Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Flat water sometimes means too shallow!

Created by MartinF2 > 9 months ago, 25 Apr 2016
MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
25 Apr 2016 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Ok so I rigged for some some shallower water and more wind in mind at Viccy Point but in the end I paid the price of finding that flat water after an hour waiting that was simply too shallow to work with. Lesson learned. I was cranking upwind at 28knots and looked around (unlike kiters) to commence my gybe when I heard the fin make contact and then I was thrown. Here is a video of what not to do.
Cheers
Marty

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
25 Apr 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Holy Cow Marty, lucky you didn't break your neck.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
25 Apr 2016 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Adam. Silly mistake chasing flat water. Should have known better. Lucky not to bust my gear as well. Still don't know what I hit my foot on. It wasn't in the strap upon launch.
Cheers
Marty

elmo
WA, 8734 posts
25 Apr 2016 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one, glad you're ok, bet you're glad you unhooked just in time

Trousers
SA, 565 posts
26 Apr 2016 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, you timed that unhook perfectly...two seconds later would have been a very different outcome! Lucky!

AusMoz
QLD, 1453 posts
26 Apr 2016 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Marty

We had out fair share of finding the sandbanks at Caloundra over the weekend!

Great shortened speed sailing but the shallows came up too quick and most of us found them!

Dezza
NSW, 930 posts
26 Apr 2016 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Not even up to your ankles deep ouch

WaynoB
NSW, 393 posts
26 Apr 2016 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Glad you were not hurt in the crash, looked sweet till then. Lucky man.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
26 Apr 2016 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yep. Glad to see you are OK. Many of us can relate to that all too painfully!

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
26 Apr 2016 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys. Although today bad things have started happening to my foot............

tilldark
QLD, 275 posts
27 Apr 2016 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Wow martin scary! Hey ive had similar marks on my ankles from hitting the mast/sail on the way through. Especially if theres swelling. Glad your not in a neck brace mate

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
27 Apr 2016 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

So lucky you unhooked. Glad your OK. That could have been really nasty!

I did the exact same thing a few days ago. Just unhooked at the end of a speed run and bam! I cartwheeled in 6 inches of water, first impact was the side of my head and my neck made a horrible cracking sound then landed on my shoulder, finished in a sitting position. Thankfully all good after a day of headaches and dull pain. I'm going to be much more careful around shallow water. Thanks for the reminder.

decrepit
WA, 12191 posts
27 Apr 2016 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the internal bruising coming out, that should disappear in a week or two

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
27 Apr 2016 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys. I've no idea as to what I hit. This was my back foot I had just removed from the rear strap to gybe so it wasn't the strap ejection that did it. Either it wacked the board, sail/mast or the ground once tumbling. Only the bridge of my foot hurt initially. Anyway enough rambling as it was more educational to say be careful out there.
Cheers
Marty

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
30 Apr 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I live by the maxim "Just because it's wet, doesn't mean it's deep".

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Flat water sometimes means too shallow!" started by MartinF2