Forums > Windsurfing General

US-1111

Created by cammd > 9 months ago, 19 Mar 2019
cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
19 Mar 2019 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Found this in the sheds at the club, don't know how it came to be there but guess it used to belong the man himself. Might be able to salvage it if anyone wants it

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
19 Mar 2019 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Sure I will have it..please send it to me...

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
19 Mar 2019 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
Sure I will have it..please send it to me...

sorry Richard I got a phone call as soon as I posted the pic, its been claimed already

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
19 Mar 2019 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Nice find and well done to whoever got this historical item.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
19 Mar 2019 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

I think you should auction it off here for charity
People will climb over each other to get that

Sparky
WA, 1121 posts
19 Mar 2019 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ and the money sent to eggboy?

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
19 Mar 2019 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Oh Wow!!! That's Gold!!!!! I agree with Mark.

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
19 Mar 2019 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Plus 1 for what Mark said. How about sending the proceeds to Neil in WA after his horror accident??

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
19 Mar 2019 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Very shocked to here about another accident on the river. Best wishes to Neil and Pete for there recoveries.

So we have found out how the sail came to be in amongst all the old donated gear at RQ that was getting cleaned out. It belongs to one of the members wives and is going back to its rightful owner.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
19 Mar 2019 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Well it is pink......

Chris 249
NSW, 3333 posts
19 Mar 2019 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

I have one of Robby's old race boards. It would have looked great with thAt. I had one of Pete cabrinhas custom race sails for it but someone chucked it. It had about six cams. An awesome sail but he glue in those old Mylar sails normally failed long ago

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
19 Mar 2019 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..
I have one of Robby's old race boards. It would have looked great with thAt. I had one of Pete cabrinhas custom race sails for it but someone chucked it. It had about six cams. An awesome sail but he glue in those old Mylar sails normally failed long ago

Chris is that the Pan Am proto or the Equipe proto?

AUS1111
WA, 3619 posts
19 Mar 2019 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

It's actually mine...just that the A has fallen off...

AUS4
NSW, 1254 posts
21 Mar 2019 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Heres a pic of mine, Bruce Wylie and Phil McGain's sails approx 1984. Same year as Robby's. Our sails came out of the Gaastra Custom Loft. We had our own custom colours back then.

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
21 Mar 2019 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Great Pics!

Dezza
NSW, 925 posts
21 Mar 2019 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

look at the mistral trackie dacks

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
21 Mar 2019 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..
Heres a pic of mine, Bruce Wylie and Phil McGain's sails approx 1984. Same year as Robby's. Our sails came out of the Gaastra Custom Loft. We had our own custom colours back then.

Hmmm. Looks like Point Ormond. Am I right?

AUS4
NSW, 1254 posts
21 Mar 2019 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Elwood

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
21 Mar 2019 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

That looks like Ronny Reagan Ricardo??
I remember Bruces sails were green & blue. Great pics.

AUS4
NSW, 1254 posts
21 Mar 2019 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka43 said..

Yes, Chris Lawrence, Bruce and Ronald.
Phil Orange and Green BIC/Gaastra. Bruce Blue and Green Mistral/Gaastra. Rick Yellow, Blue and Pink Mistral/Gaastra.

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
21 Mar 2019 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

ka43 said..

Phil Orange and Green BIC/Gaastra. Bruce Blue and Green Mistral/Gaastra. Rick Yellow, Blue and Pink Mistral/Gaastra.

I think it looks more like 1986 or 87 than 84. I say that because of the presence of the Mistral Equipe in the photos and the Bic Gaastra sponsorship for Phil McGain. Is that correct ?

AUS4
NSW, 1254 posts
21 Mar 2019 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

AUS4
NSW, 1254 posts
21 Mar 2019 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

AUS4 said..

ka43 said..

I think it looks more like 1986 or 87 than 84. I say that because of the presence of the Mistral Equipe in the photos and the Bic Gaastra sponsorship for Phil McGain. Is that correct ?

803 posts
21 Mar 2019 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Aluminium masts for race sails - wow! That's something you can't buy since late 80's. Then carbon race masts were fragile - don't drop them and watch the shore break.
And no 2 piece masts then, airport was fun carrying those out in your mast bag

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
21 Mar 2019 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

Cool who has the Bombora flag today ?

Interesting that Bruce Wylie was sponsored by all of what appears to be Mistral, Gaastra and Bombora.

AUS4
NSW, 1254 posts
21 Mar 2019 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

AUS4 said..

Cool who has the Bombora flag today ?

Interesting that Bruce Wylie was sponsored by all of what appears to be Mistral, Gaastra and Bombora.

I have the Gaastra Flag and I think Greg Butchart has the Bombora flag.
Bruce was sponsored by Mistral/Gaastra overseas and Bombora/Gaastra when in Australia for a while, then just Mistral/Gaastra.

Chris249
357 posts
22 Mar 2019 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

Chris 249 said..

The original pre-concave Pan Am protos. I'm still not quite sure whether it was the one he used in the Pan Am and World Cup or one of the others that Rick Naish shaped with Harold, and Robby raced. I'm going to send some pics through one day and see if I can track it down.

Oddly enough, in our little inland sailing club near Armidale we have two Naish/Mistral customs (the Pan Am and a slightly earlier squaretail I have), one of Lars' Lechners (although I'm not sure if it was the one he won bronze on), a silver medal winning IMCO, and a silver medallist sailor. Oh, and the current world A Class C foiler champ and an America's Cup team full foiling A Class cat. It's weird when you get in from training and see cows have got into the boat park and are about to walk over a carbon foiling catamaran!

Chris249
357 posts
22 Mar 2019 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

AUS4 said..

ka43 said..

Well spotted!

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
22 Mar 2019 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris249 said..

RichardG said..

Chris 249 said..

The original pre-concave Pan Am protos. I'm still not quite sure whether it was the one he used in the Pan Am and World Cup or one of the others that Rick Naish shaped with Harold, and Robby raced. I'm going to send some pics through one day and see if I can track it down.

Oddly enough, in our little inland sailing club near Armidale we have two Naish/Mistral customs (the Pan Am and a slightly earlier squaretail I have), one of Lars' Lechners (although I'm not sure if it was the one he won bronze on), a silver medal winning IMCO, and a silver medallist sailor. Oh, and the current world A Class C foiler champ and an America's Cup team full foiling A Class cat. It's weird when you get in from training and see cows have got into the boat park and are about to walk over a carbon foiling catamaran!

The Pan Am proto in the first two shots below circa 1982-83..Robby flying on the fin...

Not this one below- from 1984-5 which is the first Harold Iggy/ Rick Naish Mistral Equipe LCS/XR proto later sold by Mistral in 1986-1988 ?

Freesail article below showing Pan Am released in Australia May-June issue of Freesail in 1983

Equipe after 88 was then replaced by the Harold Iggy/ Nevin Sayre designed, Mistral Equipe 1989 which became the Mistral One Design.
The reference to Rick Naish below is incorrect. Article board test, Freesail 1989.
My Mistral One Design 1993 model pictured in 2018 at MBSC, WA. Mistral should release a new Mistral Equipe IV LT.

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
23 Mar 2019 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

the sail (US-1111) came with an equipe purchased years ago from Goodtime in Brisbane, this particular equipe looks the same as the one in the magazine article above, it has a carbon centreboard it feels quite a bit lighter than my 1990 MOD. I wonder if it has any history with Mr Naish

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
23 Mar 2019 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Mistral should release a new Mistral Equipe IV LT.

I agree, I sent a photo of my daughter sailing her 1990 MOD at this years Raceboard Nationals to the Mistral FB page, the board is 10 years older than her, I asked them to a make a raceboard again for the new generation but got not no reply not that I expected thme to just make a board at my request but not even a comment about kids connecting with and racing boards older then them. Maybe they didn't like the Techno sail she was using with the Board

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"US-1111" started by cammd