Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lilacs sessions 20/3/14 to 24/3/14?

Created by decrepit > 9 months ago, 22 Mar 2014
decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
22 Mar 2014 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Detoured to Albany on our trip home from Lake George, due to a great forecast for Lilacs.
Had 2 great days with Hardie and evets, but just had to get home so left there this morning.
Tomski and Dale arrived last night and have had 2 great sessions.
More CST members arrived today.
Several PBs already, especially from CST, well done guys, more to come.
gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2014-03-22&team=105

Here's a couple of out takes from some videos I took yesterday just down the road from Lilacs cottages.

Tomski, not sure if this was part of his hour, but he didn't stop while I was watching.

Hardie doing his Alpha thing.

Please note these are taken with a long lens, the backgrounds in both pics are easy a kilometre away, no where near as close as it looks.

Looks like more good stuff to come, so anybody there scoring, please feel free to brag on here!

evets
WA, 685 posts
23 Mar 2014 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

It is horrible, no wind, choppy and raining all of the time (and I may not be able to park due to all of the itinerants!)
Elmo, Fangman and yoyo just arrived, Speedgirl and salty nuts plus Mitch and rod and Binny already rigged.

AKB
WA, 12 posts
23 Mar 2014 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

You guys must have done well this arvo the wind was smoking!

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
23 Mar 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AKB said..

You guys must have done well this arvo the wind was smoking!

Waiting with baited breath for the posts to appear, there are already 2 PBs.
Starting to come in now, we're up to 10.

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
23 Mar 2014 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Downloaded some vid editing software so I can edit the clips. Found I had Crasher as well.

stroppo
WA, 728 posts
23 Mar 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Super pics Mike what a great spot!

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
24 Mar 2014 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

You can tell that's flat water - no knee bend in the gybes - looks like they're just standing up and posing for the photo while the board goes round!

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
24 Mar 2014 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evets said..
It is horrible, no wind, choppy and raining all of the time (and I may not be able to park due to all of the itinerants!)

Elmo, Fangman and yoyo just arrived, Speedgirl and salty nuts plus Mitch and rod and Binny already rigged.

And cold, don't forget cold!

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
24 Mar 2014 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

OK just done the count,
that's 2 PBs Friday,
6 PBs Sat.
and 11 Sunday
Total 19Pbs in 3 days sailing, and it wasn't even at it's best. What a spot!

Special mention has to go to Speed Girl, made herself #3 all time women's International GTC sailor. Not bad when she's only been speed sailing about a year.

AKB
WA, 12 posts
24 Mar 2014 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

A consistant 30kn day and you guys should blitz it!
Well Done!

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
24 Mar 2014 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

OK just done the count,
that's 2 PBs Friday,
6 PBs Sat.
and 11 Sunday
Total 19Pbs in 3 days sailing, and it wasn't even at it's best. What a spot!

Special mention has to go to Speed Girl, made herself #3 all time women's International GTC sailor. Not bad when she's only been speed sailing about a year.

Girl Speed, Get her name right at least!

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
24 Mar 2014 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AKB said..

A consistant 30kn day and you guys should blitz it!
Well Done!

We're all waiting!!!!!
As you say, if and when it happens, everything could go off, especially if the tide is exactly right!

evets
WA, 685 posts
27 Mar 2014 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

It was a brilliant 4 days,
AKB have you seen 30 knot easterlies there in the last few years?

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
27 Mar 2014 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another pic, this time taken with the lens at 55mm, it's probably equivalent to about 1.5X zoom, so shows a more natural perspective. You can get a better idea of the scale of the place.

This is taken from the end of the run looking towards the start, you can just make out a sail somewhere near the start.

GazMan
WA, 840 posts
27 Mar 2014 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evets said..

It was a brilliant 4 days,
AKB have you seen 30 knot easterlies there in the last few years?

Not AKB but local know-it-all!

Only easterlies around 30 knots I remember were from NE and quite gusty so getting a consistent 30k easterly may be worth the wait! Can remember a windy period between Xmas and New Year around 5-6 years ago when there were a number of days with the easterlies getting over 30k. Would be interested to hear AKB's views on this, also suspect Cliff would have a bit to say about this subject if you asked him, since he has lived opposite the speed course for many years which has been his go-to-spot as long as I have known him.

PS Steve, up for a sail this Sat arvo near Amity?

AKB
WA, 12 posts
29 Mar 2014 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Ye Gazman its pretty rare to get easterlies over 30kn, haven't seen too many averages over that but gusts over 30 happen about 4 times a month thru the season. And yep generally NE when they do but have seen em straight east. Winds 25kn and above are more common with averages getting up to high 20's. Another thing to bare in mind is the density of the air. Colder air is denser and has more grunt, so a 25kn easterly down here is probably equivalent to a bit more than in Perth.
The weed bank at shoal bay gets pretty flat on the right tide and winds up to 40kn (SW) come thru over there.
Might be worth a try, I see most of the local windsurfers over there when its cranking.
Only problem is its gusty and cold.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lilacs sessions 20/3/14 to 24/3/14?" started by decrepit