Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+

Created by boardsurfr > 9 months ago, 16 Jul 2014
fangman
WA, 1596 posts
20 Oct 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Well that would certainly make sense. In my case, Canmores own software program will not clear the memory - that's seems to be a bit odd, or is it a monumental oversight? More likely something I have done methinks.

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
20 Oct 2014 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
Well that would certainly make sense. In my case, Canmores own software program will not clear the memory - that's seems to be a bit odd, or is it a monumental oversight? More likely something I have done methinks.

If your saying you have the canmore connected to you computer and using the canmore software installed in your computer. Then what I'm saying is empty the general computer trash from computer desktop

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
21 Oct 2014 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

so what are your thoughts guys on gt-31 vs canmore . After all this testing is it a worthy replacement for the gt-31 which is impossible to get ?

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
21 Oct 2014 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..
so what are your thoughts guys on gt-31 vs canmore . After all this testing is it a worthy replacement for the gt-31 which is impossible to get ?

IMHO as a result of 4 months or so of 'testing' :
Pros: very small,inexpensive, reasonably accurate,light,data logger. It's tiny size enables it to be mounted on your helmet easily -> nice clean signal always. Using Seaskips Kmart camera case idea,gives a very neat and durable/ waterproof mounting system. Batterylife ok, and memory ok. Functions as a flash memory drive via USB so easy to use on Mac or Windoze coupled with GPSResults or Ka72.
Cons: almost pointless display for on water review.( the downside of its tiny size is its tiny display that is too busy with data - it would be fine if just one data output was displayed at one time) IPX6 water resistance maybe optimistic. Units of measurement are metric, so when you do have a look at the screen with a magnifying glass you then have to do the rough conversions in your head to figure out your approximate numbers; and as a corollary to that, no on board firmware to enable analysis of all GPSTC fields.(max speed, average speed and distance only). After sales service??
Conclusion - if mine dies I will get another one, but will I seriously reconsider whenever Roo or Crwper or Locosys or whoever come up with a dedicated replacement for the GT31. If you want a datalogger, I would recommend because of its size and convenience and ease of mounting. If you want a speed genie function or want to review speeds on water, don't get one.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
21 Oct 2014 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Well elucidated Fangy.

PS - I had to look up the meaning of corollary - I was expecting pictures of 1980 cars but there's no "corollation"[sic]

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
21 Oct 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..
- I was expecting pictures of 1980 cars but there's no "corollation"[sic]

oh groan...( not even your kids would give you a pass mark on that one)

Stretchy
WA, 943 posts
21 Oct 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

dusta said..

IMHO as a result of 4 months or so of 'testing' :
Pros: very small,inexpensive, reasonably accurate,light,data logger. It's tiny size enables it to be mounted on your helmet easily -> nice clean signal always. Using Seaskips Kmart camera case idea,gives a very neat and durable/ waterproof mounting system. Batterylife ok, and memory ok. Functions as a flash memory drive via USB so easy to use on Mac or Windoze coupled with GPSResults or Ka72.
Cons: almost pointless display for on water review.( the downside of its tiny size is its tiny display that is too busy with data - it would be fine if just one data output was displayed at one time) IPX6 water resistance maybe optimistic. Units of measurement are metric, so when you do have a look at the screen with a magnifying glass you then have to do the rough conversions in your head to figure out your approximate numbers; and as a corollary to that, no on board firmware to enable analysis of all GPSTC fields.(max speed, average speed and distance only). After sales service??
Conclusion - if mine dies I will get another one, but will I seriously reconsider whenever Roo or Crwper or Locosys or whoever come up with a dedicated replacement for the GT31. If you want a datalogger, I would recommend because of its size and convenience and ease of mounting. If you want a speed genie function or want to review speeds on water, don't get one.

I quite like the sound of this. I presume it's accuracy would still be as good or better then my evil trackpoint gpsmap62. I'm not to fussed about knowing my numbers out on the water, I quite like the adventure of getting the stats when II upload to KA72. So when you say it won't do all the GPSTC fields, do you mean on the device? - can they still be obtained on ka72? Is this device accepted by GPSTC?
Sorry for all the questions

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

hey Stretch, all the fields for GPSTC ARE available when you upload the file to ka72. ( the unit writes them as a.fit file and Dylan @ka72 has modified the program to allow .fit files to be uploaded and analysed )
On water, or even in the carpark après sail, you can only get distance and max speed (in kms) and average speed off the unit directly.
The unit appears to be accurate but I dont know whether it has been accepted for use by GPSTC committee - can someone help me out here?

Stretchy
WA, 943 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
hey Stretch, all the fields for GPSTC ARE available when you upload the file to ka72. ( the unit writes them as a.fit file and Dylan @ka72 has modified the program to allow .fit files to be uploaded and analysed )
On water, or even in the carpark après sail, you can only get distance and max speed (in kms) and average speed off the unit directly.
The unit appears to be accurate but I dont know whether it has been accepted for use by GPSTC committee - can someone help me out here?

Thanks Fangman. Bugger it, I bought one anyway. Hell, it's only $73 on EBay and I can use it on my mountain bike as well
Im tight, real tight, so it's good to spend less on a gps then on my board. This passes that criterion....just!

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
21 Oct 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
>>>>

Daffy is the "technical advisor" and he seemed all in favour as it's accuracy seems to be as good as the GT31. I see no problems using it, but there hasn't been any discussion by the advisory committee.

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
21 Oct 2014 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stretchy said..

Thanks Fangman. Bugger it, I bought one anyway. Hell, it's only $73 on EBay and I can use it on my mountain bike as well....

Actually the onboard firmware for biking actually looks pretty good

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
22 Oct 2014 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

I have not tested one personally, but reports from those who have are very good, considering its limitations. The Canmore can't give accuracy information. In that respect it is similar to the older Garmin Fortrex and Geko we used to use and still allow. It's advantage is that it records Doppler based speeds and is therefore inherently, potentially much more accurate than the old Garmin models.

If you are limited by funds and just want something to give you some fun numbers at the end of your session, I see no reason at this time why it should not be allowed for the GPSTC. Just be aware that technically, speed accuracy can not be verified in the way it can be with the GT-31 and you may need to keep a good eye on the shape of speed graphs to spot and eliminate error spikes.

Stretchy
WA, 943 posts
22 Oct 2014 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
I have not tested one personally, but reports from those who have are very good, considering its limitations. The Canmore can't give accuracy information. In that respect it is similar to the older Garmin Fortrex and Geko we used to use and still allow. It's advantage is that it records Doppler based speeds and is therefore inherently, potentially much more accurate than the old Garmin models.

If you are limited by funds and just want something to give you some fun numbers at the end of your session, I see no reason at this time why it should not be allowed for the GPSTC. Just be aware that technically, speed accuracy can not be verified in the way it can be with the GT-31 and you may need to keep a good eye on the shape of speed graphs to spot and eliminate error spikes.

That sounds like me, I'm only in it for fun.
Sure would like to crack 40 though

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
26 Oct 2014 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Wrist watch waterproof case for Canmore ?
Anybody spot one ? I use GP-102+ recently and love it but the aqupac is completely unsuited- too big and slipping of the arm ( when you dont have wetsuit - as we) .
I imagine small clear plastic wrist watch type case will be ideal....

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
26 Oct 2014 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Macro, I've been thinking of another system to keep our devices waterproof.

You will need to test it for me though :-)

Like you I find the paqua/aqua bags bulky.

How about using those battery operated handheld food sealers ? Once ready to go on the water, turn the device on, put it in a small bag, seal it, shove it in a decent sport/phone armband and voila !

Doesn't need to be vacuum'ed like in the video

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
26 Oct 2014 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
Hi Macro, I've been thinking of another system to keep our devices waterproof.

You will need to test it for me though :-)

Like you I find the paqua/aqua bags bulky.

How about using those battery operated handheld food sealers ? Once ready to go on the water, turn the device on, put it in a small bag, seal it, shove it in a decent sport/phone armband and voila !

Doesn't need to be vacuum'ed like in the video

You see, If we only have bluetooth or similar and wireless recharging this devices could be made completetly waterproof ( like your tooth brush) in first place without need for USB port.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
26 Oct 2014 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

induction recharging !!

but never the less what do you think of my idea ?

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
26 Oct 2014 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
induction recharging !!

but never the less what do you think of my idea ?

That is even better what I do now. After one year of constant using , my aqua pack is leaking water terribly, so I put GPS always into small plastic bag, rubber bend of end. Then to aqua pac.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
26 Oct 2014 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Here is interesting experiment I did today - carrying two GPS our popular GT31 and new one Canmore 102+ almost identical ,

PKenny
SA, 239 posts
30 Oct 2014 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

With me being tech savvy enough to be dangerous on a computer. Could somebody please post the easy to follow steps to get my information from my Canmore GP102 onto my Mac and beyond?

Thanks in advance PK

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
30 Oct 2014 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PKenny said..
With me being tech savvy enough to be dangerous on a computer. Could somebody please post the easy to follow steps to get my information from my Canmore GP102 onto my Mac and beyond?

Thanks in advance PK

Hey PKenny, on a mac, plug in Canmore unit via mini usb cable to keyboard outlet or back of the computer, turn on the Canmore unit and let it boot up for 10 secs or so, then go to Finder, scroll down to Devices and "Canmore" should show. Double click on Canmore which will then show the files. Click on GP 102, then Activities and then you will get a file something like '001.fit'. This is the file you upload to Ka72 or into your GPS software. Hope this helps.

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
30 Oct 2014 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

PKenny said..

Thanks in advance PK

Hey PKenny, on a mac, plug in Canmore unit via mini usb cable to keyboard outlet or back of the computer, turn on the Canmore unit and let it boot up for 10 secs or so, then go to Finder, scroll down to Devices and "Canmore" should show. Double click on Canmore which will then show the files. Click on GP 102, then Activities and then you will get a file something like '001.fit'. This is the file you upload to Ka72 or into your GPS software. Hope this helps.

And just as a follow on. When the Canmore is full it will not write anymore files, so you have to empty the memory. This may require getting access to the hidden files on the unit.

It is a two step process to empty the memory and a bit of a pain in the arse the first time you do it.

Firstly trash all the .fit files in the Activities folder on the Canmore. What happens is these files are moved to the hidden folder on your Canmore called .Trashes, but you will find that the memory is still all full.
It maybe that the you can then write new files once this step is done - Perhaps someone has tried and can let us know? And if so then the job is done

But if not then:

The second step is to empty the .Trashes folder. This is done by simply dragging it to trash as well.

However Macs do not default to showing hidden files so you have do this this little routine:

Viewing hidden files on a Mac is useful for accessing the hidden UNIX directories or for recovering Music from an iPod.
To view hidden folders:

Open the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/)
At the command prompt type

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

Press return to execute the command.

(Sometimes for the the changes to take effect, either log out then log back in again, or relaunch Finder )

To hide the hidden files again:

Open the Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false

then press return to execute the command.
Log out then back in again, or relaunch Finder (explained above).

PKenny
SA, 239 posts
30 Oct 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that. My daughter is taking the canmore for a run now as a tester.

PKenny
SA, 239 posts
1 Nov 2014 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

fangman said..

PKenny said..

Thanks in advance PK

And just as a follow on. When the Canmore is full it will not write anymore files, so you have to empty the memory. This may require getting access to the hidden files on the unit.

It is a two step process to empty the memory and a bit of a pain in the arse the first time you do it.

Firstly trash all the .fit files in the Activities folder on the Canmore. What happens is these files are moved to the hidden folder on your Canmore called .Trashes, but you will find that the memory is still all full.
It maybe that the you can then write new files once this step is done - Perhaps someone has tried and can let us know? And if so then the job is done

But if not then:

The second step is to empty the .Trashes folder. This is done by simply dragging it to trash as well.

However Macs do not default to showing hidden files so you have do this this little routine:

Viewing hidden files on a Mac is useful for accessing the hidden UNIX directories or for recovering Music from an iPod.
To view hidden folders:

(Sometimes for the the changes to take effect, either log out then log back in again, or relaunch Finder )

Open the Terminal

I just tried the same method I use for deleting file off a USB/hardrive/memory card and its seemed to work.
Firstly move unwanted items to Trash and then empty the Mac's Trash while the memory device is attached. It seems to have worked at this stage. Capacity and available memory are the same figure.

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
1 Nov 2014 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PKenny said..

fangman said..

fangman said..

PKenny said..

Thanks in advance PK

But if not then:

To view hidden folders:

Open the Terminal

I just tried the same method I use for deleting file off a USB/hardrive/memory card and its seemed to work.
Firstly move unwanted items to Trash and then empty the Mac's Trash while the memory device is attached. It seems to have worked at this stage. Capacity and available memory are the same figure.

That seems a much better solution. I will try that in future. Thanks for that PK

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
1 Nov 2014 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
>>>

That seems a much better solution. I will try that in future. Thanks for that PK

Isn't that exactly what I tried to tell you a while back?????
Or aren't I making myself clear?

Select to expand quote

fangman said.. Well that would certainly make sense. In my case, Canmores own software program will not clear the memory - that's seems to be a bit odd, or is it a monumental oversight? More likely something I have done methinks.

Select to expand quote
decrepit said
If your saying you have the canmore connected to you computer and using the canmore software installed in your computer. Then what I'm saying is empty the general computer trash from computer desktop

hmmm -- seems clear enough to me, what did I do wrong?

fangman
WA, 1596 posts
1 Nov 2014 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

fangman said..
>>>

Isn't that exactly what I tried to tell you a while back?????
Or aren't I making myself clear?

fangman said.. Well that would certainly make sense. In my case, Canmores own software program will not clear the memory - that's seems to be a bit odd, or is it a monumental oversight? More likely something I have done methinks.

decrepit said

hmmm -- seems clear enough to me, what did I do wrong?

Decrepit you know my default setting is not to listen to anything from you Yes sorry my bad, I obviously let that one go through to the keeper without offering a shot....but it was almost two weeks ago, what chance did I have of remembering that?

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
1 Nov 2014 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
>>>

Decrepit you know my default setting is not to listen to anything from you
>>>

Well I suspected that, but didn't want to mention it.

PKenny
SA, 239 posts
7 Nov 2014 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

fangman said..

PKenny said..

Thanks in advance PK

But if not then:

To view hidden folders:

Open the Terminal

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

PKenny said..

Thanks in advance PK

Select to expand quote
PKenny said..
Thanks for that. My daughter is taking the canmore for a run now as a tester.

That was really easy to use once I got my act together and stopped logging every km I did in the car and turn up at the beach with Canmore charged.
Serial Number: User Name: ActivityDevice: Development.0..fit
Development.0..fitAll results are Doppler.Session Date:11/7/2014Number of Points:3371Location: (Suggest Another Name)Coffin Bay, SA, AUApprox Timezone:92 Second Peak (kts):16.685x10 Average (kts):15.18Top 5 5x10 speeds:16.27Top 5 5x10 speeds:15.87Top 5 5x10 speeds:15.28Top 5 5x10 speeds:14.58Top 5 5x10 speeds:13.891 Hr (kts):0Alpha 500 (kts):6.43Nautical Mile (kts):7.22100m peak (kts):16.05Total Distance (km):5.56
Results Link (to revisit this page): Google Earth Overlay

It wasn't a terrific sail 10-15kts Nth for about 1/2hr then dropped to nothing. Sure beats working and it was good to see how this thing works.

Thanks again for the tech help.

jarekg
2 posts
11 Nov 2014 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi I am quite new on this forum but topic of GPS measuring is hot for me - I found another interesting alternative for GT-31 unit from VELOCITEK. In fact they offer pro sailing machines on their website, there is good real time demo for these units as well and they are full waterproof + optimised for real time speed and position monitoring - definitely it is interesting and worth to check:

www.velocitek.com/

1. prostart - unit optimised for start time countdown and the GPS monitoring

Technical SpecificationsSpeed Accuracy: ±0.2 KnotsHeading Resolution: 1°Display Update Rate: 2Hz (twice a second)Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)Display: 30mm / 1.18” digit height 120° viewing coneData Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded every 2 seconds, 30hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X and WindowsBatteries: 3 x AA, 20+ hr endurance, rechargeable or disposableDimensions: 120mm x 175mm x 40mm / 4.72” x 6.89” x 1.57”Weight Including Batteries: 448g / 0.99lbBracket Compatibility: Velocitek ProStart Mast Bracket or any Tacktick Micro Compass bracket.GPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-5MWarranty: Two years

2. speed puck - looks like it is good for speed surfers, too

Speed Accuracy: ±0.2 KnotsHeading Resolution: 1°Display Update Rate: 2Hz (twice a second)Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)Display: 27mm / 1.06” digit height 120 degree viewing coneData Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded every 2 seconds, 20hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X and WindowsData download requires Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6.Batteries: 3 x AA, 20+ hour endurance, rechargeable or disposableDimensions: 115mm / 4.5" diameter, 27mm / 1.06" thick.Weight Including Batteries: 295g / 0.65lbGPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-4AWarranty: Two years

your opinion?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+" started by boardsurfr