Forums > Windsurfing General

What will it take to get windsurfing on fire again

Created by TASSIEROCKS > 9 months ago, 13 Mar 2014
Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
24 Mar 2014 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

In relation to the top end of windsurfing, back in the 80s, surf slalom racing was quite a popular spectator sport and worked well on TV. Pro events had wave sailing and slalom racing taking place off the same beach. Today it doesn't seem to happen. I think slalom racing taking place in a surf break would be pretty spectacular and something a non windsurfer can understand and relate to.

Even today seeing the footage of the PBA event at Brighton in the mid 90s when they had huge surf is very exciting.

McSmurfin
85 posts
24 Mar 2014 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mobydisc said..

Even today seeing the footage of the PBA event at Brighton in the mid 90s when they had huge surf is very exciting.

I was at that event as a grom redbulled up to the eyeballs from the freebie booths - was sooo great watching the top guys getting smashed in the pebbles

terminal
1421 posts
24 Mar 2014 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McSmurfin said..

The mass media image of windsurfing is pretty dire. Part of the problem is a lot of the stuff we see is targeted at windsurfers rather than getting out and showing the general public all the awesome stuff that's happening at the top level these days. Look at snowboarding, fmx, skateboarding - they sell the crazy 'extreme' image very well to everyone despite the fact that no mere mortal could vaguely be capable of attempting what they do and people buy into the image. Ask someone about those sports and people have an idea of what they are doing; what image does windsurfing have outside of your circle of windsurf mates?
The pro windsurfing bodies seriously need to shift things up and get some kickass media out to the world outside of the windsurf websites/mags etc. Getting quality events at real wave spots and proper live feeds with replays/heats on demand replays like the ASP is really missing too. Why isn't this happening? If they can't do it for money reasons then why aren't they getting the big brands on board? If there was more media appeal then more high profile (non windsurf) sponsors could become interested and keep growing from there...or we just keep it quiet and save it for ourselves ;)

Windsurfers are very laid back. If you listen to Koster or Kauli, its like they were just doing normal stuff. There is no attempt whatsoever to big it up. To me that is one of the cool things about windsurfing - it doesn't have the hard sell.

Here is Kauli talking about getting wiped out at Jaws and taking 3 huge waves on the head, swimming to shore, finding his board and climbing the cliff. Then he gets a lift and gets another sail and sails back to Jaws and rides more huge waves with no rescue around, then sails 5 miles to Hookipa to find a safe place to land.

The Defi Wind is a better promo because it is easy to comprehend and it includes everyday windsurfers having fun. This is the sort of video that sells windsurfing.

MvB
VIC, 25 posts
24 Mar 2014 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mobydisc said..

The biggest potential for new windsurfers in Australia are the former windsurfers who gave it up in the eighties, nineties or naughties for whatever reason they did. Most of them know how to windsurf and most would be pleasantly surprised to find out how nice it is to consistently plane on modern equipment.

Other than that, to get new people to try it out, that is pretty hard. There are lots of different activities out there and most people nowdays seem to enjoy sticking stuff up on Facebook and getting liked. If people post their windsurfing stuff on Facebook then that would be positive encouragement. However if a New Idea celebrity type who said they lost 20 kgs and met the man/woman of their dreams through windsurfing, then we might get a few new faces into the sport.

I disagree with those who say the big fat learner boards make windsurfing less appealing. Anything that makes the first hours of windsurfing as fun as it can be is a good thing. Its fun sailing along. Its not fun falling off all the time, grazing your shins against a non slip finished deck and getting frustrated.

Hey moby,

I fully agree, originally I windsurfed back in the 80, 90s back in Holland. I picked it up a few years ago and still on the learning curve but loving it. Many guys ( seems to mainly guys unfortunately) I mention to I windsurf say, yeah I used to do that 20 years ago. This is the group we need to get involved and relight their passion. I often say to this group that the same revolution that has happened in skiing has happened in windsurfing. Boards are now short and fat, given you much more control and stability and quick access to planing. All in all you can be windsurfing in no time.

Besides cost, I think time and unpredictability is also a problem. However many people get away om the family for a round of golf, so this should be possible. But unlike golf where you can coordinate with your spouse in advance, windsuRfing is much less predictable. (Plus don't you hate when you go out and there is no wind, you come back home slightly frustrated, but in the mind of the family you have had you go at windsurfing for that weekend)

Now I think the other challenge we have is suitable locations. And in particular for beginners. I think in Perth you might have the river, here in melbourne we have the bay. The bay is great if you are an experienced surfer, but if you are learning or intermediate, a 15+ knot seabreeeze plus some "lovely" chop is quite a challenge. This perceived difficult environment doesn't give confidence to a newbie to go outthere. It can be quite frightening for them with all the waves and the big sail. SUPping probably gives them the feeling of more control.

Does anyone have any suggestion for great beginner/ intermediate windsurf spots 20 -40 km from melbourne CBd? Inverloch and point Henry are great but quite a drive for a 2 hour session from where I live.

Oh yah, if you see a newbie, go and say g 'day. We are a rare species, so we need to look after each other.

Homestraight
QLD, 39 posts
25 Mar 2014 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I'm a newbie having started January this year. I'm in the harness planing etc on large but skinny boards (mistral competition). I'm looking at buying my 2nd hand kit and it is pricey but still cheaper than MTB and road cycling, golf where you don't pay green fees to luff it up. Windsurfing is easier than golf that's for real. One issue that needs to be addressed is compatabilty of the kit particularly sails and masts. The seabreeze table helps, but really for the average punter they want to have a good time with minimum fuss. The manufacturers need to work together to make the sport more appealing and accessible but still cater to the gear fanatics at the higher end. The sport definitely has an image problem. Some big regattas, such as sailing between certain islands as a life time achievement may evoke some passion which seems to be lacking. Flat water blasting is great for thrills but I think windsurfing as a mode to explore or travel is likely to have a greater sense of achievement for new starters. Kiting and sup are very different in my opinion... I have no interest in either.

TGale
TAS, 301 posts
27 Mar 2014 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

I never see any kids out windsurfing where I am. I think some kids would really like it if there were regular weekly training sessions for them to join in going all summer, as traditional yacht clubs do for kids. i.e. you turn up at 10am every Saturday for a 2-hour session. Doesn't matter if there is not much wind. Just need a suitable location, rescue craft, investment in some suitable gear and parents and organisers prepared to commit the time for the kids. And probably need windsurfing club membership (for insurance). Thinking mainly of windsurfers who have kids. The social side of windsurfing seems to be dominated by adult males - for kids (and women) there is a lot missing and the regular training session environment with similar others can provide something for them which is missing now.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
28 Mar 2014 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

the AWA voted for formula windsurf to be a Olympic sport ,

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
28 Mar 2014 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MvB said..
Does anyone have any suggestion for great beginner/ intermediate windsurf spots 20 -40 km from melbourne CBd? Inverloch and point Henry are great but quite a drive for a 2 hour session from where I live.

Rye is probably the best flat water spot in Melbourne for learners.
Bit of a drive from the CBD but not that bad & a nice spot for the family to spend the day as well.

Not the back beach

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
28 Mar 2014 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TGale said..

I never see any kids out windsurfing where I am. I think some kids would really like it if there were regular weekly training sessions for them to join in going all summer, as traditional yacht clubs do for kids. i.e. you turn up at 10am every Saturday for a 2-hour session. Doesn't matter if there is not much wind. Just need a suitable location, rescue craft, investment in some suitable gear and parents and organisers prepared to commit the time for the kids. And probably need windsurfing club membership (for insurance). Thinking mainly of windsurfers who have kids. The social side of windsurfing seems to be dominated by adult males - for kids (and women) there is a lot missing and the regular training session environment with similar others can provide something for them which is missing now.

I agree - This would be a good way to get kids involved in the sport - My 15 year old son is getting into it

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
31 Mar 2014 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Found this photo in the achieves 2011 / 12??............Just a few punters out .......at a Geraldton local 4x4 spot
The passion and fire was in the belly of a few this day To Crowded Reminded me of an east coast surf break

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
1 Apr 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

Found this photo in the achieves 2011 / 12??............Just a few punters out .......at a Geraldton local 4x4 spot
The passion and fire was in the belly of a few this day To Crowded Reminded me of an east coast surf break

Wow plenty there! Funny I was talking to some guys who had just sailed their yacht over from Geraldton. I said you get good wind over there!. They said yep head winds all the time not many anchorages etc which is why they have come over to the East coast.. ..Good for windsurfing though!

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
1 Apr 2014 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

Forum Competition:

Spot the lone bagger. ^^^

lol.

NR
WA, 516 posts
1 Apr 2014 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McSmurfin said..

Mobydisc said..

I was at that event as a grom redbulled up to the eyeballs from the freebie booths - was sooo great watching the top guys getting smashed in the pebbles

Funny me to. I had never had heard of redbull until that time.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
1 Apr 2014 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

This is what happens when someone forgets to lock the front gate at the old age home. What a terrifying image.
I hope they rounded them all up in time for their 3pm afternoon tea and nap time.

Gos
WA, 50 posts
1 Apr 2014 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MvB said..

Oh yah, if you see a newbie, go and say g 'day. We are a rare species, so we need to look after each other.

Totally agree - i try to introduce myself to other learners when i'm down at the water. I do find it interesting that windsurfing attracts some of the most helpful and well mannered people i have ever met... but I also find... they are mostly introverted (like me) and so that first introduction to a stranger is a bit clunky and weird. I hope that if i keep going i will start to run into them 2, 3, 4, 5 times.

Quick question... what do you call a group of windsurfers?
Barracudas = Battery
Crows = Murder
Lizards = Lounge
Pelicans = Pod
etc etc
Windsurfers = ??

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
1 Apr 2014 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gos said..

MvB said..

Totally agree - i try to introduce myself to other learners when i'm down at the water. I do find it interesting that windsurfing attracts some of the most helpful and well mannered people i have ever met... but I also find... they are mostly introverted (like me) and so that first introduction to a stranger is a bit clunky and weird. I hope that if i keep going i will start to run into them 2, 3, 4, 5 times.

Quick question... what do you call a group of windsurfers?
Barracudas = Battery
Crows = Murder
Lizards = Lounge
Pelicans = Pod
etc etc
Windsurfers = ??

Windsurfers= friggen awesome!

I wanna use that in a sentence..."Look Dad, there's a friggen awesome of windsurfers!" It doesn't make any grammatical sense at all but it sounds so cool

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
1 Apr 2014 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Old as ............you want be
Fired up as .................you need to be
In control as ..........................you got to be

Couple of happy snaps
Jumper .............Jagger Stone

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"What will it take to get windsurfing on fire again" started by TASSIEROCKS