Created by Sputnik11 > 9 months ago, 21 Sep 2015
Chris 249
NSW, 3331 posts
8 Oct 2015 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
swoosh said..

Chris 249 said..

Bit confused about your response here, I basically completely agree with you on all points. Just pointing out the reasons that for the average punter, windsurfing isn't "THE Sport".

I sailed dinghy's as a kid, and actually wish I had stuck to it. My comment about lasers being boring was exactly to point out what you are saying in that it doesn't have to be high performance to have a good following and be a heap of fun. And the best thing about laser formula is the equipment has stayed the same, it's all about sailers, and any idiot can basically jump in and make it around a course. In my opinion windsurfing needs a similar format one design class. The gear needs to be cheap enough <$2000 so that any half interested windsurfer would go say sure why not I'll grab a kit. I agree with what someone else mentioned earlier in that longboards are the go, but not $3000+ boards. We need Roto-Molded polyethylene longboards, with fibreglass masts and dacron sails, can bash around the marks with your mates and not worry about a few bumps. Go back to the roots of the sport, with equipment that people of any skill level can sail, and durable and cheap enough you don't mind people of any skill level borrowing your kit.

Yeah sure the one design class has existed a few times already in windsurfing, but at least with RS:X it just seems too complicated and expensive.

As for slalom/formula, as a racing class they seem a little bit doomed, bit too condition dependant, and it's a never ending high-tech arms race driven by the manufacturers with a +$10k/season buy in cost. For the same price you can buy a laser which boasts a bigger more competitive field, and your gear doesn't go out of date every season. The GPS racing thing was probably the best thing that has happened to slalom style gear.

The current state of the longboard racing side of things just seems confusing to me. e.g. upcoming raceboard titles, there is 3 different classes and a myriad of different boards. A new setup from what I understand probably north of >$6k, and there are 3 different classes, in a sport where the typical field across all classes might be <10 sailers. Sure I could pick up a old second hand one design something, but seems pointless to race something out of date in a hodgepodge field of competitors that I could probably count in one hand.

da vecta said..
RETRO BOARD: Competitor entering with a board manufactured 1995 or earlier;
HYBRID CLASS ONE: Allows boards up to 3m in length with a maximum sail size of 7.8m. (Includes: Techno 293, RSOne, RSX, Phantom 295)
HYBRID CLASS TWO: Allows boards over 3m in length with a maximum sail size of 7.8m. (Includes: Phantom 320, Kona One, WOD) Both Hyrid Classes will have a shorter course.

That's just the opinion of a recreational windsurfer, who loves windsurfing, but honestly, it was a big commitment to learn. And as much as I'd like to start racing, and I think a good racing community would really help build the sport, none of the options really look attractive.

p.s. the guys who are trying to grow the sport from the ground, at least here in QLD, are doing a fantastic job. I just talked a few friends into it and took my misses down to the learn to windsurf thing the guys at RQYS are doing, and it's the best thing that's happening in the sport in my opinion. But for me it also highlights the problem, in that the learners are on these big plastic boards, and the racers show up with these flash $3k+ carbon boards, not to mention rig cost! Contrast that to lasers, and well you can learn to sail on a laser.

Sorry about getting the wrong end of the stick. Here, when other people have said things like 'dinghies are boring' they have meant it as an insult.

I agree with all the rest of the things you said. If you were in NSW I'd lend you one of those rotomoulded poly longboards so you could try some OD racing, but unfortunately you're too far away.

Cheers.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8014 posts
8 Oct 2015 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..
I've got a friend who sails an old 80's Wally and wants to upgrade to more modern kit- no gear for him to try out other than mine and most of mine is unsuitable.
Local shop only orders in boards when you want to buy..certainly not a progressor / beginner friendly sport around here. Once you're in the know especially in GPS circles you can get gear etc but not for people like him.
He's just going to have to take a punt and buy something and hope it will do the job.

Well we got him a board - a 125 Tabou Bullit. Got to find a 6m 2nd hand rig and then a few tips from me ( bad habits and all) and hopefully he'll be on his way!

MatStirl
TAS, 136 posts
8 Oct 2015 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Don't post much but have windsurfed and sailed for 20 odd years. Love both sports.

I've slowly watched windsurfing decline in Australia over those years With no real injunction of youth. I visit qld resorts a bit on my little yacht. The windsurfers, if they have any are always sitting in racks covered in dust like some ancient but unwanted item. Everyone SUPs.

From what I can see this has been because most of us windsurfers are pretty self absorbed - don't invest much back into the sport by encouraging juniors etc and we like extreme gear and extreme moves that a beginner can never hope to emulate. Ironic that the sport was way bigger when all we had were wally windsurfers. But at least we all had the same gear, it could be used in light winds and friends could use it to learn.

Who would have thought SUP would take off like it has and there would be such a thing as SUP 'instructors'. Just shows how people want simple stuff that's easy to learn - ie. sinker wave boards, 6 inch wide speed boards, 12m sails, double forwards might excite us but do nothing to make the sport appealing to the masses.

I gave up on the fancy gear and moves years ago and cruise with my kids on a big board or jump around on an old freestyle board. The new moves by the 20 y/olds are amazing to watch but almost put me off because they are unachievable to me.

in terms of appeal to the masses unfortunately the sport really is only good for images on tvs in Harvey Norman catalogues.
to this day we do little foster the sport, the soon to not be Olympic RSX (modern day one design) should have been supported over formula (I notice no one has responded to recent RSX post) and how many boards are there now. its not unusual to have a model with 3 materials and 5 sizes - 15 boards for one model!

I personally still love the sport but overall I don't think we could have done a better job to ensure its demise within a generation.
rant over.

Mastbender
1972 posts
9 Oct 2015 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

People are generally now used to instant satisfaction or results in these days of instant news, snap chat, twitter, facebook, and an iphone permanently attached to the palm of their hands.
Windsurfing requires way too much time be get good at, for those in need of instant gratification, and you'll have to put your iphone down.
SUPing, quick results, relatively speaking.
Kiting, quick results, relatively speaking.
Fast food, the only fuel you'll need, and only requires one hand to eat.

Bluedog76
243 posts
9 Oct 2015 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

There needs be be a greater focus on youth development programs in my view, in particular 8-13 year olds. This is when so many kids get into the sports they stick with. Windsurfing just doesn't have many kids coming through the ranks and I bet virtually zero kids will take it up at a young age if their parents aren't into it already....it suffers from an aging population who are into blasting back and forth and salivating over the interwebs and next years gear (I know because the last bit is me)

New to the sport Mums and Dads are unlikely to go out and buy the kids windsurfing gear, learn how to rig it up etc and then hang around while they learn and develop and make the odd rescue but at organized events with a social atmosphere in the right locations (sheltered/shallow bays, lakes etc (e.g. camping weekends at Cootharaba) I think they would have fun in most conditions and within limited areas (look at what they do with Extreme 40s in tight spaces) - now imagine a bunch of kid going around a few marks, you can even solve the going upwind problem with downwind courses.

A focus on fun and developmental racing rather than free ride with "box rule" type gear - kids boards that perform at a similar levels with sail size can vary to suit the kids just like they do with sailing classes. Windsurfing is a great sport for developing fitness and confidence in and around the water, I think it has a lot of appeal within the right framework.

I think it would be great to see:
- Manufacturers sell very box rule or even a one design kids boards at reasonable prices (think this is already happening somewhat but I mean a $500 board)
- Organized fun race events at selected/suitable locations (maybe with a model of reduced membership for own gear and full membership if renting or gear is provided)
- Summer camps and development programs (associated with various school and other groups)

It would take some time effort and money from various ground but then I think more kids are likely to develop into the Techno, RS:X and Formula classes and likely to move into wave and other free ride type gear as they get older.

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
9 Oct 2015 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

So many good & interesting POV raised in this topic, the last from the USA guys are quite true, people want quick cheap and easy, very few prepared to work hard and long to the achieve the skills base. The best counter to this is 2 weeks dedication at well equipped windsurf resort.

Not sure the technical aspects of the sport kill it, that just consumer choice..you can get by with very little gear if your honest with yourself and your sailing.
Although I do think the most focus should be applied the most common/popular type of sailing style and gear, to have the most effect.

The other part seems true also the 'industry' seem to spend all their efforts into getting current participants to update gear, and very little on promoting to the outside world, and with SUP on the go they do seem to focussing most of their efforts towards SUP as quite simply this is where the growth and $$ is.

So if windsurfing is a drug, and we know it is.. spend less time on those already hooked and more time on getting more people hooked..a drug dealer gives the first hit for free to get one hooked...the 'industry' needs to think the same, they seem fixated on just getting a 'upgrade' sales instead of new participants.
The equipment has never been easier to learn on than now, especially with inflatable tech, so no better time than now, I don't believe the cost issue is massive factor, didn't stop kites.

In this part of the world the industry just leave it to a handful of 'volunteers' to get people hooked and hope that they then get a sale, the 'industry' not volunteers needs to 'invest' into the sports growth for it to prosper.

Take a leaf out of the AFL/NRL/Soccer Cricket junior development programs/marketing they are spending heaps (and always have) on getting people hooked, and the long term rewards and results are proven. Even Lawn bowls has a newbie strategy/plan in place!

These industry's don't sit back and rely on volunteer support only, sure there is heaps there also, but they do invest. A pro footballer especially the newbies just on contract are put to work, doing clinics, lessons, school PR etc, a sponsored or pro Windsurfer does what??? The industry may give them discounted or free gear, but again how does that promote the sport to the world?

If I was a 'brand' my 'pro sailors' would be spending 75% of their time on promoting the sport, 25% on Comp and self promotion within the industry.

Name the 'fully paid for and sponsored' 'industry' come and try/learn/promote program in your area, what schools program are they running in your area?

Media also is key, what would the 'industry' media/marketing strategy to the mass market be? How are they pushing the sport at mainstream media? I doubt there is a strategy in this country or resources dedicated to the cause. Given that the sport is so small it may have to be joint effort across the brands sharing the cost, which would actually be quite a realistic idea/goal, it all starts with a 'strategy' and I fail to see any evidence of one from the industry in this country.

Call me simple, but imagine a van/trailer in each state travelling to a suitable learning spot offering free come and try weekends every weekend, that alone would ensure a great uptake, but has regular and consistent. RQYC - Cam and the team have the closest to that going on in Brisbane and its doing a great job, amazing program and service...but again this isn't 'industry' initiative doing it, its volunteers and participants giving up their personal time.

It all has to start from the top as a joint industry effort, with a plan and strategy, done properly and executed consistently over 2-3+ year time frame,I have no doubt the sport will again grown in Australia.

Left on its own, it's in trouble.

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
9 Oct 2015 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

^^ Jonesy, a well reasoned post, especially your comment about sponsored / pro sailors.

NR
WA, 516 posts
9 Oct 2015 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

I can't imagine the sport ever dead completely. All the time there are people sailing, there are always going to be some that say they would like to do it standing on something smaller and more manoeuvrable, and easier to get down to the beach. Although kiting competes for a lot of the attention windsurfing tries to get, they are different fundamentally that I think they can both exist. I do think the fun side of windsurfing needs to be promoted as much or more than the extreme side to get kids and families involved.

I remember many days as a kid (well kinda) sailing, not planning, with some mates out. just tacking around, trying to knock each other off. ramming each other on old plastic boards, and just messing around until dark. We tried to copy those old videos of jumping from one board to another and carry on going, climbing up the rig and still moving. Or, just dropping the sail and sitting around having a chat out to sea, marvelling in the unique view that we had. This was our summer and we couldn't give a hoots that we weren't planning. We still had a lot more fun than sitting on the beach and it wasn't costing us anything to do. What should be the difference now. You couldn't do that on a kite or a boat. It was fun.

Chris 249
NSW, 3331 posts
9 Oct 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonesySail said..

Although I do think the most focus should be applied the most common/popular type of sailing style and gear, to have the most effect.

Good post, but two points;

1 - when you say the focus should be applied to 'the most common/popular type of sailing style and gear' do you mean the most common type we have NOW, or the most common type the sport would have if it became more popular? And what locations are you talking about?

For example, the booms in other sports haven't always come from the most common type of gear that people were using - they came when there was an emphasis on a type of gear that few people (perhaps no one) was using. No one was using plastic "sit on top" kayaks, Hobie kayaks, SUPs etc, and years back almost no one was using mals or "family" sailing dinghies either. Yet all of them ended up being enormously popular.

The type of gear that is most common/popular also varies a lot. Whenever I went to the airport (which most people probably consider the most popular windsurfing spot in Sydney) I was surprised how few people there were out reaching back and forth. And the most common sort of gear in WA obviously isn't going to hack it in the inner harbour in Sydney or vice versa.

So maybe the focus should be on showing all the styles of the sport as options.

2- A few of us got fairly heavily into the whole "trailer and teach" thing a few years ago. We had a specific model for a specific bunch of people in a specific place. We wanted to build our local group and class, and we hoped that once we built that up, people could move into other forms of windsurfing. The intention was always to broaden the sailing horizons of our local kids, which would be fairly easy since old slalom and wave gear is so easy to find for free.

If other people had different ideas about how kids and beginners should learn that was great and we would have loved them to run their own programmes, but we knew what we wanted. We tried using different concepts and gear repeatedly, and each time they failed IN OUR CONDITIONS although they were great in other places.

We got support from clubs and WNSW, and it worked pretty well for a while, although a lot of the people we were teaching were overseas students who went home after learning to windsurf. But we would get 15 or so local teenagers to events. Some of them got pretty serious, doing world champs.

Part of the reason we gave up was because while we got some support, most people just left all the work to a small group. And there were also a bunch of people who were prepared to throw **** at what we were doing. They would tell us that we should work more to get more cash, then we should buy new boards and then we should find somewhere to put them, then we should give up our own weekends and we should drive somewhere we didn't want to go to teach different people a different type of windsurfing..... Not surprisingly, we got sick of it all.

I suppose the issue is that people have to support those who are actually creating new sailors, rather than throwing **** at them. And windsurfing is a very diverse sport, so if we just promote one area of the sport we will limit ourselves a lot, and perhaps turn a lot of people off.

Jupiter
2156 posts
9 Oct 2015 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

I believe the "COOL" factors heavily in the decline of windsurfing.

For a start, you are 99.99% in the drinks for the first 6 months of your windsurfing endeavour. You became the entertainment for folks hanging around the beach. If you still have much skin left on your elbows and knees, and you didn't bust your voice box from constant swearing, the next 6 months may see you enjoying some "quality" time on the water, and not in it !

If you still believe what John F Kennedy said "We do it not because it is easy, but because it is hard !", then you may experience a brief few seconds of being on the plane, before you soiled your teeny weeny red budgie smuggler and let go of the lot. Then possibly another 6-12 months, before you are brave enough to hook into a harness line, and face the prospect of doing some involuntary somersaults with double pikes ! 2 years or more, I reckon, before you can comfortably hook in and lean back, and let the wind do all work for you.

On a jet ski, you are an instant hero. You can blast around to impress your girlfriend. Hawaii Five-O stuff, or Bondi Beach Rescues at your finger tips. Of course, the varieties of affordable Quad bikes that can take you anywhere, clime any mountain, but not necessarily take you home alive !

We are not a patience society. What do we want ? When do we want it ? We want it NOW !

AUS169
NSW, 58 posts
9 Oct 2015 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

I think as a like-minded community of sports people, we’re always looking for ways to be more inclusive and grow the sport to be “The Most Desired One”.

There's always ways to get involved and get others on the water. Try your local sailing club. For example, Narrabeen Lakes Sailing Club (Sydney Northern Beaches) just to name one in Sydney Clubs. Come and join in for fun on a Saturday morning training session. Even if you’re a short board sailor and never tried a long board, come down and give it a go. If you’re serious about being competitive, there’s racing as well. “All winds on a long board are good winds to sail a long board”.

If we reach out to people who are wishing to try windsurfing, wanting to get back into the sport, or show their kids and friends the "fun" and "how addictive" the sport is. We’ll all help to get the sport back to being “One of the Most Desired and Attractive Sports”.

For less than the cost of a new smart phone, someone could get a second hand “Wally” One Design Windsurfer and be having hours of fun with their family, friends and mates with only the need to recharge themselves, not the gear.

It's so refreshing to hear from "Joe" or "Jane" public paddling a SUP or sitting on the beach when I’m sailing on the lake when they turn around and say "that looks fun, how do I get on that?". We the sailors are the sport. It’s as much our responsibility to engage with new comers and returners wanting to be participants as it is for the manufacturers and retailers selling gear and the clubs that support our sport. Let’s get onboard and grow the sport.

lukeapples
VIC, 21 posts
10 Oct 2015 3:12AM
Thumbs Up

I love windsurfing and the feeling you get from it, but kitesurfing is so much easier with regards to handling gear and also the cost of replacing....

KookieMonster
QLD, 70 posts
11 Oct 2015 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Really interesting thread, everyone has made good points. Windsurfing manufacturers, retailers and importers need customers to be viable and without manufacturers, retailers and importers, we don’t have a sport.

Difficulty, wind dependence, the amount of gear required, cost and the image problem (men, we need to talk about flap back caps) are all important factors, but I think the single biggest barrier is time. Not only the time it takes to learn, but the amount of your life you end up pouring into it. I think my mates look at me (relatively responsibility free), ducking out of work or abandoning a social gathering every time I see a leaf rustle, and think to themselves “I don’t need that in my life, I’m time poor enough already.” Especially since they have all “…tried it once, I didn’t like it.” (resort with an ancient wally and a 4 metre kids rig, hired for an hour… of course they didn’t!)

Short wide learners boards are the best thing to happen to windsurfing since the clamp on boom. If we want to help keep windsurfing viable, we could all keep a Starboard Go or similar in the shed and give our mates lessons. The gear is so much easier to use these days, the learning curve is not as daunting as it once was, just be prepared to spend a little time helping them learn. If they have a poor image of windsurfing, fill your facebook stream with videos of Gollito Estredo or Phillip Kosta.

If every keen windsurfer introduced just one new sailor every couple of years the sport would be booming in no time, without the need for organised volunteers, or large capital outlay.

MatStirl
TAS, 136 posts
11 Oct 2015 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

You only have to look at the dated PWA website and that we're still going on about current exploits of past heroes like Robbie, Jason and Bjorn to know the sport is stuck in the past.

And people are right about it being uncool. The sport has very much become like skiing when snowboarding came onto the scene. The participants are all older, wear unfashionable clothes and have more money. Only difference is skiing reinvented itself. I'm not sure windsurfing is capable unless it can tap into the SUP market better. When I'm rigging up its amazing how many kids on the beach don't even know the name of the sport.

i don't think it will ever be big and maybe not even get to its former popularity but it's pretty average that Australia can't even manage an RSX representative even though NZ can. This is the Olympic class and unlike most windsurfers can be used in light winds and learnt on. I'm bias but I reckon we should all have a big board of some sort - even if it's just to give the odd friend a go before the wind picks up.

windsurfing is probably best compared to other 80's fringe sports like hang gliding and waterskiing. As the participants of those sports have aged they have declined in popularity. I'm not holding my breath but I only hope that somehow the sport becomes relevant again. Let's face it, how much better is it getting pushed along by the wind than paddling into it.

Jupiter
2156 posts
11 Oct 2015 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

At the place I windsurf regularly, I believe there was a couple of years of resurgence for the sport in WA during the mining boom. I recall, quite sadly, that a local camping store was willing to sponsor a major event during the Christmas long weekend.

It was a very well organized event. Live band, clearly marked areas for spectators, lots of colours, lots of banners.It was quite an exciting preparation. Alas, for the entire 3 days, no wind, bloody hot. Like the common saying..."All dressed up and nowhere to go !"

The live band did its best to cheer everyone up, but to no avail. I mean, how do you lift someone up on a windless 35 degree day? The competitors waited patiently for a while and gave up. Guess what, wind, all 25 knots of it, blew the following day!

The sponsor never bother again.

I believe that one of the main reasons it is not picking up new players is the fact that it is not really a spectator sport. How do you see someone doing wonder moves out among the waves? You need a pair of binoculars. Young folks want attentions. If no one can see them strutting their stuff, they won't be in it.

Mind you, windsurfing is a "loner" sport. You may go to the beach with a couple of mates. However, once you are off on the water, you are on your own. Perhaps you need to be a bit anti-social to be a windsurfers. In fact, even if you are not anti-social, you may become one after you are into it for some time

Chris 249
NSW, 3331 posts
12 Oct 2015 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

"If they have a poor image of windsurfing, fill your facebook stream with videos of Gollito Estredo or Phillip Kosta."

But won't that just reinforce the daunting image you mentioned? And if presenting radical freestyle is going to make the sport more popular, wouldn't it have become a lot more popular over the last 15 years we've been doing that, or the 15 years before that we spent presenting wavesailing? Does saying "hey, this is windsurfing, and you'll never be able to do it" attract many people?

To try to compare the images of various sports, I checked out their Wiki pages pics. The majority of pics on the pages for sailing, road cycling, SUPping, MTBing and kayaking showed people doing something they could do on day 1. Only 2 pics out of the 13 on windsurfing showed something they could do on day 1. Many of the other pics were of people doing stuff even experienced fanatics can't do.

There is a lot of research about why people don't do sports, and lack of time is normally the biggest issue - so shouldn't we also be showing the sides of our sport that doesn't need huge slabs of available time?SUPping, kayaking, road cycling etc are booming and they don't really push the radical stuff- they show people how easy it can be. They show a sport that people can do in the available time.*

Like you say, we CAN all teach friends how to windsurf. We don't even need a widestyle beginner's board. Most people can get tacking or gybing on day 1. The basic stuff isn't too hard, but for some reason we keep pushing a form of the sport that is too hard for even the majority of fanatics, and which people know they cannot do.

None of this is meant to be dissing freestyle, or waves, or any other form of windsurfing, which are all fantastic. It's just that there is a ****load of evidence from many forms, ranging from academic research to just checking out boom sports, that shows what works in promoting a sport is showing the stuff that the average person can actually do on their restricted time and budget. What each of us loves to do personally can be completely different to what we should present to the average person we want to get into the sport.

*Of course, if you live in WA or where AH has his great little junior programme working, it's a different story.

Gorgo
VIC, 4980 posts
12 Oct 2015 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

I think in the first instance, no sport is "The Sport". The vast majority of people don't do sport. They watch corporate entertainment that is called sport. Stuff like football and cricket and golf and tennis. Personally I don't get any of those things. As a good mate once said, "I would rather do something badly than watch the best in the world." I think that people who actually "Do sport." are very much in the minority.

I clearly remember when I started windsurfing in '83. The feeling of getting up and planning. The smell of the resin in the first short board. The solid feel when we finally got mast and boom connections sorted. That perfect feel of a carving gybe. Not so good memories of face planting into a mylar sail trying forward loops.

I never really had much problem with gear and expense. A couple of boards and a mast on the roof and a bunch of sails and booms. Later I standardised on a slalom board and could fit all my gear inside a Nissan hatchback (although I only once convinced the missus to ride in the back seat because the passenger seat laid down for the board and quiver bag). I even moved house so I lived directly across the road from a prime windsurfing spot.

In 1998 kiting appeared. It looked good but the gear was expensive and looked like crap. By 1999 the gear had improved a little and I thought "I'll just get one for light wind days." I struggled with it at first, but before I knew it I realised I had not been windsurfing for 11 months. I went for a blast. All the skills were still there and it was huge fun. Back to kiting. 11 months later I sold all my windsurf gear for a bargain price.

Now 15 years later I look nostalgically at windsurfing, but I don't really have the room or the inclination to double up on toys again. Kiting lets me do everything I could do windsurfing and a fair number of things that I could only dream of. I have done trips overseas with kite gear (and paid no excess baggage). I can carry all my gear in the back of my car (usually 2-3 boards but sometimes up to 5). I am usually out and riding on days when there are no other people at the beach. On sea breeze days I usually hit the water an hour before the windsurfers and finish an hour later. Even with 1 board I can cover a 10-50 knot wind range comfortably in flat water and surf. I have surfed ankle snappers and double overhead waves all on the same gear. My current challenge is getting the hydrofoil wired. I am 1-2 sessions away from that.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
12 Oct 2015 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
Good to hear that you are glued to Kitesurfing as I live in fear of an influx of nostalgic ex-kitesurfers returning to windsurfing and transforming it into some sort of aquatic "Portlandia". A place where its always 1990.

Its much better if we all teach someone new how to windsurf and experience that vicarious thrill of someone else getting hooked on the sport...

zemax
WA, 64 posts
12 Oct 2015 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Planet said..
^^^^
Good to hear that you are glued to Kitesurfing as I live in fear of an influx of nostalgic ex-kitesurfers returning to windsurfing and transforming it into some sort of aquatic "Portlandia". A place where its always 1990.

Its much better if we all teach someone new how to windsurf and experience that vicarious thrill of someone else getting hooked on the sport...

A mate of mine did just that, at first my cousin tried to teach me windsurf on a 1992 76l sinker, howling 25kn seabreeze, wanting me to get beachstarting straight up... not really pleasant, my only achievement was snapping the vintage Z boom! I thought no way will I ever even stand on that skinny board!

Then, a good mate actually taught me on some recent gear, 130l freeride board and on a gentle Sunday morning, granted, it took me a few mornings just to get the hang of it, but I was up and planning after 5-6 sessions. Now onto my 3rd seaon, I can't wait to see the green arrows lighting up on the forecast! I know he taught a few of us, and Jez is always busy on Sunday mornings teaching newcomers, it doesn't look THAT gloomy for windsurfing...

Jupiter
2156 posts
12 Oct 2015 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zemax said..

Al Planet said..
^^^^

A mate of mine did just that, at first my cousin tried to teach me windsurf on a 1992 76l sinker, howling 25kn seabreeze, wanting me to get beachstarting straight up... not really pleasant, my only achievement was snapping the vintage Z boom! I thought no way will I ever even stand on that skinny board!

Then, a good mate actually taught me on some recent gear, 130l freeride board and on a gentle Sunday morning, granted, it took me a few mornings just to get the hang of it, but I was up and planning after 5-6 sessions. Now onto my 3rd seaon, I can't wait to see the green arrows lighting up on the forecast! I know he taught a few of us, and Jez is always busy on Sunday mornings teaching newcomers, it doesn't look THAT gloomy for windsurfing...

What you said about learning to sail on a small board rang true. I have seen quite a few instances where people tried in vain to teach learners to sail, on choppy water, and strong wind !

I believe it is very irresponsible for the teachers to do that because the first couple of lessons are the most important. If you are forever in the drinks, and got hit by the rig, left, right and centre, you are most unlikely to want to keep doing it. On a couple of occasions, I have told the optimistic teacher that it is a waste of time, and a discouragement to teach a learner in such condition, and with unsuitable gear. I got a blank look, possibly a hidden message like "F-off and mind your own business !"

I was lucky that, when I started windsurfing, the surf shop owner was very generous with his time and efforts. He refused to sell me a board that was as big as the Titanic unless I get some lessons first. And guess what, he gave the three free lessons ! It goes to show that most windsurfers are a good bunch

KookieMonster
QLD, 70 posts
12 Oct 2015 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..
"If they have a poor image of windsurfing, fill your facebook stream with videos of Gollito Estredo or Phillip Kosta."

But won't that just reinforce the daunting image you mentioned? And if presenting radical freestyle is going to make the sport more popular, wouldn't it have become a lot more popular over the last 15 years we've been doing that, or the 15 years before that we spent presenting wavesailing? Does saying "hey, this is windsurfing, and you'll never be able to do it" attract many people?

Like you say, we CAN all teach friends how to windsurf. We don't even need a widestyle beginner's board. Most people can get tacking or gybing on day 1. The basic stuff isn't too hard, but for some reason we keep pushing a form of the sport that is too hard for even the majority of fanatics, and which people know they cannot do.

Chris, regarding the the image, I guess it really depends on the personality of the folks you are encouraging to learn, its probably different for different people. Personally, I got a mate into windsurfing in high-school (MKSeven), by just leaving magazines on his desk showing Jason Polakow and Robbie Naish riding monster waves and doing forward loops. It made us want to windsurf (even if we still can't forward loop lol). On the other hand I look at pictures of folks kayaking or SUPing on flat water or windsurfing on wallys and think, what is the point? (not that there is anything wrong with those sports, but it would not attract me personally, so you know, horses for courses.)

You are of course right that you don't need a modern widestyle board to teach someone, my point is simply that its easier to learn short-board riding now than ever, but a lot of people still talk about it as if it is as difficult as it was during the needle nose fad, which probably puts a few people off. I had a mate come down this summer and give the long board a go, he (miraculously from my point of view) sailed back and forth across the bay on his first day in a gentle breeze, came in and told me he could not see what all the fuss was about and never came back. Floating around on longboards is not for everyone. I guess I'm just saying there is no one way to teach or to get people into the sport. It's just going to depend on the person.

To some extent, people who are time poor and don't want too much of a challenge are probably better off on a SUP anyway.

Chris 249
NSW, 3331 posts
12 Oct 2015 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KookieMonster said..

Chris 249 said..

Chris, regarding the the image, I guess it really depends on the personality of the folks you are encouraging to learn, its probably different for different people. Personally I got a mate into windsurfing in high-school (MKSeven), by just leaving magazines on his desk showing Jason Polakow and Robbie Naish riding monster waves and doing forward loops. It made us want to windsurf (even if we still can't forward loop lol). On the other hand I look at pictures of folks kayaking or SUPing on flat water or windsurfing on wallys and think, what is the point? (not that there is anything wrong with those sports, but it would not attract me personally, so you know, horses for courses.)

You are of course right that you don't need a modern widestyle board to teach someone, my point is simply that its easier to learn short-board riding now than ever, but a lot of people still talk about it as if it is as difficult as it was during the needle nose fad, which probably puts a few people off. I had a mate come down this summer and give the long board a go, he (miraculously from my point of view) sailed back and forth across the bay on his first day in a gentle breeze, can in and told me he could not see what all the fuss was about and never came back. Floating around on longboards is not for everyone. I guess I'm just saying there is no one way to teach or to get people into the sport. Its just going to depend on the person.

To some extent, people who are time poor and don't want too much of a challenge are probably better off on a SUP anyway.

I'm sure you're dead right - different strokes are for different folks. There's no one way to teach or get people into the sport.

About challenge - after doing just about all types of windsurfing (waves, slalom, freestyle, longboarding, cruising, instructing, etc) since 1978, I still find something as simple as getting a longboard upwind in 8 knots of breeze is a massive challenge - as long as you're trying to do it as well as ex-Olympians and people like that. Like the 100m run, everyone can do it but there's a huge challenge in doing it better.

If I look at my other sports (cycling and boat sailing) it seems that a lot of the reason they are doing better than windsurfing is because they give people a challenge that's not restricted to windy conditions, and they give it in a more sociable atmosphere in a lot of ways. If people were told how windsurfing as something that could be either relaxing OR challenging, even if it's not windy, then maybe more of them be interested. And some of us relish a challenge, but not when we can't challenge ourselves unless the wind cooperates - then everything becomes so much out of our control that the challenge evaporates.

It often seems to me that where windsurfing loses it is that it hasn't found a sort of seamless flow between the relaxing stuff (like the flatwater SUPping and leisure kayaking) and what is seen as the more challenging or weather dependent stuff. In sports like cycling, yacht sailing or sea kayaking you can give yourself a heart attack or scare yourself ****less by going further or harder, without getting into racing or being dependent on the wind. They also allow you to challenge yourself a lot on the same sort of gear you can ride to work or use any day on the harbour, and there is probably more respect from the guys who do the "extreme" stuff towards the guys who do the other stuff really well. As an example if you are a good sailor in the slow, simple but popular Laser dinghy class, you get quite a lot of respect from the top guys in the 'extreme' side of sailing like Sydney-Hobart racing or America's Cup foilers. You don't get similar things happening in windsurfing.

I don't mean to be hyper-critical and hypocritical....just raving about a problem that the sport doesn't seem to have really got to grips with. Sorry about getting the widestyle point wrong. Cheers, and I hope you don't put yourself in hospital like I did trying for forwards!

Wingfoil Rentals
66 posts
14 Oct 2015 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Great thread!

Love this sport. 1 season down, got some rigg from the boys over there at windsurf snow , Sam Dennis and Chris. Gave me a few pointers and headed for the Philippines. Yeah too many kites on the beach and sure is a lot of girls out there, hmm that sport is for the eyes (bikini wise) over here anyway

About the difficulty factor. Sure is tough! It's the hardest sport I've ever done mainly because of very few great days one gets to keep at it. Rigging up, luckily I could set and forget and stored right next to the beach path. The plane is awesome and I'm not sure I did things in proper order, didn't matter, just needed to hang on and keep up with the bikini kites. Didn't learn to turn until the last week of the season! Just jumped off etc

Anyhow, season 2 about to start.
Windsurfing is the only sport I'm interested in, the challenge just begun! and past life was extreme mogul skier of 20 years

echunda
VIC, 764 posts
19 Oct 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrSpinout said..
Add to what have been said:

- The large size of the gear and required storage
- Cost of gear
- Need for a car to transport your gear

Those 3 were the reason why I stopped for 10 years

+ Children.

I would instantly join a club (and pay a premium) if they has decent gear available on the beach ready to sail. I'm not interested in old long boards or large beginner kit.

Sailing has stood the test of time because they offer storage at or very near the waterfront as well as a range of boats you can lease for the season. Kids come along and are drawn into sailing because their mum or dad do it.

I sold all my kit to move to dinghy racing for this reason.

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
19 Oct 2015 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
echunda said..

MrSpinout said..

- Cost of gear

+ Children.

I would instantly join a club (and pay a premium) if they has decent gear available on the beach ready to sail. I'm not interested in old long boards or large beginner kit.

Sailing has stood the test of time because they offer storage at or very near the waterfront as well as a range of boats you can lease for the season. Kids come along and are drawn into sailing because their mum or dad do it.

You can get what you want if you move to Brisbane and join the Royal Brisbane Yacht Squadron.

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
19 Oct 2015 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Some pictures of the weekend at RQYS, had about 18 or 20 people attend for the Saturday morning session half kids half adults.

The new bic windsups arrived and got christened, old RSX in the background with cut down fins make good learning boards

Bic Nova rigs a working great, light weight and durable plus by not having a super short boom it helps to control power of the sail as its not either on or off but power can be increased gradually.

Two container's acting as temporary storage whilst we wait for the windsurfing shed to get built, plus a brand new Nova 4.5 getting unwrapped and rigged urgently as one of the participants waits to get it wet for the first time.

echunda
VIC, 764 posts
19 Oct 2015 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

echunda said..

MrSpinout said..

- Cost of gear

+ Children.

You can get what you want if you move to Brisbane and join the Royal Brisbane Yacht Squadron.

Too far away...

Nothing like that in Vic.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Why isn't windsufring THE sport?" started by Sputnik11