Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Burrum Windfest 2024 Divisions Discussion

Created by Rolz 9 months ago, 29 Nov 2023
Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
29 Nov 2023 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

To start off with, all opinions are my own here...

Dates are set for 2024, plenty of time to discuss divisions for 2024

I'm rehashing what I said last year... and I'm hoping we can split the windsurfing (wind/wing foiling might still be too new here) to just speed based rather than age or gender... we don't have the numbers across the board... to be fair most of us now fall into the Legends category anyway...

Do we really want the event to just be guys and girls?

Last year's results

Again, I propose a different classification method...

Classed off 5x10 PB data off KA72 or GPSTC

Sub 30knot "Rookie"
Sub 35knot "Intermediate"
the Rest "Open"

Most sailors that head up know who their peers are, why throw a rookie in with the opens when it serves only to demoralise them?
Give them a class so they can battle it out... same with the intermediate...

99% of us have been around long enough to know where we sit even without resorting to being scrutinised...

I'm pretty sure everyone would be patting the person on the back that gets a PB (at the Pub or the Sausage Sizzle) that takes out the class and elevates to the next class the following year.

I'd rather be arguing about the names of the classes than why this shouldn't be the way forward.

Anyway, my last soap box attempt at this... see how it goes.

Rolz

John340
QLD, 3119 posts
30 Nov 2023 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

Good idea Rolz, It's a natural progression from last year's open (no age divisions) concept.

I enjoyed the 500m & Nm too, but would prefer a 30 minute average, rather than a hour

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
30 Nov 2023 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
Good idea Rolz, It's a natural progression from last year's open (no age divisions) concept.

I enjoyed the 500m & Nm too, but would prefer a 30 minute average, rather than a hour

yeah I think it was discussed by the committee that it would be 30min this year, but I just took the screenshot to show only guys and girls division emphasis.

kato
VIC, 3399 posts
30 Nov 2023 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

We did that split at the Inverloch Speed Challenge. Worked really well as skill and equipment were matched instead of age.

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
30 Nov 2023 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with ya Rolz. Also anybody who is a legend AND a Rookie should get shouted free beers at the pub !

Tardy
5010 posts
30 Nov 2023 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Some good ideas Rolz for us free riders ,3 times I have been now and still green to GPS , but I always thought it was all about Top Speed only by watching all the luderitz top speed racers ,I was amazed no big deal was made about top speed in the windfest ,but slowly learning ,so I have asked the committee if I could sponsor a trophy for the top speed next year ,so here it is ,Richie if you hit 32 knots next year I will buy you a Jug at the Pub ,

Tardy
5010 posts
30 Nov 2023 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Will it be foil or fin that takes this trophy home

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
4 Dec 2023 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Some good ideas Rolz for us free riders ,3 times I have been now and still green to GPS , but I always thought it was all about Top Speed only by watching all the luderitz top speed racers ,I was amazed no big deal was made about top speed in the windfest ,but slowly learning ,so I have asked the committee if I could sponsor a trophy for the top speed next year ,so here it is ,Richie if you hit 32 knots next year I will buy you a Jug at the Pub ,

Ha ha ! You're on .

tonyk
QLD, 540 posts
5 Dec 2023 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Will it be foil or fin that takes this trophy home

Nice one Phil
I suggest we have a prize for correctly nominating who will take it home
BTW the sailor on the trophy looks like he's setting up for a duckie

Windy Bum
QLD, 24 posts
6 Dec 2023 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Bring back the bear off you will get twice as many competitors

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
9 Dec 2023 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

I like the idea rolz.

evilC
QLD, 673 posts
28 Dec 2023 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

You could have a bear off bouy after the last course bouy (gybe mark) to make it safe

MobZ
NSW, 312 posts
5 Apr 2024 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Just signing up for one of my first events and i am well excited about this.
I was just coming for fun, to check it out, have a go and watch the big dogs blast by etc.
But now i see the divisions i actually feel like a competitor and get to feel that buzz too.
With a PB 2sec of 27kts, it's on like donkey kong div 3 rookies!
Now i am glad i haven't cracked a 33 yet, Windfest going to be the place!

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
8 Apr 2024 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MobZ said..
Just signing up for one of my first events and i am well excited about this.
I was just coming for fun, to check it out, have a go and watch the big dogs blast by etc.
But now i see the divisions i actually feel like a competitor and get to feel that buzz too.
With a PB 2sec of 27kts, it's on like donkey kong div 3 rookies!
Now i am glad i haven't cracked a 33 yet, Windfest going to be the place!

looking forward to seeing u there @MobZ! getting you guys to feel a part of it has been the main reason I thought a change was necessary :)

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
11 Apr 2024 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Some colour on the Horizon is always a good sign!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Burrum Windfest 2024 Divisions Discussion" started by Rolz