Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Timing is everything

Created by sailquik > 9 months ago, 3 Aug 2009
sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
4 Aug 2009 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

One helluva storm front hit Southern Victoria this morning. The best of it was just a bit too early for the Pit, it was pre dawn but there were probably a few close to epic moments just after dawn before the tide started barreling in. Does not look like anyone was there to take advantage.... Ahh well.....

Goo Screw
VIC, 269 posts
4 Aug 2009 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think there would have been much of a chance left by day break as the tide should have been coming in by 4am.
Its good that these sort of fronts are coming through,the roof nearly got ripped off by a northerly last night and there is some more nastiness on the way

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
4 Aug 2009 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Goo Screw said...

I don't think there would have been much of a chance left by day break as the tide should have been coming in by 4am.
Its good that these sort of fronts are coming through,the roof nearly got ripped off by a northerly last night and there is some more nastiness on the way

Friday?

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
4 Aug 2009 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Friday

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
4 Aug 2009 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

On a similar vein. Karpathos seems a bit iffy from the comments of Chris and others. It's all about timing.

From GPS-SS

Day 1Difficult day for the first day of the world championships. Some great runs by some guys, and plenty of frustration for others including myself. The wind was different today than for the Greek championships earlier in the week, and it took me all day for that to click. I made the mistake of taking the lines that were working in the last contest. But today there was a lot less wind, especially near the beach. I blew up my arms after the first 2 runs of the first heat due to borrowing a new harness that didnt fit properly (my old one is tearing apart). The hook ended up too high for my line settings so I used my arms way too much. Also the 7m was a bit too big in the gusts. End result was rock hard forearms and no ability to hold on in the gusts. By the 3rd round the arms were going down so I was able to make a lot of runs. But none of them were very sucessful being completely underpowered and unable to break a cycle of 36.0s on the timing board- I must have done close to 10 in a row! The last 2 runs just before the course closed were a bit faster... but nothing special. Congrats to all the guys that were flying today!

Day 2 and still no joy with gusts. Its a total dice roll here. I watched the 2nd silver fleet today and saw 3 or 4 gusts come through that one or two people were able to capitalise on- all of them made the top 5. This morning I could barely hold up a sandwich. All due to the first round yesterday... but they came good during the day. First round I raced on the SP53 and 7.8m. Was in 3rd for the first half then some good gusts came through at the end and I watched my place dropping out the door. My last run was 10 seconds late to the start (the course closed) and was 1 knot faster on 10 sec than the next best... oh well. That was my gust but it came too late. The second round wasnt much better. Watched my ranking dropping all through the round unable to find wind at the start. Reeled off a string of 37s and a 38 but couldnt get the start. Going back upwind I saw some others get the lucky gust there. Maybe next rounds we will see some more random shuffles of positions. The guys who are on top are making the most of the conditions for sure. Its great to see some new faces in the mix! Jacques and I seem to be having a points battle. We were equal points this morning but neither of us know how we will do today since we were so close. I only did runs in the rounds to save my arms. I have to say the new sails are feeling really really good so I cant blame my gear :)

kato
VIC, 3404 posts
4 Aug 2009 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Friday

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
4 Aug 2009 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Friday

sailquik said...

Friday

kato said...

Friday

34knot SW.... rug up and hold on. Good luck to you all. I think Hardie run out of cups.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Timing is everything" started by sailquik