Forums > Windsurfing General

Toyota Cup 2015

Created by shinobi > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2015
shinobi
151 posts
8 Jan 2015 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

from Saturday the annual Toyota Cup will be taking place on the Island of Okinawa.

The forecast looks like we'll have some great racing there.
www.windguru.cz/416216

You can also follow the event on the livestream as the time difference is that bad.
www.ustream.tv/channel/%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%B3-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%9E%E3%83%81%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E5%85%A8%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A9%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0

We'll be racing from 13:00 on Saturday, so if you have no wind just take a look and enjoy some slalom sailing.

~Shinobi

shinobi
151 posts
9 Jan 2015 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Today the preparation went well, new sail numbers, Toyota stickers and new harness lines.
Off topic: the neilpryde harness lines are the best I've been seeing since a long time. I was used to use Maghreb (local japanese brand) or gaastra adjustables, no one comes even close... The first time since years to spend money on pryde but the lines are worth it. Thought through and high quality just bit on the expensive side.
The biggest surprise for me was to run into Andrea Cuchi, the owner of Point7.
He should be able to put tremendous pressure on our local champs.

The forecast for tomorrow should have some lighter winds in the morning and in the afternoon it should become stronger.
Take a look tomorrow!

[

shinobi
151 posts
11 Jan 2015 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Day 1
Registration started in the morning and the first race was scheduled for 1pm.
Got up quite late, had a great breakfast at the resorts restaurant and went to the beach around 10:30.
The wind was a bit patchy but with good strength, took the 7,8 R6 with the iSonic 107 and 38cm SR7 for a spin. 67km/h on the dial, this place is fast. Or is it the new R6? No idea but I simply improved my top speed with this size of gear by 5km/h
The first race of the day however didn't went that good. The dropped a lot until 1pm and I went for the 9,5 plus iSonic 130.
At the start line the wind was stronger as expected and even Amdrea seemed to be powered up on his 9,7.
Being in the same with him, didn't actually help to progress to the next round... His speed was not that different to the other Pros but in the jibe he was simply in another league.
The first round eventually got completed but the dropping wind and low tide marked the end of day 1.
Here is the video of the day.

The forecast for today shows stronger wind and the race will start from 10AM.
Take a look at the live stream!
~Shinobi

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
11 Jan 2015 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shinobi said..
Today the preparation went well, new sail numbers, Toyota stickers and new harness lines.
Off topic: the neilpryde harness lines are the best I've been seeing since a long time. I was used to use Maghreb (local japanese brand) or gaastra adjustables, no one comes even close... The first time since years to spend money on pryde but the lines are worth it. Thought through and high quality just bit on the expensive side.
The biggest surprise for me was to run into Andrea Cuchi, the owner of Point7.
He should be able to put tremendous pressure on our local champs.

The forecast for tomorrow should have some lighter winds in the morning and in the afternoon it should become stronger.
Take a look tomorrow!

[imago

goodluck looks like fun times!!

how many days of racing ? Is there any week long events over there for slalom?

jn1
2454 posts
11 Jan 2015 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shinobi said..
Day 1

Awesome . Looks an extremely well run event. It doesn't look that cold either (being your mid-winter now).

shinobi
151 posts
12 Jan 2015 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

It is a 2,5 day event, we don't have a whole week event because of the quite limited holidays over here. Most of the pros actually do work and I have only 12 Off per year, a one week competition would be impossible.
Some of the comps are hold on long weekend with 3 days for the pros and 2 for the open class which gives all enough chances to race a bit.

shinobi
151 posts
12 Jan 2015 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

The event is really well done, the organizers know their job and Toyota support allows to run the event at a great place.
The temperatures are around 20 degree Celsius and the water is not so much colder, at my home spot we are lucky if it gets 10 air temp but the water is some where close 5 degree Celsius.

shinobi
151 posts
12 Jan 2015 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Day two is over and saw some racing not with the expected winds but still not too bad.
In the morning the semi finals of race one where held with Andrea missing to advance due to his outhaul line knot opening up on the second reach. The final was dominated in usual manner by the local hero Norio Asano.
Race two was started afterwards and I wnet for the R6 8,6, which I shouldn't have done. The wind was lighter than when I tested the sail in the morning and to complete the mess the download line snapped at the 3rd jibe... Being at a 6th position wouldn't allow me to progress to the semis anyways but such a stupid thins is just annoying.
==> races are lost on the beach and won on the water
Andrea made it to final but wasn't planing most of it with his 8,7, too small.
Finally two races in the open class where held and the dropping tide forces us to stop racing and me to repair my fin tip..
The day was completed by the event party with great food, movies and a lottery.
Today the first race will start at 8 AM, after the party?!? The forecast looks good and hopefully I can enjoy the 7,8 a bit.
Don't forget to look at the livestream while you're working!
~Shinobi

shinobi
151 posts
12 Jan 2015 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

shinobi
151 posts
12 Jan 2015 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Some pics of the New Toyota goods

shinobi
151 posts
12 Jan 2015 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the Video of day2

Todays Racing was intend again but later more.
~Shinobi

shinobi
151 posts
13 Jan 2015 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Day 3
The wind turned on but again not to the predicted level...
A total of two men pro races, one men open race, a women open and a couple of ladies pro races where completed today.
My first race of the day(race no 3) saw me failing to advance to the semis due a bad start and a wind hole just before the third mark. The final of race 3 was a close call between Andrea and the local hero Norio Asano who had to settle for the second place.
The final race was blessed with stronger winds and I finally felt powered up with my 9,6, while many local pros where on their 7,8. Timing the start right I was in the thirst position until one guy decided to crash into me at the third jibe mark. WTF!?! To make it worse, he was forth in a qualifying position and is a starboard/Severne rider as well. Luckily I've just learned before that heat that the PWA rules don't apply and I filed a protest directly at the finish mark. Being a sportsmen after all, Komura was honest and I'm in the first semi final!
Know being in the semi final, I had nothing to lose and being still well powered I went for an aggressive start and arrived in second position at the second mark. "Don't drop the sail" was the only thing left in my mind... Th nine went well but in the next reach I had to led two guys pass me, both on their 7,8's. Am I doing something? Well, not every time because I kept the fourth place and made it to my first ever final. Now being even more happy ??
The final saw dropping winds and me setting for the eights place while Andrea and Norio once had once more a tight finish with Andrea just pushing the board nose ahead of Norio.

Here the movie from the last day.

Now being at the airport to go back to cold and grey kobe. Can't wait to get my slalom gear back which is now stuck in the container for a month while being shipped back to main island.
Once some more pics or reports are finished, I'll post the same here.
~Shinobi

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Toyota Cup 2015" started by shinobi