Forums > Windsurfing General

RDM advantages over SDM for a 400

Created by Orange Whip > 9 months ago, 17 Nov 2018
Orange Whip
QLD, 1044 posts
17 Nov 2018 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

I've been impressed lately with the difference a 100% late model mast makes to the performance of my bigger sails so am planning to upgrade my 400 to 100%. I've never used an RDM, is the performance, longevity or otherwise worth the extra expense of having to get an RDM extension as well?

Tardy
5013 posts
17 Nov 2018 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

You bet it is ...specially in the smaller sizes ..

RDM 90 or 100 ...so nice and forgiving to use .

first thing I noticed going to RDM ,was less catapults .

and yes they are strong ,the wall is a lot thicker .

forceten
1312 posts
17 Nov 2018 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

I have used RDM from 2000. I use in all Sails now, my largest is 7.0. When I had a 8.5 Lion with Ezzy 490, the SDM at 100% was better for me. 7.5 was a toss up.
Smaller sails , like the 400 would fit, I always use the skinny.
Several negative to RDM, they sink faster, hurt more when hit on the head( pointier) wear helmet alleviate that, grip when tacking, is a +-, depends on hand size, slightly less reflex when really powered up, a personal reflection.
Positives , easy to rig , better lo wind performance , stronger.

yes you need a RDM EXT.
If you need the 400 anyway, def get it, if not def get it anyway.

i also have a few different RDMs, powerex, no limits, Maverx, Ezzy , Hot Sails. The Ultra light versions, do offer better performance, I would not lay out the $$ for 1 , to use on 1 sail only, unless you have very deep pockets.

MagicRide
688 posts
18 Nov 2018 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

RDM makes gibes more convenient, lighter in the hands, plus lightens the rig and usually the quality and structural integrity is much improved.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
18 Nov 2018 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

RDM only feel lighter, in fact most of the time they are slightly heavier.
But also close to unbreakable so very reassuring when sailing in open ocean.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
18 Nov 2018 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

You can run an RDM in a standard extension if you want to. It's just a little inconvenient to adjust and you may have to cobble a through pin and a mast base plug for the mast to sit on.
Oh yes, and it may intefere with the bottom camber inducer if you use such things.

forceten
1312 posts
18 Nov 2018 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..
You can run an RDM in a standard extension if you want to. It's just a little inconvenient to adjust and you may have to cobble a through pin and a mast base plug for the mast to sit on.
Oh yes, and it may intefere with the bottom camber inducer if you use such things.

These were made , oh 2001 or so. They weren't very effective . I have one still, waiting for it to become vintage so I can sell it on ebay

forceten
1312 posts
18 Nov 2018 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MagicRide said..
RDM makes gibes more convenient, lighter in the hands, plus lightens the rig and usually the quality and structural integrity is much improved.

Convenient How ? Oh, easier to rig, take up less space, ok.
A 100% carbon SDM , can be lighter in weight, than same size RDM.
the quality of either are comparable, Usually , of the same brand.
strength is improved , but then it depends on whose masts are compared.

do I use RDM, read my post above.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
18 Nov 2018 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

NotWal said..

These were made , oh 2001 or so. They weren't very effective . I have one still, waiting for it to become vintage so I can sell it on ebay

What was, and why wasn't it effective?

forceten
1312 posts
18 Nov 2018 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..

forceten said..

NotWal said..

Was ..a adapter to use a RDM mast, on a SDM extension. Had a collar with inner diameter to match the RDMs, a pyramid cone ,that went inside the collar,and then was supported by the pin through the holes in the extension.
About the same as it was on the market the first RDM extension , that I remember, by Windsurf HAWAII, came out, which had different sized sleeves to make elevated adjustments. Both were crap.

MagicRide
688 posts
18 Nov 2018 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have Ezzy Hookipa RDMs, and notice huge improvements every where in my sailing from SDMs. But my old SDMs weren't mostly all carbon content Like Ezzy masts are. Like I said, from lighter, to easier manoeuvring. They slide in the sail sleeve much easier. Especially if you have Ezzy sails, it's a windsurfing wet dream! Lol!

choco
SA, 4032 posts
18 Nov 2018 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

No the're not

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
18 Nov 2018 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

NotWal said..

forceten said..

NotWal said..

Was ..a adapter to use a RDM mast, on a SDM extension. Had a collar with inner diameter to match the RDMs, a pyramid cone ,that went inside the collar,and then was supported by the pin through the holes in the extension.
About the same as it was on the market the first RDM extension , that I remember, by Windsurf HAWAII, came out, which had different sized sleeves to make elevated adjustments. Both were crap.

I have one of those plastic cone things that sits on the through pin and I wouldn't call it either "ineffective" or "crap", just a little inconvenient as I said earlier.
The OP asked if a rdm extension was necessary and it isn't. He can safely get an RDM and not have to buy an extension.

Orange Whip
QLD, 1044 posts
18 Nov 2018 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..

forceten said..

NotWal said..

forceten said..

NotWal said..

I have one of those plastic cone things that sits on the through pin and I wouldn't call it either "ineffective" or "crap", just a little inconvenient as I said earlier.
The OP asked if a rdm extension was necessary and it isn't. He can safely get an RDM and not have to buy an extension.

I assumed that I would have to buy an RDM extension if I went to an RDM mast, I wasn't aware there was an adaptor available.

FormulaNova
WA, 14671 posts
18 Nov 2018 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

These are the type of adaptor discussed. I have one, but have never used it as my SDM extensions don't use pins so it won't work.

www.surfsailaustralia.com.au/product/chinook-skinny-adaptor-kit#surf-sail-clothing-hardware

boardsurfr
WA, 2321 posts
18 Nov 2018 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..

seanhogan said..

No the're not

Yes they are

The North Gold RDM was slightly heavier than the SDM:

The RDM mast that is perhaps most responsible for the "unbreakable" myth is the Ezzy Hookipa, which is noticeably heavier than the North SDM:

The Platinum Aero Mast has reduced resin content, which makes it both lighter and more breakable. It's was the only North mast that did not get the 2-year warranty because of that. It's also one of the most expensive masts out there.

Bottom line is that a typical 400 cm RDM will be more durable, but a tad heavier, than a comparable SDM mast. But for a 400 cm mast, you probably won't notice the weight difference. Easy of rigging and handling when you grab the mast will make a bigger difference.

forceten
1312 posts
19 Nov 2018 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..

forceten said..

NotWal said..

forceten said..

NotWal said..

I didn't think you could even purchase one now. You need the SDM with holes / pins .I reckon your definition of crap and inconvenient differ from mine. Unsure that the RDM inside the SDM is without fault. I reckon I could ask David Ezzy.

forceten
1312 posts
19 Nov 2018 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Boardsurfr: your charts support our posts that RDM are not necessarily lighter than SDMs.
some of your observations are apples to oranges, comparing masts from the same company would be better.
The Ezzy Original RDM , is heavy, it has thick walls, Ezzy makes only RDMS, new less volume , more economic one availabe now, yes same bend curve as the Hookipia , something like 65 vs 91% carbon.

looking at Chinook100% versions
SDM 430 = 1.65kg
RDM 430= 1.70kg
difference of .05
convert to pounds = .11 or 1.76 ounces

i still think that 490 or larger, cry for a SDM.

forceten
1312 posts
19 Nov 2018 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..
I've been impressed lately with the difference a 100% late model mast makes to the performance of my bigger sails so am planning to upgrade my 400 to 100%. I've never used an RDM, is the performance, longevity or otherwise worth the extra expense of having to get an RDM extension as well?

Reread the OP with question and intent. 400 masts don't fit my larger/ bigger sails , my 400 fits my 5.6
Is it worth the extra expense of an RDM extension ?yes. Hell yes.

is it worth the money to purchase a SDM to RDM adapter kit, not my money.

forceten
1312 posts
19 Nov 2018 1:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..
Boardsurfr: your charts support our posts that RDM are not necessarily lighter than SDMs.
some of your observations are apples to oranges, comparing masts from the same company would be better.
The Ezzy Original RDM , is heavy, it has thick walls, Ezzy makes only RDMS, the new less volume version , more economic one availabe now, yes same bend curve as the Hookipia , something like 65 vs 91% carbon.

looking at Chinook100% versions
SDM 430 = 1.65kg
RDM 430= 1.70kg
difference of .05
convert to pounds = .11 or 1.76 ounces

i still think that 490 or larger, cry for a SDM.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
19 Nov 2018 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..

seanhogan said..

No the're not

missing something there.....

Tardy
5013 posts
19 Nov 2018 5:36AM
Thumbs Up

YES.orange whip, buy a RDM extension ,going RDM will be the best thing you will ever do .
so much easier to slide up the luff pocket ,you know how you have to thread the sail all the way down the mast on some sails ,creasing the mono film ,and lighter feel and easier to crank it down when sailing over powered .

go for it .

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"RDM advantages over SDM for a 400" started by Orange Whip