Forums > Windsurfing General

Mauritius Freeride Challenge 2016

Created by izymiester > 9 months ago, 22 Jan 2016
izymiester
WA, 325 posts
22 Jan 2016 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

For those paradise adventure seekers looking for a chilled out week long event look no further.

AUSTRALIA team 2016 looking for fun energetic and passionate windsurfers to help take the team title!

Awesome deals on flights, baggage, transport, accommodation and alcohol :)

Everything is well organised and no stress from landing on the island to jumping back on the plane to the big Oz

KJ
VIC, 157 posts
27 Jan 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Might be interested in this.

What are the wind conditions like i.e what size of gear is used

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
29 Jan 2016 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Winds are generally 12-23 knots

Most reliable setup for 2 boards and 3 sails would be 8.6, 7.8 and 7.0 sails and a 110 and 124-138 litre board (70 and 80-85 wide)

The place is just paradise and the water is super flat and fast with easy gybe marks. The racing is relaxed with no rush between races, even time for a quick beverage at the bar.

I went to Zilwa in 2014 and it's a pretty flash hotel with a really cool beach pool and bar. Heaps of beach beds and shades for partners to chill out. Beach is protected by a rock point from the wind.

See the website for more info and rules

www.mauritiusfreeride.com

sailquik
VIC, 6091 posts
29 Jan 2016 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izymiester said..

Most reliable setup for 2 boards and 3 sails would be 8.6, 7.8 and 7.0 sails and a 110 and 124-138 litre board (70 and 80-85 wide)

The place is just paradise and the water is super flat and fast with easy gybe marks. The racing is relaxed with no rush between races, even time for a quick beverage at the bar.

I went to Zilwa in 2014 and it's a pretty flash hotel with a really cool beach pool and bar. Heaps of beach beds and shades for partners to chill out. Beach is protected by a rock point from the wind.

What size/weight of sailor is that recommendation for?

If the numbers are typical and the wind is steady, I am thinking a bit smaller for me at 72 KG. Maybe one size smaller in sails and boards?

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
29 Jan 2016 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

izymiester said..

What size/weight of sailor is that recommendation for?

If the numbers are typical and the wind is steady, I am thinking a bit smaller for me at 72 KG. Maybe one size smaller in sails and boards?

This would be for about 75-95kg

At 72kg i would consider 65 wide and 78-80 wide boards for the two options.

The winds are very tropical and don't have as much punch as the winds in many other places so you can hold the sail down in windy conditions a little easier.

I would look at the forecast just before leaving for Mauritius and decide how big or small on the spectrum you would go.

sailquik
VIC, 6091 posts
29 Jan 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers!

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
4 Feb 2016 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Word on the dodo island is that the marathon is 50km this year.. And only 1 gybe

Fast fun flat water over endless blue lagoons, so it's not as tiring as it sounds

Ninjury
QLD, 167 posts
4 Feb 2016 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izymiester said..
Word on the dodo island is that the marathon is 50km this year.. And only 1 gybe

Fast fun flat water over endless blue lagoons, so it's not as tiring as it sounds

It can be tiring if you rig the 7.2 instead of the 8.5 you should have because it was quite windy when you rigged up, then bob around for about 6 km before turning back and bobbing back against the tidal current, arriving long after the front runners have finished.

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
5 Feb 2016 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sav911 said..

izymiester said..

It can be tiring if you rig the 7.2 instead of the 8.5 you should have because it was quite windy when you rigged up, then bob around for about 6 km before turning back and bobbing back against the tidal current, arriving long after the front runners have finished.

Sorry mate, the event is well planned and they wont run the race unless the wind is consistent and reliable on the entire course. It will be from the prominent trade wind direction and all weather factors lining up . Which it is most days there. Plus there is several rescue craft with beer

Man0verBoard
WA, 629 posts
5 Feb 2016 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

I got a quote from the sponsoring hotel to stay 7 nights. AUD$315(incl 20% discount) per night - 100% payable in advance to secure the room and 100% cancellation fee.
Airport transfers $100 each way.
Flights AUD$1000 return.

€150 entry fee

Around $3700 Aussi for the week

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
10 Feb 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Man0verBoard said...
I got a quote from the sponsoring hotel to stay 7 nights. AUD$315(incl 20% discount) per night - 100% payable in advance to secure the room and 100% cancellation fee.
Flights AUD$1000 return.

€150 entry fee

Airport transfers can be organised through organiser of the event, a large lorry and vans if flying together will cost about 40 aud a head to travel a good hour to the hotel and heaps of room for gear.

As for accommodation I have received a pdf of the pricing for the hotel from the event (PM me with email for PDF) organiser and the following rates apply:

105 euro for a single room going solo and not sharing plus 35 euro for buffet. Total 140 euro.

The best way to go cheap is sharing and superior room for 70 euro each plus 35 buffet. Total 105 euro which is about 170 aud a night.

170 x 10 nights plus 1000 flights and 240 aud for entry comes to a combined total of 2940. Add baggage of about 60 aud each way and airport transfers for 80 aud return. Your looking at a total including all accommodation, food, transport and baggage of 3140 aud. You wont need to spend a cent over there if you don't want to since we should all be very busy racing eating drinking and sleeping :)

The event is worth more than the value of 3140 for an amazing 5 Star hotel and event. You are basically having an island tour guide of 4 different sailing locations and organised fun racing with windsurfers from all over the world in a fun team chilled format on dead flat water and magical lagoons.

I would highly recommend, I have been 2 years in a row and everyone who has been can not miss it the following year. The entire Australian team from 2015 was immediately booked in to go the next year with no hesitation.

PM me for more details about the comp, transport, pdf with prices or Mauritius

AUS 808
WA, 455 posts
10 Feb 2016 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Man0verBoard said..
Flights AUD$1000 return.

€150 entry fee

I was quoted different rates:
Maybe you were quoted a single room or I was quoted a flash one.
Also the flight from Perth do not line up with the competition dates so you have to stay longer.
The airfares are $1360 less the discount.

My quote:
Number of persons: 2 adults
Stay dates: from 02nd to 07th August 2016 (5 nights)
Rooms:
Enjoy 10% off with our Islander Offer
-?1 Superior Sea View room : Euros 319 per room, per night (was Euros 354)
Our rates include your accommodation, our All-in All-out package, government and service taxes as well as free access to our complimentary water and land activities.

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
10 Feb 2016 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

The prices I have quoted are correct I have been discussing and verifying with organizer. Please see PDF. I can't post it on here. If we book as a group we may get further discount.

At this stage 105 euro for superior room and 70 if sharing.

It's 35 euro for extra kid

The buffet includes drinks breakfast and dinner for 35 euro as quoted in my previous post.

Beers are 2.5 Euro

There will be a DEDICATED beach bar at the hotel for the windsurfing event. It will be a meeting point and charging station before and inbetween races

col5555
WA, 378 posts
10 Feb 2016 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Whats in the mini bar ? all complimentary I hope like last year

I am looking to share a room if anyone in the same boat ! (prefer no snorers )

Does the buffet include alchohic drinks ? cant start the morning without a bloody mary

Ninjury
QLD, 167 posts
10 Feb 2016 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

If you've flown Air Mauritius before, make sure you join the KestrelFlyer club. As long as you still have the travel dates and booking reference you can claim points for flights within the last 3 years. You get 3000 points for a round trip from Perth, which you can exchange for extra baggage allowance at 700pts per kg.

MRI3
1 posts
10 Feb 2016 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys here are some détails :
105 euro for superior room and 70€ if sharing = breakfast + diner included

35€ extra is to get the all in all out package = hotels-attitude.com/hotel-packages/all-inclusive-package
If you drink as much beer as an average AUS, you should take the all in !

Check the bar and launching area :

<div>zilwa-hotel-mauritius.com/restaurant-bar

KJ
VIC, 157 posts
10 Feb 2016 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

what's the baggage allowance. is it 2 x 23kg?

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
10 Feb 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KJ said...

You can take 3

and if travelling in a group may be able to talk nicely and just pay the 40 euro for the 3 bags in total instead of 80 euro like we did last year. Also if travelling in group maybe let airline know about your bags since last year about 4 or 5 of us was tight with about 16 bags. They had to remove some cargo. Air Mauritius have been very good with this competition and the baggage

Man0verBoard
WA, 629 posts
11 Feb 2016 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

This is sounding better & better

KJ
VIC, 157 posts
11 Feb 2016 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izymiester said..

KJ said...

You can take 3

and if travelling in a group may be able to talk nicely and just pay the 40 euro for the 3 bags in total instead of 80 euro like we did last year. Also if travelling in group maybe let airline know about your bags since last year about 4 or 5 of us was tight with about 16 bags. They had to remove some cargo. Air Mauritius have been very good with this competition and the baggage

is that 3 x 23kg?

is there a weight limit?

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
11 Feb 2016 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KJ said...
izymiester said..

KJ said...

You can take 3

is that 3 x 23kg?

is there a weight limit?

If it's over 23 you will have to pay overweight and the limit of weight is 32kg per bag or just double check air mauriitus website it could be 30kg it's hard to read. From my experience it would be cheaper to keep all bags under 23kg keep them happy and maybe get the extra bag in. I think more than 3 bags will be pushing their patience

If there is a few partners coming then we could use them for baggage so that it's not more than 3 bags per person

col5555
WA, 378 posts
16 Mar 2016 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Izzy - Any update with airfare information

Man0verBoard
WA, 629 posts
20 Mar 2016 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

I'm booking soon - training started last week yieeew!!!

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
29 Mar 2016 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

For its 5th year, the Indian Ocean Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Team Championship will be held at the Zilwa Attitude from the 2nd to the 7th of August with some amazing races around the island.

Four categories :
- Windsurf Race
- Windsurf Freeride
- Kitesurf twin tip
- Kitesurf Race (anything else than twin tip)

Over the 6 days of Waiting period, we will choose the best 4 windy days to race.

SPOTS & RACES

1 > Le MORNE CLASSIC (South)
This race is also known as being THE CLASSIC. Held at le Morne in an epic downwind slalom race, this race is unique in the world as it is held only few metres away from the beach where hundreds of spectators can enjoy the show.This is a fast & intense race !
As reaches are quite short, kiters & windsurfers wont start together. This is a twintip race only for kiters.

2 > Pte DESNY CROSSING (South-East)
This race is the biggest Challenge as it is not only the longest race of the event but most probably of the world : 20 km to Ile Aux Cerf + 10 km slalom on the flatest lagoon of the island + 20 km back to the Preskil Beach Resort. 50km of pure pleasure while discovering the East coast by the sea !!!
Depending on the weather forecast, this race will hopefully be done twice. Starts will be windsurf & kitesurf together but with different reach to avoid shallow waters for foilers.

3 > ZILWA DOWNWIND (North-East)
Anse la Raie is the windiest spot in Mauritius with a huge lagon where we will be doing PWA style downwind slalom.
As reaches are quite short, kiters & windsurfers wont start together. This is a twintip race only for kiters.

All races are designed to make you have a maximum of fun. No need to be a champion... but the winner overall will definitely be the best rider !

For more info :
mauritiusfreeride.com

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
9 Jun 2016 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

As the winter cold sets in,let me remind you about this Deluxe winter getaway.

And Hardly needing to persuade everyone to come join the Australian team in stealing the Mauritius Freeride Challenge Team trophy of 2016.

The top 5 riders make up the points.

We have a few East Coast riders on the team but hoping to get some more to make the trip a memorable one

Hurry before your beach front homes wash away !!

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
16 Jun 2016 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Currently the Australian team stands at:

10 windsurfers
2 kiters
7 non competitors

With south Africa much the same boat and other teams Seychelles Islands, France, UK, Swiss building this is going to be huge!!

Pros attending that I know of are:

Pierre Mortefon
Patrik Diethelm
Karen Jaggi
Nicolas Warembourg

World of windsurf and other media outlets will be there to help show the everyone this paradise outside of the bubble!

Defi wind inventor Phillipe Bru will be the race director as there is plans for this to be a defi wind in 2017

We will be posting daily stories of the event so watch this space

Ninjury
QLD, 167 posts
22 Jun 2016 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

A ship ran aground there a couple of days ago

www.maritime-executive.com/article/attempted-mutiny-leads-to-grounding

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
24 Jun 2016 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yep some friends from Mauritius pictures before it got to the cliffs and on the cliff

Le Bouchon beach is where the land photos were taken

Need a tow mate!!??

N1GEL
NSW, 861 posts
10 Nov 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Any word on when the 2017 dates will be announced, Izzy?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Mauritius Freeride Challenge 2016" started by izymiester