Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

2020/21 NSW Slalom and GPS Series

Created by GPSWindsurfing > 9 months ago, 26 Jul 2020
GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
26 Jul 2020 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Lock the dates in, book your accommodation and sharpen your fin's and foils.

On the back of a cracker Series last year that resulted in 18 races being conducted at 5 locations and a total of 32 entrants taking part, we have refined our locations for this season and will be conducting 3 x one day events (most favorable day of the weekend, decided Friday prior) and 2 x Weekends away at the magnificent Myall Lakes.

Series dates and locations as follows;

Heat 1 - 24th or 25th October, Koonawarra Bay (One day event)
Heat 2 - 14th or 15th November, Lake Macquarie TBA (One day event)
Heat 3 & State Slalom Titles - 4th, 5th and 6th December, Myall Lake (3 day event)
Heat 4 - 9th or 10th January, Shingle Splitters Point, Lake Macquarie (One day event)
Heat 5 - 27th and 28th February, Myall Lakes (Two day event)

The series is open to all and focuses on getting together, being social, sailing the same patch of water, testing your skills against yourself, your sailing buddy or your fiercest competitor, but ultimately improving your sailing ability.

The format for each event will vary with the emphasis being to maximising sailing time and quality racing across a variety of formats.

Formats proposed for this season include;

A. GPS freerace sessions being 30 minutes or 1 hour (furthest distance sailed).
B. GPS session with figure of 8 course being 30 minutes or 1 hour (furthest distance sailed).
B. GPS multi category sessions (ie nm, 2 sec, alpha) recorded as 3 separate results.
C. Downwind slalom fleet racing.
D. Figure of 8 slalom fleet racing (short and long course).

The series is open to a wide variety of equipment including slalom boards with fin to maximum width of 85cm and foil boards used with foils to a maximum width of 105cm

Minimum wind limit of 12knts is applied at the discretion of the sailing committee with the intent to have everybody on the plane or foil for racing. With the recent developments in foils and competencies increasing the use of foils is likely to be more common place this season into the higher wind limits, which should make this season very interesting. Should conditions be inconsistent with the minimum requirements for "Series racing" informal foil racing may take place from time to time to get people on the water.

Once again we thank last seasons sponsors Kite and Sup Foil Board Sports, Duotone, Ion and Fanatic for there support and our Volunteers who we could not conduct such a quality Series without.

Accommodation for Myall Lakes is filling up fast so book now and be sure to mention you are part of the windsurfing to receive 10% discount (equal to NRMA membership discount), sites and cabins are currently on hold for us but will be released shortly.

www.nrmaparksandresorts.com.au/myall-shores/

Our website will be updated in the coming weeks with Series entry, Notice of Race and other pertinent information so stay tuned.
www.gpswindsurfing.com.au

Looking forward to a great season ahead and plenty of racing!

Boston!
NSW, 249 posts
27 Jul 2020 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Bring it on!

Tinlyds
NSW, 216 posts
17 Oct 2020 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

With so many foilers I hope you can run a foil only class at Myall for the slalom

Dezza
NSW, 928 posts
17 Oct 2020 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Haaaang on, you've already got your own NSW foil series for foil only racing

Tinlyds
NSW, 216 posts
17 Oct 2020 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dezza said..

That's different Dezza this is slalom that is course racing I only have a slalom foil, I'll let you have a go

AUS4
NSW, 1259 posts
17 Oct 2020 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tinlyds said..

Dezza said..

That's different Dezza this is slalom that is course racing I only have a slalom foil, I'll let you have a go

You won't sail anyway.

Tinlyds
NSW, 216 posts
18 Oct 2020 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

Tinlyds said..

Dezza said..

You won't sail anyway.

You would know !!!!!

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
18 Oct 2020 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Let the Games begin!

Registration is now open for the 2020/21 GPS/Slalom Series.

Please visit gpswindsurfing.com.au/ to register and for Notice of Race etc.

The Series is intended to be as inclusive as possible and cater for all equipment and ability levels within our great sport. The emphasis of the series is getting away to different locations, challenging yourself in the conditions on offer against a wide range of fellow competitors and most importantly have fun. (Please be advised The sheep station is not on offer this year).

Fin or foil, it's your choice! just come along and sail.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to thank our series sponsor once again for their continued support this year Kite&SUP/Foil Boardsports, www.foilboardsports.com.au.

Heat 1 this coming weekend 24th or 25th October 2020 at Koonawarra Bay Sailing Club on Lake Illawarra which is a great club and offers a fantastic body of water for all wind directions.

At this stage Sunday is looking the pick with a moderate to fresh Southerly on the long range forecast. Day to be determined and posted on Thursday 9:00pm 22nd 2020.

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
22 Oct 2020 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Heat 1 is all systems go for Sunday 25th October

With a great forecast of 15 - 25knts out of the south, this should provide exciting racing conditions all day.

It is intended to do a combination of GPS free-race sessions and also some longer course figure of 8 slalom, to maximise time on the water and minimise stuffing around.

Fin or Foil, your choice!

Hope to see a great turn out from the local speedsters and Sydneysiders to support this event in their own backyard. ie Mike Nelson, MT and the rest of the so called Illawarra Speedsters Team, show us what you've got.

Location - 1 Kanahooka Road, Kanahooka
Car & trailer parking as per picture;

Upon arrival at the club please COVID-19 register - it is easiest to use the QR code allocated to the club and displayed on a laminated sheet. Download the Services NSW app (before arriving) or use the QR scanner on your phone. If the QR code is beyond your skill, use the COVID sign-in sheet. The COVID registration station is at the entrance to the club, as indicated above. Whilst at the club please maintain normal social distancing.

The toilets "downstairs", have been out of action due to upgrade and maintenance work, so please use the upstairs toilets.
There is no food available at the club. The nearest food to buy is about 1 km away.

Registration: gpswindsurfing.com.au/ preferred or at the club 10:00 - 10:30 am.

Briefing : 11:00am

First possible race : 11:30am.

Note: sail numbers optional as long as you have a unique identification ie black duct tape on your sail, that will be fine.

Dezza
NSW, 928 posts
22 Oct 2020 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Forecast looks tops. Theres a few local speedsters on the injured bench, hopefully some can still get on the water on Sunday. There is also the new St George speed team who have trained hard at primbee all winter, they won't want to miss this event. And the Double Demerits team have been spotted at the lake over the winter. And a couple of Gustbuster's have been polishing up special secret fins. See you all on Sunday

nudie
NSW, 231 posts
23 Oct 2020 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, Guy's and Girl's, Would anyone of you that is coming down from Newcastle this weekend be able to take a sail for me to Merewether area or thereabouts? Cheers

Searoamer
NSW, 291 posts
23 Oct 2020 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Downstairs changerooms & showers now back in action

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
23 Oct 2020 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Breaking News!

The organising committee is delighted to confirm that none other than the multi tile winning and local legend Mike Nelson will be onsite and competing on Sunday.

This demonstrates the prestige of the event and raises the competition bar to the next level.

Mike will be signing autographs, sails or shirts prior to the days racing so get in early so your not disappointed.

Who will be the next big name to confirm attendance!

BTW Forecast looks epic!

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1491 posts
23 Oct 2020 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys am thinking of coming down to film with the drone. I've wanted to film a slalom race for ages. Not 100% at this stage but I'll try.

berowne
NSW, 1307 posts
24 Oct 2020 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Dutchman said..
Hey guys am thinking of coming down to film with the drone. I've wanted to film a slalom race for ages. Not 100% at this stage but I'll try.

That would be awesome!

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
24 Oct 2020 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Dutchman said..

I'll make sure I'm using my new sail

One goat Paul

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1491 posts
24 Oct 2020 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tony Wills said..

Flying Dutchman said..

I'll make sure I'm using my new sail

One goat Paul

Watch out for the rogue drone Tony!! Lol

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
24 Oct 2020 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Can all participants ensure their GPS device is set to Australian Time to assist with result calculations.

berowne
NSW, 1307 posts
26 Oct 2020 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Glen and Byron...

Do we need to send any GPS files or are you going to take them off ka72.com

Thanks for organising a great event. Shame about the temperature and lulls (although they suited me on the foil!). And big shout out to swimming Dutchman. Shame about your drone!

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1491 posts
26 Oct 2020 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
berowne said..
Hi Glen and Byron...

Thanks for organising a great event. Shame about the temperature and lulls (although they suited me on the foil!). And big shout out to swimming Dutchman. Shame about your drone!

Ha yeah... 2 drones in 3 weeks

bushfire
NSW, 354 posts
26 Oct 2020 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Some photos from yesterday - thanks to Peter Hands.

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
26 Oct 2020 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
berowne said..
Hi Glen and Byron...

That's correct Berowne

If everyone can just upload to KA72, I will collate and compile directly from there. Anyone who does not have an account, get one @

www.ka72.com/

Muz

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
26 Oct 2020 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Results 98% completed just trying to resolve issues with 2 files

Results posted tomorrow once resolved

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1491 posts
26 Oct 2020 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

A little from the event here.

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
27 Oct 2020 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Heat 1 Done and dusted

Challenging conditions for all that took part in what was well under the forecast, so don't feel bad all of you who stayed in bed, worried about 30knts, it didn't happen.

What did happen was a shifty SW - S of 8 - 20knts, which allowed us to conduct 1 x Slalom figure of 8 and 5 x category GPS results over about 2.5hr of total sailing time and about 15mm of rain.

Remi Duoyer was on fire and by far the fastest on the water 33.687knts on a 85 wide board and 8.4 sail, the kid is motoring.

Was great to see some new faces who we hope have got the bug and will follow the Series through all events.

Massive thanks to Glen for getting wet and making the event happen at his Club which is fantastic and we look forward to many more events from this location. Our condolences go to The Flying Dutchman, as mentioned earlier who lost his drone whilst attempting to promote our event and Series out of the goodness of his heart. Thanks also to Peter Hand for his continued support and interest around the Club and recent events.

It was also great to have the many locals turn up to have a look and say G'day on a pretty ugly day.

Any issues with results message gps windsurfing via seabreeze, as noted the file from Remi Roques was a bit dodgy and we will work with him to resolve the setting to improve the accuracy of his result at the next event.

Heat 2 Lake Macquarie 14th or 15th of November, where we hope to lots of Lake Mac locals, Central Coast and Sydneysider's attend.

remi
NSW, 13 posts
28 Oct 2020 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you all for the organisation. I had a lot of fun.
I am new to using GPS and I used a GPS watch borrowed from my sister in law. I need to buy a proper one.

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
29 Oct 2020 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

It was fantastic having new faces at this event. As organisers we know how much enjoyment there is when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining unfortunately we don't control it but just enjoy it with like minded people.
please not last year's trophies and prizes will be given out at the state titles at Myall lakes.That corona thing got in the way.

A gorgeous perpetual trophy made by Adam Craven for last years winner Murray Towndrow

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
7 Nov 2020 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

The state slalom titles are almost here you MUST ring direct now if you are going I have released the last cabin to the public and the park is fully book only a couple of tent sites left.
whilst your at it book February as well.
02 4997 4457 Direct line mention your a windsurfer for your discount.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
7 Nov 2020 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Found out today that there's only unpowered sites remaining at Myall Shores Park. Unfortunately I need power for my setup so if there's anyone who is keen to share the rent in a cabin or has a large powered site they would be interested in having another tent on it, let me know via an e-mail on this site.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
8 Nov 2020 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tony Wills said..
Found out today that there's only unpowered sites remaining at Myall Shores Park. Unfortunately I need power for my setup so if there's anyone who is keen to share the rent in a cabin or has a large powered site they would be interested in having another tent on it, let me know via an e-mail on this site.

Sorted

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
12 Nov 2020 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Heat 2 is locked and loaded for this Sunday!

When
- Sunday 15th November
Where:
Coal Point, Lake Macquaire goo.gl/maps/hn3D9HfhM8HcW3zk8
Briefing/Rego: 12:00
First Start: 12:30

A variety of formats being considered for the day including figure of 8 slalom (longish course) and GPS category racing, something for everyone! including the foil crew.

We have ordered a repeat of our 2018 event, which we hope eventuates, with a forecast building NE seabreeze that is expected to be in around our start time and build all afternoon to 15-20knts, Coal Point rarely fails to disappoint from this direction.

The added benefit of Sunday will be limited yacht traffic which is always a benefit.

For those that haven't been to Coal Point before, some images of previous events do an easy sell job.
www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=windsurfingmarmongpoint&set=a.2176376932376065

Note: sail numbers optional as long as you have a unique identification ie black duct tape on your sail, that will be fine.

Looking forward to seeing a solid turnout of local and afar Sailboard's in action.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"2020/21 NSW Slalom and GPS Series" started by GPSWindsurfing