Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

2018/19 Windsurf Kit Set Up and Why?

Created by brynoz > 9 months ago, 29 Aug 2018
brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
29 Aug 2018 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks,

I'd thought I'd start a thread that might get a few people posting. The forum threads have been hiberating over winter but spring is just around the corner. With some warm northerly winds are on the way its time to getting the kit back on the water and maybe make a few changes for the coming season.

The idea is sharing what windsurf kit set up your using any changes you thinking about making or are making for the 2018/19 season?

Of coarse you may want to keep it a big secret !!!

So too kick off by example:

I've been using fanatic boards, a 113 falcon and 99 hawk this last year. Both have been great and resulted in some improvements. Both have a generous Vee in them which has been great for handling in short chop and progressing some speeds. But I'm changing to try something different and using the RRD Xfire board. I'm going big with a 130 size x 81wide for slalom and then back to the 115 size x 70 wide for slalom and freerace and 108 size x 68 wide for more GPS. I'm still working through the higher wind option and will continue to test the 99 hawk and a older 100 naish bullet.

I've been using a combo of Niash and North freerace 3 cam sails. They have been a bit more work then the no cam sails i was using the year before be generally I've enjoyed the trade off from a quick rig and light throw around sail for that bit extra upwind and off wind performance. I managed to control a 7.8m in the 3 cam for the first time this year (I'm 81kg) so for next seaon I'm trying a race sail. I'm going to use the Severne Mach 2 and use a Severne OD in the 7.0m

When it comes to fins i have been using Vector and Nitro fins and had been focusing try to improve my off wind speed. This happended but it let me down with lift and crosswind performance at the nationals so I'm going to try some more upright slalom fins and use carbon at 38cm and above, not sure about the 36cm size yet and stay with G10 at 34cm and below.

And I'm still sitting on the fence with the foiling!!!

So i should also mention this post is by no way slalom or freerace focused, if your foiling, wavesailing, bump and jumping or longboading it's all interesting to hear about.

JonesySail
QLD, 1084 posts
29 Aug 2018 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I'm just coming around to your joint and upgrading on all the rejects, quality stock on hand in that trailer! :)

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
30 Aug 2018 3:52AM
Thumbs Up

Gday Brynoz, im an intermediate sailor based at GB. Weighing in at 103kg.This september sees the start of my 3rd year back sailing. Loving the RB stuff still. Pushing the big gear to 30kts my goal. 27.7kts PB sofar. I really like the feeling of hanging off the big gear.Sails are Ezzy Lions 9.5 n 7.5. Gaastra Cosmic 8.5 Severne RB 9.5
Boards are Speed 250s, Starboard380 Phantom.
Big quality fins are where its at for early planing. Even on RB.
2019 GOAL to get crankin on shortboards. Ive got AHD Freediamond 149. Older board 2.7m x 77cm. Ofo 50cm. Originally using select freeride 54cm. But everytime im sailing when a gust hit id spin the fin. So plenty of sail tuning rethinking to depower sail. ( im used to RB rig) Just dont need that much grunt on shortstuff. But i was still spinning fin. Worked out its my backfoot too heavy with rear strap outboard. Moved them inboard n NO FIN SPIN. Phew!! Tried multiple fins in the process. I now use 57cm Vmax 3.0. In a straight line i can sail it as well as most. Its just that turning around gig. (Lucky im at GB ) So 2019 for me will be Shortboard Gybecity.
Whenever the wind arrives....
3rd year in and my windsurf obsession is stronger than ever. If its over 10kts im there....
Darkman.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
30 Aug 2018 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

My upgrade this season is spending the windless winter in the gym and adopting a weight loss eating plan...

hoping that dropping 15kg (down from 100kg) and lots of sweaty workouts can make a difference - been working on my crappy balance and endurance

if not ......there is always the new OD windsurfer LT to master ??????

cheers Jeff

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
30 Aug 2018 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

^^ Nothing wrong with longboardin Jeff!!

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
30 Aug 2018 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
^^ Nothing wrong with longboardin Jeff!!

Agree. I've got 5+ various versions of longboard and I fall off them all

westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
30 Aug 2018 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

I turned 2 into 1. Had a dedicated foil board and a free ride board. Now I have a dual purpose one.

brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
30 Aug 2018 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Olskool - 27.7 on a speed 250 or 380 raceboard by anyones account is impressive. If you can drive a rig at the size and speed you could be dangerous on a short board!!!!

Jirvin4505 - Wont recognise you mate. Not sure what 15kg translates to in planning terms but it has to be 5 knots less wind required.

WestozWind - Nice looking Board. I think black is a crazy colour for a board here in Australia. Having said that my falcon is black. What type of foil are you running in the new board? with many foilers going wider, you were not phased by going narrower?

Jonsey - You can lead a horse to water but...

westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
30 Aug 2018 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

It's only slightly narrower and I'm only an intermediate foiler (NP aluminium) and do nnot have a desire to do it competitively at the moment. It means more space in the shed/trailer and a happier wife (who windsurf and likes the new board). Win, win.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8021 posts
30 Aug 2018 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

After a few seasons nursing injuries and doing whatever I could to avoid a stack I'm hoping to get back my fitness and confidence in lake chop. Maybe even try a few chop hops although if I have to swim for the board I may be in trouble..puff puff
I wish I hadn't got rid of my 78ltre waveboard..

brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
10 Sep 2018 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

No longer sitting on the fence!

Used on days I wouldn't of sailed otherwise in 10-15 Knots. Tried with a 7.8m and 7.0m and both worked well.

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
11 Sep 2018 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Nice kit Brynoz. But 10-15? Thats RB planing territory. . Wheres yr RB? Foils require a touch more water n wind than whats pictured.

brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
12 Sep 2018 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

The raceboard is great. 0-30+ knots After a while though the 9.5 and big board lost some of its appeal as thee slalom kit plans in around 12 knots. The foil only needed 10knots to get going and at 15 knots it headed up wind like a raceboard.

brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
2 Oct 2018 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Was time to step it up on the foil and go play in the bay. Flying over ocean swell upwind then outrunning it downwind. Top speed of about 18 knots. Plenty of offs shown by the white dots.

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
2 Oct 2018 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work Brynoz! Thats exactly what the original foils were designed to do.. Albeit on boats, smooth out all the lumps n bumps. Guessing there'd be a lot more footwork involved trimming the board thru the rough though.

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
2 Oct 2018 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

NO RB FOR ME, lately been sailing AHD FD150 57cm Vmax. Using 7.5-9.5m lions. Starting to get a handle on this board n sails setup. 22-27kts average speeds. Tuning tuning tuning. So much tuning to find what works for me.Over 18kts wind with mastfoot quite far forward the big Vmax is railing.
Lking for a used 53cm Vmax fin.
ANYONE ???

Orange Whip
QLD, 1044 posts
20 Dec 2018 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Will the popularity of foils see the decline and potential extinction of light wind boards like the the JP SLW ? What's the general consensus out there?

Pointman
WA, 435 posts
21 Dec 2018 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..
Will the popularity of foils see the decline and potential extinction of light wind boards like the the JP SLW ? What's the general consensus out there?

I definitely think that it will see the decline of Formula. I've got Formula kit with 10.7 and 12m sails and I've no desire to ever use the 12m again.

I'm only a beginner foiler, 3 sessions in, but I still think there's a place for cross-over light wind boards like the JP SLW. I love sailing my big slalom kit (Mistral 137 and 8.4 or 9 sails) and I don't think foiling will take its place.

brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
22 Dec 2018 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Formula boards and large salalom work fine for foiling so they will still have a place and use. It's personal opinion that people will opt to use a 6-7m sail in 10-15knots using a foil instead of a 8-11m sail with big fin.

One limiting factor to foiling though is water depth and this will mean some locations will need to stick with the big sail and fin combo.

About half of my sailing sessions are on a foil now.

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
24 Dec 2018 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Mostly the same kit(hawk 111, FSW 100, KA koncepts and kults, plus recently acquired a manta foil. Im recycling an old 140L slalom board at present for the foil and the KA sails will hold out another year (or until I crash from height too often). I would have been looking for a light wind slalom board but can now save that cash if thefoiling works out as planned.
Nice thing is Ive never looked forward to 10-15knot days before !

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"2018/19 Windsurf Kit Set Up and Why?" started by brynoz