around too much The modern clamp down design is so much more positive.

Sandfoot
VIC, 567 posts
8 Jan 2016 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Scuffy, that's what I thought I could do is resin a fin box into the channel. Cheers mate

Sandfoot
VIC, 567 posts
8 Jan 2016 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
I agree with Clarence, even when tied properly those booms were never real firm. But it does look like you're using rope that's too thick. I think there's a smaller hole to one side, the rope should start from there with a knot on the end to stop it pulling through. Then after you've gone around the mast 2 or 3 times, it should go through a couple of other holes forming a loop the the rope end goes through, pull everything tight, leaving the rope loop until last. the holes for the loop should be obvious as there should be teeth for clamping moulded into the plastic between them. Then when you pull the boom down the rope loop locks on the rope end, and everything should end up nice and tight.

That Sounds right, I had another look at the boom and there are other holes for the rope to go through which could work better with a smaller diameter rope. Thanks mate.

Sandfoot
VIC, 567 posts
8 Jan 2016 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jupiter said..
Unless you are doing this for nostalgic reasons, I suggest you nail it on your fence post to provide some extra strength to your fence.

With the huge range of very cheap second-hand/third-hand/forth-hand complete windsurfers, I believe it is more productive and more fun to pay for one of those.

This kind of boom set-up is not the best, ergonomic-wise. The swing-down wishbone set-up will not keep the boom firmly on the mast because there are two contact points between the boom and the mast. If you make the knot too tight, it will crush the mast. If it is too loose, the boom will move around too much The modern clamp down design is so much more positive.

I like the nostalgia of the old windsurfers, F2, Bombora, Hifly...

I will look for a mast protector..and a new boom.

Just want to use the windsurfer for the kids and friends that want to have a sail.
Thanks.

westozwind
WA, 1393 posts
8 Jan 2016 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandfoot said..

Jupiter said..

I like the nostalgia of the old windsurfers, F2, Bombora, Hifly...

I will look for a mast protector..and a new boom.

Just want to use the windsurfer for the kids and friends that want to have a sail.
Thanks.

That should put them off the sport for good. New learner gear/SUP's are way more user friendly.

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
8 Jan 2016 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
westozwind said..
>>>>

That should put them off the sport for good. New learner gear/SUP's are way more user friendly.

Yep, us oldies tortured ourselves learning to windsurf, there's no need for that any more.

mattspoonersurf
38 posts
8 Jan 2016 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

To attach these booms, you need to lie the boom alongside the mast so that the clew is in line with the mast foot. The rope (in-haul) at the clamp end should form a loop with a large figure 8 knot at one end. the loop should go through the boom and round the mast, there would normally be large hole with a small hole joined onto it - so you pass the figure 8 through the large hole and then push the ropes into the smaller hole so that the knot sits above the small hole to stop it pulling through. Sometime there may be a hook that you just hook the loop over - but these hooks tend to bend or break off so were not ideal.

When you have secured the in-haul (clamp) swing the bottom of the boom up to the clew - this will tighten the in-haul massively (to the point that it can break the mast if you have not adjusted the length correctly

If my memory is correct, the in-haul line should be above the boom clamp

The rope looks like the right thickness to me. If it is adjusted correctly it should hold the boom reasonably securely to the mast and not allow any significant side to side movement.

Remember that the old aluminum arms will be very corroded and very weak - so I wouldn't expect them to hold out well. If your mast has been left outside for years, it will also be very weak

Sandfoot
VIC, 567 posts
9 Jan 2016 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mattspoonersurf said..
To attach these booms, you need to lie the boom alongside the mast so that the clew is in line with the mast foot. The rope (in-haul) at the clamp end should form a loop with a large figure 8 knot at one end. the loop should go through the boom and round the mast, there would normally be large hole with a small hole joined onto it - so you pass the figure 8 through the large hole and then push the ropes into the smaller hole so that the knot sits above the small hole to stop it pulling through. Sometime there may be a hook that you just hook the loop over - but these hooks tend to bend or break off so were not ideal.

When you have secured the in-haul (clamp) swing the bottom of the boom up to the clew - this will tighten the in-haul massively (to the point that it can break the mast if you have not adjusted the length correctly

If my memory is correct, the in-haul line should be above the boom clamp

The rope looks like the right thickness to me. If it is adjusted correctly it should hold the boom reasonably securely to the mast and not allow any significant side to side movement.

Remember that the old aluminum arms will be very corroded and very weak - so I wouldn't expect them to hold out well. If your mast has been left outside for years, it will also be very weak

Thanks Matt, Yep need to thread the inhaul rope through the correct holes so it self tightens.

I've found and seen it's better to have the boom lying on the mast facing the head of the sail and then pulling the boom down towards the foot, this way gravity helps tighten the boom.

Thanks for your help.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Highfly 300 finbox and how to tie the boom ?" started by Sandfoot