Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Slalom "alpha 500"

Created by Macroscien > 9 months ago, 6 Aug 2019
Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
6 Aug 2019 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Watching PWA becoming now even more exciting thanks to droning technology,
From my talks to the best PWA riders I learned that they are reaching average/max 36-37 knots on straight on the chop.
But what about gybe?
We could not use our alpha 500m as racing is more likely down wind and they don't need to meet criteria of 50m entry/ exit distance.
So maybe there is similar algorithm to calculate Slalom 500M gybe?
For example 250 m before , during and 250 m after gybe? If not, how difficult will be for our genius Dylan to write such computation?

I could see already benefit of heaving such parameter. Some of PWA sailor are great on the straight, some others do better gybes.
Wins only one that combine those two.

BTW If we don't have a name for such parameter yet, we could call it " Macro500m" and ask PWA to introduce in racing.I hope that introducing 2s and Macro 500 to PWA slalom as additional category with additional rewards could be quite interesting for both public and sailors.It could be nice to arrive 10th but receive rewards for the best gybe in competition. Don't you think so ?

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
6 Aug 2019 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

GPSAR has some different alpha algorithms, I forget now if they are longer or wider.

powersloshin
NSW, 1683 posts
6 Aug 2019 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

in gpsResults you can calculate jibes up to 100 m wide

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
6 Aug 2019 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..

Good, so all we need is to get a hand of some logs from PWA racings.
Too see how good guys are doing their gybes.
I wonder what is the technique most efficient for their racing gybe.I may be some compromise between max speed and safety.How much different technique to GPS alpha done by our sailors here hitting/doing 27kts alpha?

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
6 Aug 2019 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

I am guessing that thier/PWA riders Gybes 500m results may be around 24-25kts (?) Do our experienced sailors here have any more accurate assumption what is realistic AA gybe in those tremendous conditions at Fuerte ( vs second and third, fourth sailor) ?

That will be quite interesting topic to discuss difference in technique between GPS turn and PWA slalom.

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
6 Aug 2019 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..

powersloshin said..

I wonder what is the technique most efficient for their racing gybe.I may be some compromise between max speed and safety.How much different technique to GPS alpha done by our sailors here hitting/doing 27kts alpha?

From what I understand, PWA sailors guard their GPS data like the FBI guards those pics of J Edgar Hoover wearing a dress

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
6 Aug 2019 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boston! said..

Macroscien said..

powersloshin said..

From what I understand, PWA sailors guard their GPS data like the FBI guards those pics of J Edgar Hoover wearing a dress

OK then rules of PWA may change one day and data of every sailor in race will be streamed instantly to your TV screen.Eventually those races are made for public to enjoy not for the champions only.Like Americas Cup the make shop more and more exciting for those not specifically involve in marine and sailing.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
6 Aug 2019 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boston! said..

Macroscien said..

powersloshin said..

OK then rules of PWA may change one day and data of every sailor in race will be streamed instantly to your TV screen.Eventually those races are made for public to enjoy not for the champions only.Like Americas Cup the make shop more and more exciting for those not specifically involve in marine and sailing.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
11 Aug 2019 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Breathtaking view. That how it looks and feels when your board is going 50 kts

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Slalom "alpha 500"" started by Macroscien