Forums > Windsurfing General

Windsurfing Elwood 2013-2014 Home Movie

Created by Sime > 9 months ago, 9 Apr 2014
Sime
VIC, 9 posts
9 Apr 2014 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone

I'm pretty new around here. I only returned to the sport 12 months ago after a 15 year break. I can't believe I ever stopped but it means now I'm more obssessed than I ever was as a teenager. Here's a little movie I put together with all the footage I took on my GoPro over summer. There's nothing amazing as far as tricks go and unfortunately all the major wipe outs happened when the camera ran out of battery so hopefully it doesn't bore you too much. Please ignore the "Nugget Productions" thing. That's just something silly I made up when making a movie years ago about a brown ski boat I used to own. I have no professional movie editing training but I do enjoy making movies as a bit of a hobbie.

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
9 Apr 2014 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid. Bring back the seabreezes!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17452 posts
9 Apr 2014 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Great vid..

Brings back good memories of sailing straight into the late afternoon sun at Pt Ormond.

What board are you on?

Relapse
VIC, 583 posts
9 Apr 2014 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh what a great season, a distant memory now. Only 7 months to the Sandy Point season opener!!!!

Sime
VIC, 9 posts
9 Apr 2014 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
What board are you on?

It's a Naish Koncept 100. Absolutely love the board. It's perfect for the conditions down at Elwood. Mind you I don't have anything to compare it other than my 18 year old Speed World Cup Slalom but I'm happy with it.

Select to expand quote
Relapse said..
Ahhh what a great season, a distant memory now. Only 7 months to the Sandy Point season opener!!!!

I'm not giving up on the season just yet, although windy days are definately a lot fewer. I got out last Friday after work and the forecast is looking good for this Friday or Saturday depending on where you look.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
9 Apr 2014 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Vid. Really liked the slow mo in the gybes and the changing of camera view every few seconds. Had a sail in the bay this summer when in Melb and just hired some gear from the Zuu in St Kilda for a couple of hours. It was excellent Stbd Atomic 110 and 6.5 NCX. There where heaps of ramps to jump off and gybing on the face of the big chop.

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
9 Apr 2014 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Well, Elwood sure ain't Maui, but that's a great vid of our little patch.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
9 Apr 2014 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

At least there is no turtles!!!

cameronil
VIC, 97 posts
9 Apr 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

That was good to watch some nice angles. Great vid.

There are no turtles like at Hookipa, just turdles at Pookipa (as aptly named by the locals)!!

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
9 Apr 2014 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid man. Some cool editing work too. How long did the edit take?

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
9 Apr 2014 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Great vid, very creative. Good onya!!!

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
9 Apr 2014 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Nice video!

Love sailing Elwood, really captured the mood there.

Ah.... summer seems like so long ago......

Really like that pintail of a Naish board, nice looking board.

Thanks for sharing.

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
9 Apr 2014 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cameronil said..

That was good to watch some nice angles. Great vid.

There are no turtles like at Hookipa, just turdles at Pookipa (as aptly named by the locals)!!

At least hitting a turdle won't bust your fin.

Sime
VIC, 9 posts
10 Apr 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

The colour grading I chose definately made Elwood look perhaps a little more prettier than it really is but we won't tell that to our interstate comrades.

Select to expand quote
Sputnik11 said..
Nice vid man. Some cool editing work too. How long did the edit take?

A lot of time went into the movie. After each session I'd go home and go through the footage to pick out the bits I wanted in the film. This was easy at the start because all I was doing is grabbing 10 second snippets of me going flat chat but the movie needed a bit more than that to add some interest. So fishing through the footage to find a gybe I nailed or THE jump I did that day can take a bit of time when you've got a hour worth of footage. Say 4-5 hours for this bit all up.

On location filming scenery 30 minutes. The time lapse at the start was 20 minutes squeazed into 7 seconds.

Searching for the news report at the start about 1 hour

Editing - putting the clips together, syncing with the music in parts, slow motion, colour correction I think was about 6 hours.

So all up about 12 hours for a 4 minute video. I do enjoy the creative side of it though so the time doesn't bother me.

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
10 Apr 2014 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Sweet clip, killer track!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Windsurfing Elwood 2013-2014 Home Movie" started by Sime