Forums > Windsurfing General

Winter is coming - wave sailing Cottesloe video - may 018

Created by Reflex Films > 9 months ago, 8 May 2018
Reflex Films
WA, 1445 posts
8 May 2018 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

We had a fun day at Dutch inn Sunday 6 may.

It was pretty on shore and moody but there was some swell and a few gusts to take advantage of.

Big shout out and Thank you to Thomas Hoffman for the aerial cinematography.

Gear : DJI Phantom in the sky, Windtech Magic Bullets in the water. 5.3 blade.

paulyNOR
WA, 58 posts
8 May 2018 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Great footage
Good skills with the loops but my fave was the duck tack

barbarian
NSW, 218 posts
8 May 2018 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

I liked the first loop into gybe!

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
9 May 2018 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Great video, love it.

lao shi
SA, 1293 posts
9 May 2018 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Love the stalled forwards.
Shows the technique really clearly..
Great drone footage as usual, Thomas!

NR
WA, 516 posts
9 May 2018 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

I hadn't bothered watching windsurf videos for quite some time. I am not sure why I clicked on this one. I did, and loved the angles and sailing. Good Job.

azymuth
WA, 2029 posts
9 May 2018 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lao shi said..
Love the stalled forwards.
Shows the technique really clearly..
Great drone footage as usual, Thomas!

Looks so easy - big floaty jump, push the boom forward and into the wind, rotate - what can go wrong

Or...Matt is just operating on another level

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
9 May 2018 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

Fwds were great. But that duck-tack was all time. Haven't seen one of those in ages. Going to learn that next spring. Fantastic footage and angles all up, and great sailing too.

Reflex Films
WA, 1445 posts
10 May 2018 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the comments - I have to say the combo of the fast rocker line , balanced volume distribution and the flexi tail for looseness makes mobility and wave riding an absolute breeze. Jumps wise - we can all tune up our gear pretty well these days so a fast rocker 90% determines your jump height. Not just via speed but also by the ability to be moving fast which in turn takes the pressure out of your sail - which in turn allows you to control your rig when you are powered up.

The variables tend to feed into each other to deliver a leveraged / turbo result (if that makes sense)

being 90kgs mobility is a concern so i generally try and ride powered up.

If you want to go higher in gusty on shore then setting your sail with a bit of belly (sail touching or close to boom arm when powered) and keeping the leech a little tighter definitely helps give and extra foot or two of pop. And keeps the onshore bottom turns going - Which makes all the difference.

When things get smooth, windier and more side shore you can go back to your spec settings.

(Feel free to ignore all of the above )

The boards are quite different from anything on the market today (especially the extra length and the benefits that it brings) but we are confident that the performance footprint is MASSIVE.

We have Windtech demo MAGIC BULLETS (in 95 and 95 litres) in Perth for anyone that wants to take one away for a day and experience some super early planing, fast speed and drivey turns.

Reflex Films
WA, 1445 posts
10 May 2018 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick correction

- we have 95 AND 85 litre Magic Bullets available for demo. Feedback from "demoees" is that our 95 litre MAGIC BULLET is planing earlier out turning other boards that are 10 litres larger.

azymuth
WA, 2029 posts
10 May 2018 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Reflex Films said..
- we have 95 AND 85 litre Magic Bullets available for demo. Feedback from "demoees" is that our 95 litre MAGIC BULLET is planing earlier out turning other boards that are 10 litres larger.

True - my WindTech Magic Bullet 95 planes as early as my Goya One 105 did, is just as fast and turns heaps tighter

Loved the Goya but I reckon the WindTech is just better

Plus I like playing with the flex-tail

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Winter is coming - wave sailing Cottesloe video - may 018" started by Reflex Films