Alternative to the GT-31

Created by Tony Polony > 9 months ago, 11 Feb 2015
sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
10 May 2015 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
808 said..

Maybe if the door was a rubber or silicon plug there would be half a chance it would seal, but hard plastic won't do a thing

All I can say is that it has apparently passed the IP7 testing and the material for the door/plug is a softish, pliable material.

It should be zero problem in a waterproof bag, even if the bag leaks a little.

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
10 May 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

I took it sailing today. It was a bad day. The wind was too west. First run was best with 6.2m on slalom board with 34 cm fin. The GX-52 said I peaked at just over 38 knots! Changed to speed board immediately, but the wind died and swung too far West again. Skunked!

Got back to find NO LOG in the GX-52. I am starting to get a bit Pissed off!

I can't see any reason why it didn't log. The Genie recorded my speeds on the display, but no log file. Oh well, back to studying the set up guide! It should not be that hard.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
10 May 2015 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

OK got a low speed sail in today with the big stuff.
Bugger, image of gpsarpro isn't loading, but it's viewable here.

www.gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2015-05-10&team=2

I had the GW and the GT in the same paqua, to get their antennas as close as possible

Pleasingly the touch screen is usable through the paqua plastic, but the font for the best 5 max and average is very small, probably better than the canmore though, I can just read them if the light is right and there's not too much water on the plastic. The large font for last run max and average is very similar to the GT31. So if you've only got the standard factory firmware for the GT31 the GW52 is possibly more usable, except I couldn't find a distance display.

Speed genie just scrolls through max speed and max average, for the last run only, toggling thru the 5 best max and average returns you to a zeroed genie screen, which then records current speed until the genie is tripped again.

When the internal memory fills up, it deletes the oldest data and continues writing new, but I didn't notice any warning that this was happening.
I got just under 8hrs data at 5hz, I'll try the smart logger next, (this records at 1hz until the speed genie triggers then it switches to 5hz) depending on how you set speed genie, this could increase the time considerably, then the battery becomes an issue.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
10 May 2015 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
I took it sailing today. It was a bad day. The wind was too west. First run was best with 6.2m on slalom board with 34 cm fin. The GX-52 said I peaked at just over 38 knots! Changed to speed board immediately, but the wind died and swung too far West again. Skunked!

Got back to find NO LOG in the GX-52. I am starting to get a bit Pissed off!

I can't see any reason why it didn't log. The Genie recorded my speeds on the display, but no log file. Oh well, back to studying the set up guide! It should not be that hard.

I found setting it up in the utility much easier, but the logging does seem to change by itself. I was sure I had it set on 5hz yesterday, but the utility said it was off. Today when I plugged it in early to make sure it was logging, the utility was on 1 hz but the file is definitely 5hz.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
11 May 2015 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't get much done today, Jimbob and Penny arrived just after lunch.
But this morning I did check for a distance read out. The quick set up guide says the distance is displayed in the scrolling speed genie window, the unit Surf Sail Australia has lent me doesn't do this, so I guess there's either a fault in this unit or a firmware glitch.

Andrew, do you have a distance readout on yours?

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
11 May 2015 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

No distance readout that I could find either.
I asked Locosys and Tom about the History Max scrolling through months ago. They kept fobbing me off and avoiding the question. No I know why! Not good enough!

I got mine to log today. It seems that there are problems with the Utility. It does not seem to talk to the GPS settings. I had to use the GPS screen to turn logging on and adjust the HZ rate. On the screen there is no option for smart logging. Another bug methinks.

I logged everything at 5hz today.

A couple of observations.:

-5hz give slightly better speeds.

At first I was a bit worried when comparing with the GT-31 results, but then I realised I should have expected this. Logging at 5hz means the software can find a slightly faster section in a normal speed run due to its higher resolution.

Peak speeds on the 3 GT-31's were a few hundreths of a second under 45 knots. peaks speed on the GX was 45.08. But the 2 second speeds from GPS-Results and RealSpeed were almost identical, so it's not a biggie.

My best 10 sec on the GT-31 was 43.96. On the GX-62 it was 44.18.

- The screen font is slightly smaller than the GT-31. I can read it fine when I stop but it is harder to read on the go.

- The SDOP strength bar on the screen is pretty well useless because it does not show up when the genies screen is showing. This means the only time you could see it is before the first run and after that, while you are over the Genie speed.

-I was running it for about 3.5 hrs. The memory was almost exactly half full when I downloaded.

- The file is SBP. No satellite position and strength in the file, but I guess the reasoning is that it is not needed with SDOP values. I don't agree. The number of sats fixed on is logged. Not sure about this.....

- The use of the Menu relies on pure memory. One has to just memorise the touch combinations to manipulate the settings and review your runs. Not good for the memory challenged like me. Maybe it will finally sink in

- as already mentioned: there is no on unit setting for smart logging, and

- the GX-52 Windose utility does not seem to communicate the settings to the GPS unit, and although it seemed to write the username to the unit OK, it actually didn't. and

- There is no distance readout on the screen. Correction. There may be a distance readout. I just looked at the set up manual and notice that there may be a distance readout in the genie speed review function. After scrolling through the 'Max' speeds and then 'Max 10 sec' speeds, the next screen shows the Time, Date, GPS location coordinates and maybe the distance. Mine has reset to blank so I will have to check this next time I use it. It is super tiny font though.

- You can view the top peak speed list and 'N' second (10 second) list in the utility, but you can't save it to your computer like with the GT-31.

- The Utility seems to make and save a KML file OK for track viewing in Google Earth.

- Although fiddly in that it requires physically plugging the GPS into your Windows computer via USB and opening the utility, the actual download is quite fast. It took only maybe 10-20 seconds for me.

Thats about all I can think of now.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
11 May 2015 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Andrew, I'm becoming more familiar with mine now, I'm finding the buttons are fairly logical, "gps + adjust" to get into gps settings, "start + gps" to get into gps mode.
and using start and reset to scroll up and down isn't too bad as there are actually pointers there to indicate that use.
I like the "medal" icon when you get a new peak speed, although through the paqua it's not that visible.

The only thing that threw me here is the auto lock function, as soon as you enter GPS mode the screen locks, you then have to hit "start + mode" to unlock it. I was expecting it to relock again but it doesn't, once you unlock it, it stays that way until you hit "start + mode" again.

If you don't have distance, I'm fairly sure there's a glitch in the firmware, and I'm confident that will be fixed. I was in doubt of my observations the other day, so I checked this morning and speed genie only cycles between max and average, no distance. I've emailed locosys for their take on this. I'll get back with their reply.

Strange you have problems with the utility, it seems to work fine for me, I've renamed mine "test unit 6" and this appears in the utility and the file header, but the name in gpsarpro is very strange.
With any luck there'll be a bit more wind for us in the morning, and I'll try smart logging.
But I won't have the two units in the same pouch, can't really get enough turns on the opening.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
12 May 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

OK, took the unit for a smart logging test today and it failed miserably!
I think it's a Dumb Logger!

Had some fun on the water today, GW52 on my upper right arm, Gt31 on the right shoulder. the Gw52 gave me a max of 28.63 the GT31, 28.18.
Was looking forward to checking the files, especially what happened as the smart logger changed frequency in the middle of a gybe.
BUT nothing was recorded today!!! The file was still full of what I did on the 10th. So to check whether this was caused by a full memory or smart logger selection, I deleted the memory, and took the unit for a drive to the shops, had 39.5 on the display, but an empty data logger. So then changed from smart logger to 5hz, went for a walk round the park, and had a successful recording.

I suspect that the smart logger function hasn't made it into this firmware, that's why you can't select it from the unit, and when selected from the utility, the unit doesn't know what to do, so it does nothing.
Tomorrow may bring us a bit more wind, so I'll have another go at 5hz.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
13 May 2015 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

how about creating a topic just for the GW (or GX ) 52 ???

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
13 May 2015 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
how about creating a topic just for the GW (or GX ) 52 ???

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but was going to start it when I'd finished my tests, and could be positive about what's going on.
But perhaps I'll start one with today's strange results, once I've figured out what's caused them.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
13 May 2015 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

HMM, are those green arrows for starting a new thread now, or waiting till we've reached some conclusions?????

Tossed a coin, and it's start anew thread, see you there.

TGale
TAS, 301 posts
22 May 2015 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

I have been wearing a "TomTom Multi-Sport Cardio" GPS watch on my wrist and a GT-31 on the top of my head over the past couple on months when windsurfing. Below is a comparison of GPS results from 9 windsurfing sessions. It seems the TomTom always underestimates the GT-31 results by 1 or 2% (double that for distance).

BSN101
WA, 2283 posts
22 May 2015 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

is there any word on the Thingsy ? is it being tested and put through the windsurfing ringer yet?

Te Hau
479 posts
23 May 2015 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TGale said..
I have been wearing a "TomTom Multi-Sport Cardio" GPS watch on my wrist and a GT-31 on the top of my head over the past couple on months when windsurfing. Below is a comparison of GPS results from 9 windsurfing sessions. It seems the TomTom always underestimates the GT-31 results by 1 or 2% (double that for distance).

Well throw that TomTom in the bin if it's making you slower

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
24 May 2015 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
is there any word on the Thingsy ? is it being tested and put through the windsurfing ringer yet?

I think there was some info in the GPS-SS website and/or maybe the GPS-SS FB page.

They had an issue with the hardware with the first engineering sample and had to wait for a replacement which they have now and it apparently is working as it should. That put them back a couple months. Apparently it is full steam ahead with software development now. We should her more soon.

monaro
QLD, 105 posts
25 May 2015 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Will the powers to be, looking at the garmin 920 xt ,now that the software has be modified to suit windsurfing, kiting.
Looks to be a good replacement if it fits the criterier needed.
Cheers

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
25 May 2015 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
monaro said..
Will the powers to be, looking at the garmin 920 xt ,now that the software has be modified to suit windsurfing, kiting.
Looks to be a good replacement if it fits the criterier needed.
Cheers

Where did you find information that says it has been modified for windsurfing and Kiting? It looks like a dedicated swimming watch to me...

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
25 May 2015 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Manfred tells me there is a new Beta version of GPS-logit for android that can do live uploads to websites, maybe KA72! That is very interesting stuff because it means there is potential there to update results for events like the Defi or the Barrum Heads etc as they happen. Manfred is seeking as much feedback as possible on the performance and accuracy of the app in different Phones. Email your findings to info@gps-speed.com

jamesf
NSW, 991 posts
25 May 2015 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the link to download GPSLogit - up to version 1.11 now

www.gps-speed.com/gpslogit.html

I have installed in on a $49 Sony Experia E1 and the app seems to work well but haven't used it on the water yet.

www.dicksmith.com.au/prepaid-mobile-phones/optus-sony-xperia-e1-pre-paid-dsau-em5286

The 920XT Garmin watch looks nice and solid, but $549 price tag put me off. The Vivoactive one is cheaper but doesn't do 1sec logging.

monaro
QLD, 105 posts
25 May 2015 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Sailquik the info I was looking at was posted in the gps and speed talk thread under
Garmin 92oxt windsurfing activity.
Fin 151 has done the mods by the sound of it.
Cheers

monaro
QLD, 105 posts
25 May 2015 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

GPS Speedsurfing site has Garmin Forerunner as one of the allowed devices on their GPS Device List.
I assume that makes it acceptable to use here in Aus.?

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
25 May 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

jamesf said..
Here is the link to download GPSLogit - up to version 1.11 now

www.gps-speed.com/gpslogit.html

I have installed in on a $49 Sony Experia E1 and the app seems to work well but haven't used it on the water yet.

www.dicksmith.com.au/prepaid-mobile-phones/optus-sony-xperia-e1-pre-paid-dsau-em5286

The 920XT Garmin watch looks nice and solid, but $549 price tag put me off. The Vivoactive one is cheaper but doesn't do 1sec logging.

That's very interesting!!! I've just checked it's specs and it says.

A-GPS, GLONASS

under GPS, never heard of Glonass before, checking reveals it's the russian alternative to gps.
This seems to say it's using both????

jamesf
NSW, 991 posts
25 May 2015 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Yes GLONASS is the Russian system, GPS is the American one.

I ran a test sitting outside and it was picking up 15 satellites, so I guess that means it was using both systems. I have emailed Manfred about the screen getting cut off at the bottom on low-res phones like this one.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
26 May 2015 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Took my new Canmore for a drive with my GT 11.
I had thought the GT 11 was pretty good positionally but on the roads it clearly continues beyond the point where you change direction which must affect the validity of alpha results. The Canmore was consistently better in this regard and followed the driven track much more closely. This seems to mirror the experience Mike had with his trials when comparing the Canmore ,GW52 and GT31.

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
26 May 2015 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the Canmore's multi system works well then, did you drop below 10kts around that rounabout?

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
27 May 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yoyo said..
Took my new Canmore for a drive with my GT 11.
I had thought the GT 11 was pretty good positionally but on the roads it clearly continues beyond the point where you change direction which must affect the validity of alpha results. The Canmore was consistently better in this regard and followed the driven track much more closely. This seems to mirror the experience Mike had with his trials when comparing the Canmore ,GW52 and GT31.

As I attempted to point out before: The offset error of the positioning should have no effect on alphas unless it changes drastically during the run, which is quite unlikely.

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
27 May 2015 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

From the GPS-Speedsurfing Facebook page:

Short update about the Thingsee One... Last week we received a new beta device, the hardware is almost 100% equal to the production build and we already see some improvements have been made on the design based on our feedback.
We have loaded the GP3S software that we have developed on the new device without any problems, so that's very good news. We are now in the final phase of software development for the first release, this will cover the core functionality of the GT-31 and high-frequency .UBX logging. We expect to do the first "wet" test in a few days now...
After that we will start the official procedure to approve the Thingsee for GPS-Speedsurfing.com, this will be done by an independent authority.
Depending on the final shipment from Thingsee we expect the first delivery at the end of June or probably the first weeks of July, we keep you posted !

Roo
781 posts
27 May 2015 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Manfred's latest version of GPSLogit 1.2 works brilliantly. The voice readout of the speed and maximum for the leg you have completed makes a huge difference. I play it over a mix of 80's Aussie hits I have loaded on the phone. It starts giving the speed once you hit the speed threshold set in the app, I use 25 knots. With some great tunes playing through the headphones and the speed readout it makes it easy to adjust your course and bring up the speed. It also tracks the best 5 x 10 secs and has a readout on the screen.

Roo

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
27 May 2015 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Roo. The audio voice feedback is a fantastic feature. Now I will have to get an Android phone to have it!

decrepit
WA, 12062 posts
27 May 2015 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

So maybe a GW52 on the head for verifable 5hz data and an android phone for instantaneous feed back.

Just wondering, Optus have a sony $30 prepaid for $49. I guess you need to spend the first $30, but then what happens if you don't recharge at the end of the month?

I like the Vodafone $30 for 365 days, it cost more if you use the allowance quickly, but this phone would only be used for emergency calls. I think the sony is available for around $100, and at that price I'd trust it to just a Paqua without ziplock bag, that way it may be readable if it can be shaded.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Alternative to the GT-31" started by Tony Polony