Forums > Windsurfing General

Tabou Rocket 115L fin

Created by Tasdoc > 9 months ago, 27 Mar 2018
Tasdoc
VIC, 84 posts
27 Mar 2018 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
Just after some advice. The stock fin on my 115L Tabou Rocket got crushed last weekend. Now I am looking for a replacement, but not sure whether I should get something better, or just the same 38cm stock fin? Should I get a different size? I have two no-cam freeride Sailworks sails 5.5 and 6.5, I sail mostly in Elwood, which means choppy waters, 14knots+ conditions. My weight is 75 kilos, if it matters

I was generally happy with the stock fin, except quite a bit of spinouts when going upwind. I suspect due to a poor technique as I am still getting used to the smaller board.
Thanks

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
27 Mar 2018 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

IMHO 38 is too big for those size sails.
I use a 30 for sails around 6m
If the stock fin was pre preg, maybe look at a stiffer fin.
G10 or Carbon

KJ
VIC, 156 posts
27 Mar 2018 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 115 rocket as well. Great board, tried many fins. My fav's are a vector volt 38cm and choco sprit 38cm. The sprit has slight better bottom end and is slightly more forgiving when the wind is on the light side and you are on and of the plan a little. I really like the Volt, fast fin and great control, my go to fin unless the wind is a little marginal. I'm 89kg and mainly use the 38 with a 7.0 and 6.2. A 38 will be a bit big for a 5.5

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
27 Mar 2018 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

For those sized sails, try looking at a maui fin co. Liquid pro 36, brilliant fin that suits the rocket

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
27 Mar 2018 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hi I've had multiple rockets and currently have 2015- 105 & 2016- 125.

Id suggest the JP weed fins work really well with the rockets and aren't super expensive. For your 6.5 sail a 36 jp weed fin would be my choice and for a 5.5 a 31 works well when I'm on a 5.5.

i have a new set of vectors as well and they tend to be a bit soft and require a different stance on the board plus obviously they generate a whole lot more lift - the JPs are so much more user friendly

Key with rockets is mast foot position ie not to far forward (can send you a picture if interested) footstraps out and back.

Rgds Adam

NCUSAGUY
65 posts
27 Mar 2018 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

For those of you that have the 115 or 125 Rocket, what is the sweet spot for sail size? I have an old iSonic 111 where my 7.5 race sail works best. 8.4 and 6.6 work fine too, but I want to replace the board with something that has the same sail range. I weigh 77 kg or 170 lbs. The iSonic is a fast but bumpy ride at speed and I want something a little more comfortable.

I have a tabou 96L 3S and love it.

BSN101
WA, 2283 posts
28 Mar 2018 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Tribal fins. They have a guide to compare fin size to board and sail size. Might help decide size. And they are great fins too

Mastbender
1972 posts
28 Mar 2018 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

If the base of the fin is still in good shape, the body of the fin is repairable, not that difficult, if not broken off, as opposed to a rock crush, those are easy.

Swindy
WA, 454 posts
28 Mar 2018 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adam555 said..
Hi I've had multiple rockets and currently have 2015- 105 & 2016- 125.

Id suggest the JP weed fins work really well with the rockets and aren't super expensive. For your 6.5 sail a 36 jp weed fin would be my choice and for a 5.5 a 31 works well when I'm on a 5.5.

i have a new set of vectors as well and they tend to be a bit soft and require a different stance on the board plus obviously they generate a whole lot more lift - the JPs are so much more user friendly

Key with rockets is mast foot position ie not to far forward (can send you a picture if interested) footstraps out and back.

Rgds Adam

Avoid weed fins unless you need them. They are a necessary evil when sailing in WA and other spots around the world. Tribal and Vector mentioned are both great brands. Get a 30 & 35 and if you get a 7.5 sail in the future get a 40. As you improve you will probably want a smaller board and will be able to use the 30 in it.

KJ
VIC, 156 posts
28 Mar 2018 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NCUSAGUY said..
For those of you that have the 115 or 125 Rocket, what is the sweet spot for sail size? I have an old iSonic 111 where my 7.5 race sail works best. 8.4 and 6.6 work fine too, but I want to replace the board with something that has the same sail range. I weigh 77 kg or 170 lbs. The iSonic is a fast but bumpy ride at speed and I want something a little more comfortable.

I have a tabou 96L 3S and love it.

I find my optimal sail size on my 115L is a 7.0

Tasdoc
VIC, 84 posts
28 Mar 2018 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..
If the base of the fin is still in good shape, the body of the fin is repairable, not that difficult, if not broken off, as opposed to a rock crush, those are easy.

I only have the base with the top 5-10cm left, the rest is gone. I guess, it's not repairable

Tardy
4994 posts
28 Mar 2018 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

THATS what happened to my original 38 ' fin on my 115 ,sailing over powered ..I brought a second hand fanatic fin ,FREERIDE .works a treat ..has the similar shape ,also use a JP pointer ..glass fin ...

Tasdoc
VIC, 84 posts
28 Mar 2018 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting. I didn't know that you can break your fin just because of sailing overpowered, without hitting anything

Harrow
NSW, 4521 posts
28 Mar 2018 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

The Tabou stock fin is rather ordinary, breaking it was lucky, now you can try something better. I use Select Superfoils on my Rocket, very happy with them.

Mastbender
1972 posts
29 Mar 2018 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tasdoc said..

Mastbender said..

I only have the base with the top 5-10cm left, the rest is gone. I guess, it's not repairable

Yep, that's not "crushed", that's decapitated.

Tardy
4994 posts
29 Mar 2018 3:43AM
Thumbs Up

Yep,lucky I had nice friends that sailed in ,grabbed a fin and a screw driver ...for me ,as swimming in 25 knots dragging a board and sail 2 Km...would not have been fun luckily I was on a lagoon and could drag it up on the other side .
pretty sure these are made in a mould ,not very strong ..as tested.The JP is a very strong fin .maui fins also a good option .both glass fins .select fins ,delta,happy shopping .

Barkss
NSW, 1 posts
29 Mar 2018 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Seeing remnants of a snapped fin is disconcerting for sure. Good insurance to windsurf with friends. Particularly when self rescue is not doable.
As mentioned above. Go for a couple of G10 constructed fins including the issued size 38 and a smaller 36 to match your body weight.
While thinking of safety - get the universal joint replaced if a couple of years old as they can suddenly let go and ruin a fun day.

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
29 Mar 2018 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

I've had 3 of my stock Tabou rocket fins eventually fail under normal sailing. That's 3 outta 4. So be aware if going a bit off shore. I don't mind them when they're in one piece, they've been well matched to suit the rockets. So I've given them a fair bit of use, it's fatigue.

Tardy
4994 posts
29 Mar 2018 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 105 ,115,&125 rockets this is the fins I use ,the fanatic replaced the broken 38 'it's a beauty .i do like the shape and performance of the original fin ,but I don't take them in the ocean after that breakage ...they are very light .
the JP is a real pointer ,shoots you up wind real quick .it can rail my 125 up .so more suited to flatter waters .but wow what a fin.
as you can see they are FREERIDE fins ,but well suited to the rocket ...
check surf& sail WA .they have some nice fins on offer ,

sprocket
NSW, 18 posts
29 Mar 2018 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

I bought my first aftermarket fin only quite recently. I went 2cm shorter than stock fin on my Rocket 105 and within a month had to replace my remaining fins on my other boards- the difference was that noticeable. The gain in power and control was really significant and allowed me to downsize and as for spin out- they are now rare occurrences. So worth the expense. Rocket 105, Severne NCX 6.5, 68kg, Tribal Powermax 32cm. Makes the hair on th eback of neck stand on end just typing it!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Tabou Rocket 115L fin" started by Tasdoc