Forums > Windsurfing General

Mistral Equipe LCS XR 1988 Carbon

Created by RichardG > 9 months ago, 5 Nov 2015
RichardG
WA, 3746 posts
5 Nov 2015 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

This reports the completion of the making good of this board so it can be sailed.

Just fixed the daggerboard with the pivot pins and glued them in with epoxy glue.

Took apart the mast track and reassembled it with new red button and spring (from Mr Ian Sampson's collection )
The mast track "job" that was labour intensive (took me many hours) but now I have done it I could do it in about 15 minutes again or less. If anyone needs help with a similar effort I would be happy to assist.

The mistral adjustable mast track works now and it has a new modified mistral mast base so it can take chinook US cup style extensions - the best of both worlds..Mark Taylor of Surfsail did a great job. I would in hindsight have used safety straps around the rubber uni but I do now have the mistral rope leash in use as well [so when the uni breaks I will get safety straps next time..]

Original footstraps just needed additional screws (at regulation 16 mm max length )-Mark Taylor of Surfsail modified some standard ones for me to meet mistral requirements.

Filled up a few small dings with epoxy putty, also sealed some parts with sikaflex 291 as well and some painting of mistral livery which had long since faded. Deck grip appears fine..

This is the type of raceboard I wanted (actually I wanted a Hifly Race 380 Pro 1984-85) when a young impoverished student in the 1980s but couldn't afford after spending all my money on wave boards.

I can't wait to sail it.I am going to use a KA Concept 8.5 m2 2011 sail or a NP RAF Supersonic 2000 9.0 m2 on a NP 490 mast..which I already have..

This is not the faster second generation 1990s Equipes but rather the replacement of the original Mistral Panam (from 1983-84). This Equipe is the first model produced '86 - '88, 210 liters volume, winged tail, kind of a big brother to the classic Mistral Malibu Race. The Equipe XR is exact replica of Robby Naish's world cup winning race board and was shaped by the late great Harold Iggy (former shaper of Dewey Weber surfboards in 60s and total surf legend RIP) and Rick Naish. That is what makes this the board it is-so special...It is a damn sight cheaper than buying a Windsurfer one design too...also cheaper than a Windsup...

Full Specs are:

Mistral Equipe LCS-XR

NB "Light Compound System" Carbon "Extra reinforced" "Exact Replica"

- Length-----------------------------------------------372 cm
--Width------------------------------------------------65 cm
--Volume----------------------------------------------210 litres
--Weight----------------------------------------------13.5 kg
--Centreboard----------------------------------------62 cm epoxy
Original Fin- -----------------------------------------US box 32 cm ( have a pointer profile US box carbon 34.5 cm Windsurfing Hawaii fin)
--Year Produced--------------------------------------1986-1988 [I think my one is 1988 based on daggerboard stamp.although red mast base is stamped 1984.... as those parts were used on the whole 1984 range...including Panam MK1...

Cheers Richard

NelsonFoils
190 posts
5 Nov 2015 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

I had both the HiFly (in 85) and the Equipe in 86 and the Equipe was the better one .
The yellow Hifly had the nose up to high ...and the tail to narrow .

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Mistral Equipe LCS XR 1988 Carbon" started by RichardG