Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

How Good is Frenchmans Bay Albany -Drone footage from DEC 2018

Created by Cam Mcleod > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2019
Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
8 Jan 2019 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Still working on uploading the drone video footage-any technical tips would be welcome ...!!Posted successfully to my facebook page .Thanks to son Al for photos/footage .

decrepit
WA, 12162 posts
8 Jan 2019 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Great shots of Lilacs Cam, looks like you had it all to yourself.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
8 Jan 2019 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

About time Cam
The last one is a ripper

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
9 Jan 2019 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Here you go Cam.

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
9 Jan 2019 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Daffy -just posted it to youtube as well ...

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
9 Jan 2019 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Just magic Cam

Well done Quick, I tried looking for it but came up blank

morts
WA, 181 posts
9 Jan 2019 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Great footage Cam & thanks for the youtube post Daffy

Hoping to get out after lunch today. Looks a bit similar except there is none of that blue stuff up the top.

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
9 Jan 2019 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

The video captures the magic of Lilacs Albany, brilliant work Al and Cam The only thing thats missing is the feeling that comes with it, for that you need to go and experience it!!!

Hey what about a Comp there?

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
9 Jan 2019 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Looks magic. I wish good conditions there would align with my days off.
I keep looking but it hasn't happened yet

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
9 Jan 2019 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Wow! That must be a wicked sensation fangin on such super glassy water.

Tardy
5026 posts
9 Jan 2019 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

magic ...but too short .

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
9 Jan 2019 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome vid of that spot
alnost as smooth as the swan river!
....on foil of course

GazMan
WA, 840 posts
9 Jan 2019 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Wow! That must be a wicked sensation fangin on such super glassy water.

It was also super weedy too!!!

Roo
782 posts
10 Jan 2019 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

What an amazing place and incredible footage. Every time I watch it I start to twitch...feelin' the need. May have to do a mission out west starting at Penghu, then Shark Bay and finally Lilacs. Wonder how much to charter a C130 Hercules to fly me and a camper van full of gear around....no point doing it rough.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8021 posts
10 Jan 2019 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Wow..Wish it was closer.I'd love to sail that..

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
10 Jan 2019 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..
Wow..Wish it was closer.I'd love to sail that..

Sue you're closer than Cam

decrepit
WA, 12162 posts
10 Jan 2019 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Comparing it to Lake George and Fangys there's not a lot in it. All 3 can have that huge area of oily smooth water, especially in lighter wind.
LG has a bigger area and works in more wind directions, with more frequent wind than lilacs.
Lilacs has a better NM run if the tide isn't too low, and the weed is very consistent, I haven't seen any change in the last 5 years. It's also the most abrasive of anywhere I've sailed, fin leading edges need to be sanded after every session, (unless they are stainless or Alli)
Fangys , wind is more frequent than Lilacs, but not as strong as LG, and can also have an excellent NM run, But weed varies through the seasons, so the oily smooth is more a spring early summer thing.

I don't know the other Eastern States venues of weedy goodness.

ka43
NSW, 3075 posts
10 Jan 2019 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Contrary to what you have heard, Budgewoi is crap. Choppy as, deep, cold, terrible currents and tide fluctuations.
Rocks and sand to rig on. Dont bother!!!

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8021 posts
10 Jan 2019 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka43 said..
Contrary to what you have heard, Budgewoi is crap. Choppy as, deep, cold, terrible currents and tide fluctuations.
Rocks and sand to rig on. Dont bother!!!

Budgy doesn't get decent wind very often.. and it's hard to get a nm ( or at least I find it hard to get one with consistent wind..)

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
10 Jan 2019 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roo said..
What an amazing place and incredible footage. Every time I watch it I start to twitch...feelin' the need. May have to do a mission out west starting at Penghu, then Shark Bay and finally Lilacs. Wonder how much to charter a C130 Hercules to fly me and a camper van full of gear around....no point doing it rough.

Roo ya gonna skip Liptons & Fangies which I'd put my money on for accessibility and consistency?

Roo
782 posts
10 Jan 2019 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Can't say they interest me that much, Lilacs just looks incredible. Amazing location and scenery and no people or crowds....same with Shark Bay. All the footage I've seen from Lilacs has been mesmerising, it's a gem. It's also nice it's fresh ocean water that gets flushed with the tide. Same with Shark Bay, I'm amazed so few people go up there on a regular basis, I keep looking out for postings from there on GPSTC. Also looking at Useless Loop on Google Maps, must be some great spots near there as well.

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
10 Jan 2019 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Tides Tides and Tides, Lilacs is most magic Feb March this is when winds and tides are best, thats a couple of weeks for just 2 months a year, but yes Nov to April it's sailable. Shark Bay is also about tides, for mere mortals like me, tides are best/ideal once/twice a fortnight, but yes sailable everyday. I was there last easter wind blew 25 to 30kts everyday but tides were wrong. On 2 days, I swallowed a massive cement tablet and went for it in the wild chop (higher water, wind against tide) In the strong gusts it felt like I was doing 40kts plus, only to see my best speeds in the low 34's. The reason you dont see that many posts from there it's a 20+ hr return drive to Shark Bay, in a harsh environment with limited facilities, and if tides arent right its brutal.

Roo
782 posts
10 Jan 2019 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hardie said..
I was there last easter wind blew 25 to 30kts everyday but tides were wrong. On 2 days, I swallowed a massive cement tablet and went for it in the wild chop (higher water, wind against tide) In the strong gusts it felt like I was doing 40kts plus, only to see my best speeds in the low 34's.

The Gorge is like that from March to November Hardie, wind against river current, crazy manic chop from all directions and huge swells in places. Makes Shark Bay sound easy and just like here. I can bring the same gear I use on the river. We've got no place like Lilacs, that's pure butter.

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
10 Jan 2019 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roo said..

hardie said..
I was there last easter wind blew 25 to 30kts everyday but tides were wrong. On 2 days, I swallowed a massive cement tablet and went for it in the wild chop (higher water, wind against tide) In the strong gusts it felt like I was doing 40kts plus, only to see my best speeds in the low 34's.

The Gorge is like that from March to November Hardie, wind against river current, crazy manic chop from all directions and huge swells in places. Makes Shark Bay sound easy and just like here. I can bring the same gear I use on the river. We've got no place like Lilacs, that's pure butter.

Lilacs is best Feb/March 2km NM run works then, if you ever plan a trip, be guaranteed still good winds for Shark Bay at that time of year also

Stretchy
WA, 943 posts
10 Jan 2019 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Great vid

Adriano
11206 posts
11 Jan 2019 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"How Good is Frenchmans Bay Albany -Drone footage from DEC 2018" started by Cam Mcleod