Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Alternative to the GT-31

Created by Tony Polony > 9 months ago, 11 Feb 2015
decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
27 Apr 2015 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting Brian, did they both have as good a view of the satellites?
Especially as somebody else says the logit had more satellites than the GT31, maybe it's the difference in the phone chip?

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
27 Apr 2015 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
Interesting Brian, did they both have as good a view of the satellites?
Especially as somebody else says the logit had more satellites than the GT31, maybe it's the difference in the phone chip?

Sitting side by side on the dash. Satellite numbers appear almost identical on both files too (between 8 -10 sats for most the trip) Even with the phone track drop outs the numbers between the two units are incredibly close.

berowne
NSW, 1279 posts
27 Apr 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

If one knot is 0.51m/s then 0.1 kts is 51mm/s.
Perhaps 1Hz recordings just aren't inherently accurate enough given the errors in the GPS system.
Maybe the 5hz or 10hz data loggers are necessary for more accuracy?

boardsurfr
WA, 2294 posts
27 Apr 2015 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like basically dropped points for the doppler speed. This is probably phone specific, I did not see any in ~3 hours of tracks on my phone. Could be the GPS chip, or might be a multitasking issue, where other apps use up CPU cycles that would be needed to get the doppler speeds. Does the same thing happen when you quit all open apps, and turn off cellular and wifi?

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
27 Apr 2015 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

That makes sense, the phone is probably multi tasking.

TGale
TAS, 301 posts
28 Apr 2015 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Also worth remembering that the phone antenna orientation and performance may influence accuracy in addition to the performance of the GPS chip and the software, etc...

BSN101
WA, 2283 posts
28 Apr 2015 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

BSN101 said..

"an amount of no advertising will sell nothing to anyone interested" The market does exist its just about them being told its here for them.

And the potential market has more than doubled if the new toy is cheap enough and fully featured. And works for wet & dry applications.

OK I've posted on the general forum, asking who'd buy a GPS, see if we get any answers.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/General-Discussion/Chat/would-you-buy-a-GPS/

feel free to add/change my parameters.

not much expression of interest over there..

This post has had over 8800 reads..

But, the forum "first results with the Canmore 102" has had 21777 reads, Now we're talking.

And yes i guess we have all looked once or twice to bump up the numbers.

Forum, "lake george 2014-15", 21139 reads (what type of sailing do they do there again?)

Is there really not a market? Im not so sure.

mathew
QLD, 2038 posts
28 Apr 2015 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

Is there really not a market? Im not so sure.

There are already good GPS's available... they are just far too expensive for the professional-consumer (I cant use that term "pro-sumer"...) market.

BSN101
WA, 2283 posts
29 Apr 2015 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

then they are not good enough! simple.

agree?

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
29 Apr 2015 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

boardsurfr said..
Looks like basically dropped points for the doppler speed. This is probably phone specific, I did not see any in ~3 hours of tracks on my phone. Could be the GPS chip, or might be a multitasking issue, where other apps use up CPU cycles that would be needed to get the doppler speeds. Does the same thing happen when you quit all open apps, and turn off cellular and wifi?

Boardsurfr,
Had a look at track again in realspeed and it's the trackpoint that's dropping out not the doppler track - you can turn off specific graph fields in Realspeed and when turning the doppler field off, the track with the dropouts (invalid points) is still showing. I think you're right regarding the phone multitasking affecting the track though. If you want to analyse you can download both files off KA72 http://www.ka72.com/biglist.aspx (just put in "driving" as a filter by track type and they'll be at the top of the list "Lammermoor Beach, QLD, AU"

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
29 Apr 2015 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
berowne said..
Just noticed the bottom left quarter, speed results includes mSDoP and min/max details that are not available with the cheapy GPS!
Does anyone know if the Canmore 102+ firmware been updated to include SDoP?

Correct. The only GPS chips that we know of now that can produce the SDOP value on the Doppler speeds are the UBlox ones. Some SIRF chips can be made to give these values as well but it requires some special firmware which is normally not easily implemented.

The Canmore does not produce SDOP values (or HDOP AFAIK as it does not log the satellite positions).

So it is very unlikely that any phone will be able to give us the SDOP accuracy values unless you can use it to record the output of one of the Bluetooth loggers that have UBlox chips in them. eg: Wintec G-Rays 1 and 11, but I think both of those are out of production now.

boardsurfr
WA, 2294 posts
30 Apr 2015 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

sausage said..
Boardsurfr,
Had a look at track again in realspeed and it's the trackpoint that's dropping out not the doppler track - you can turn off specific graph fields in Realspeed and when turning the doppler field off, the track with the dropouts (invalid points) is still showing. I think you're right regarding the phone multitasking affecting the track though. If you want to analyse you can download both files off KA72 http://www.ka72.com/biglist.aspx (just put in "driving" as a filter by track type and they'll be at the top of the list "Lammermoor Beach, QLD, AU"

Sausage,

I looked at your tracks in GPSAR Pro and GPSResults. Both programs give the same top 500 m results for the GT-31 and the GPSLogIt data. Neither shows the drop to 0 that Realspeed shows. Looking at the track points, it seems that some points are simply missing:

For example, 631 is 5 seconds after 630. Seems Realspeed does not handle this well, but the other programs do.

I looked back at a GPSLogIt track I made in windsurfing with a phone in airplane mode (except for GPS). Of the 10700 data points, only 5 have a time interval of > 1 seconds. All of these were during wet jibes, where the GPS lost reception. Seems it does not record data points when it does not have a fix, just like the Canmore.

Chances are what you saw was a mix of dropped points from multi-tasking, plus Realspeed not handling missing data points well. Quitting open apps and turning of cellular and wifi should address the multitasking problems. Even with missing points, analysis with GPSAR Pro and GPSResults still gives the expected results.

berowne
NSW, 1279 posts
30 Apr 2015 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

$200 data logger looks interesting. Cheaper than my GT31 was, if my fading memory is correct.
Qstarz BT-Q1000eX Racing GPS (10Hz) but I doubt it is waterproof.
There is also a $500 option with a screen but it is only splash resistant ipx3.

mathew
QLD, 2038 posts
1 May 2015 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..

For example, 631 is 5 seconds after 630. Seems Realspeed does not handle this well, but the other programs do.

Realspeed handles this exactly correctly - it is the other two that are incorrect. ie: a loss of precision due to data-loss, should be detected and flagged appropriately.

berowne
NSW, 1279 posts
1 May 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

iMacWear M7 GPS android 4.2.2 Smartphone

vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=351263354641&category=9355&pm=1&ds=0&t=1430449669641

Very few details about The GPS chipset

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
1 May 2015 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
berowne said..
iMacWear M7 GPS android 4.2.2 Smartphone

vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=351263354641&category=9355&pm=1&ds=0&t=1430449669641

Very few details about The GPS chipset

IP67 - wouldn't be waterproof hitting the water at 30knots.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
1 May 2015 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..

boardsurfr said..

Realspeed handles this exactly correctly - it is the other two that are incorrect. ie: a loss of precision due to data-loss, should be detected and flagged appropriately.

Totally agree Mathew. Funny thing is it is only the trackpoints graph in realspeed that shows the data loss areas whereas the doppler speed graph bridges these . Do GPSResults and GPSAR Pro only show doppler graphs and not trackpoint in their programme?

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
1 May 2015 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..
>>>>. Do GPSResults and GPSAR Pro only show doppler graphs and not trackpoint in their programme?

Gpsarpro will show either, in one long display, or you can split the display and show both in separate windows. I think I like the Real speed display better where they are both together in different colours, that way the differences are immediately obvious.

berowne
NSW, 1279 posts
2 May 2015 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Garmin 920XT just got more interesting.
Nice sounding app custom made to...
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/Garmin-920XT-Windsurfing-activity/

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
2 May 2015 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

I have received word from Locosys that evaluation samples of the GX-52 are being shipped now.

I will have one to evaluate very soon. It's on it's way now!

We are hoping it lives up to expectation and we will finally have a highly capable alternative. Stay tuned.......

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
4 May 2015 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Look what arrived at the front door a few minutes ago:

AUS4
NSW, 1253 posts
4 May 2015 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Is there anything in it or is it just a box ?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
4 May 2015 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

touch screen.......

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
5 May 2015 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

ok open the box!!!!

cheers Russ

jn1
2454 posts
5 May 2015 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Look what arrived at the front door a few minutes ago:

Does this unit have a UTC time display in hours:minutes:seconds ?. The GT31 had this feature, and I found it handy.

Roo
782 posts
6 May 2015 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Manfred has made some more upgrades to his GPSLogit app. Version 6 is available now http://www.gpsresults.com/GPSLogItV1.6trial.apk

He has made the numbers much bigger on the zoom screen and you can pick the readout for it to display.

He has also allowed you to keep the screen on so you can read the display whilst windsurfing. Even better he has set it up to readout the speed like the old speedtalker app.

I must say he has been very responsive to suggestions I've made and implemented then very quickly. I'm using it on a Motorola Moto X and it works very smoothly now.

Roo

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
6 May 2015 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

It's looking better all the time!
Keeping the display on makes it much more usable, but how does that affect battery life?
The other thing I'd like is a Nautical mile readout, has anybody suggested that?

TGale
TAS, 301 posts
7 May 2015 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TASSIEROCKS said..
ok open the box!!!!

We don't want to apply undue pressure to open the box prematurely. Suggest forgetting about the box by watching some F1:

Roo
782 posts
6 May 2015 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said..
It's looking better all the time!
Keeping the display on makes it much more usable, but how does that affect battery life?
The other thing I'd like is a Nautical mile readout, has anybody suggested that?

It has nautical mile readout in "very" big numbers, you can select any of the categories to show in the zoom screen. Each phone will use power differently with the screen kept on, you'll have to experiment with yours but it can be toggled on or off in the settings along with sound.

Latest version 1-7 here: http://www.gpsresults.com/GPSLogItV1.7trial.apk

Roo

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
7 May 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TGale said..
TASSIEROCKS said..
ok open the box!!!!

We don't want to apply undue pressure to open the box prematurely. Suggest forgetting about the box by watching some F1:
?rel=0

Nah, I was watching the MotoGP.....

Oh really? You guys want to see what it looks like? I thought everyone had already seen all the pics. Well OK. Here it is:

Sorry for the quality of some pics. Cropped pics from my phone.

Contents of box. No paperwork or manual! I guess it will be all online?
This is definitely very early production! Serial # 000002

Comparison with a GT-31

Back view showing strap holes.

Seal over USB port

The seal open showing how it fits into the actual usb port. This should help to seal it better.

The door hinges on a tie and can be pivoted aside

So far I have charged it and set it up.

The setting up was a bit tedious as there is no manual on the Locosys web site yet for it. Fortunately, I had downloaded a manual from when they first announced this model a few months ago. I am going to have to make a waterproof 'cheat sheet' to carry around with me all the time because I simply can't remember the combinations on the touch screen to change settings etc.

The sensitivity of the screen on this one is vastly better than the watch prototype we tested some time ago and it works quite well.

I have not connected a computer to it yet to download. To my great frustration, it is Windoze only and there is no Mac software interface. A major fault right there!!

I am trying to fire up my ancient Lenovo laptop to get it connected.

I set it down in the backyard and watched the screen display during stationary logging. The rolling variation from zero speed was significantly lower than the GT-31 which is a good sign of it's superior accuracy. I will do some geostationary logging tomorrow next to a GT-31 and compare them. In the brief viewing, the displayed speed was mostly (99%) 0.00 to 0.02 which it quite astounding to me, being an order of magnitude smaller than that commonly seen with the GT-31.

Battery life, data capacity and download ease are still to be determined.

Thats it so far for me but I know there are a few other test units in the hands of a small number of other people so I expect some other test data soon.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Alternative to the GT-31" started by Tony Polony