Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Formula Windsurfing

Created by Steve1001 > 9 months ago, 21 May 2014
cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
2 Jun 2014 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Jonesy my views on how to grow the sport start with grass roots, getting kids into it by having regular structured social sailing I have posted on that topic in the past, to that end myself and a few others have spent a considerable amount of our time and effort and even money in endeavouring to make such a thing possible. For that effort we have copped some crap that was really undeserved I still don't really understand why. We will pick up where we left off next season. I don't think anyone suggested formula was a good way to introduce new people to the sport.

I don't think this thread was ever intended to be a formula vs slalom battle either it just went that way a bit when the cost of equipment started to get compared. For me I just happen to like course racing, whats wrong with that, I like it on raceboards, formulas and rsx. I also own a slalom board (a+b110ltr) I love it, it's great, why can't I love both.

If you and 99% of other windsurfers don't like formula that's fine, as others have said each to their own, but why can't we get on this forum and talk about something we like, if you don't want it shoved down your throat don't read the thread. Personally I have never liked wally's but I am not gonna tell Gestalt to stop posting on them, I just don't reply to that thread cause it doesn't interest me. If he builds a fleet of regular wally racers then congrats to him, it doesn't diminish me in anyway.

Maybe there is a few people here in Qld that might be interested in formula in fact I know there is, I spoke to one yesterday, by getting on here and saying no one wants it etc etc you may just prevent that person or persons from pursuing that interest any further. Why would you want to do that.

If we all worked together and supported each other in growing the sport there would be enough new blood to spread around every aspect of the sport. If your serious about about making a contribution to growth you would be more than welcome to join us Saturday mornings volunteering to teach newbies in Spring.

brynoz
QLD, 177 posts
2 Jun 2014 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Cammd, deleted, no worries its a forum, if need be I can provide a disclaimer to anything tongue n cheek. I think you get it and anyone else that's sails different disciplines.

Like anything else formula has to stand on its own two feet. Start a series, chase sponsors, market, advertise, give up weekends, do msq permits, organise sailing clubs and go for it. I've heard that 12 months ago with free race.

Discussing with AWA to fire formula in Qld can be on the agenda.

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
2 Jun 2014 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
2 Jun 2014 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Cam is right, we should support a fellow windsurfer even if we don't sail that discipline. I admire freestyle but don't have the desire, talent or knees to do it myself. I can understand why Steve, Cam and others like formula so much. Planing to windward must feel amazing though The big heavy sails for me is a turn off. But that is no excuse to bag them because they share their enthusiasm on this forum.
Windsurfing is a broad church of styles with different skills and experiences. No one style is named the best, but each of us has one we prefer the most. Viva la difference

toeside
QLD, 70 posts
2 Jun 2014 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Keep going boys, I love reading this post........

Anybody checked out the weather lately, it's favouring formula day by day.....

toeside
QLD, 70 posts
2 Jun 2014 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

And the good old raceboard as well

Steve1001
QLD, 241 posts
2 Jun 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thursday onwards is showing some promise. If it's 10-12kts plus I'll be there on the barn door or phantom.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
3 Jun 2014 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Where has the windsurfer one design thread gone !

duncansayers
63 posts
3 Jun 2014 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsufering said..

Where has the windsurfer one design thread gone !

It has gone sailing with not enough time for arguing the pros and cons of one board-and-sail combination versus another. 4 wallys plus miscellaneous others, and retro-grouch wally pilots out on the lake last Sunday cruising around having a giggle - apparently that's what it's supposed to be all about.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
3 Jun 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

right on Duncan!

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
3 Jun 2014 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

if I can push my own barrow for a second. I don't get the snobbery/gear war that seems to happen in windsurfing with different disciplines. there's no point to it. it's not as if our waterways are crowded. me personally i'll sail anything cause I like to windsurf.

I'm going to put Burrum Windfest up as the example of unity within windsurfing. we run all types of disciplines and they all cross over with each other.

there are beginners there through to multiple world champs, weekend warriors through to hardcore racers and speedsters and everyone gets along and has a blast. those that have gotten too uptight with the laid back approach to the event or the need to have class specific and wind specific outcomes don't come to the event so what we are left with are a bunch of people (from around oz) who are really into it for fun as well as some serious or not so serious competition. everyone has the freedom to make of it what they choose.

everything the event stands for is about fun, participation and competition. there are freestyle sailors beside slalom sailors beside formula sailors beside longboard sailors beside wave sailors beside speed sailors and we have the entire 4 square nautical miles to ourselves to sail, party, bbq, relax and holiday wit the family.

the thing is, no-one cares what type of sailing people do because it's assumed everyone is there to just windsurf and have a good time.

this year we made a very big effort to spread the net further, it worked. everyone is in it for the fun, the lifestyle, the competition and the laughs.

next year will be no different.

Steve1001
QLD, 241 posts
3 Jun 2014 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Well said gestalt. Diversity makes life interesting.

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
3 Jun 2014 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

What about this one design type ? (It can go in zero knots)

bc
QLD, 700 posts
3 Jun 2014 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Richiefish said..

I reckon that's about the same dimensions as a formula board ;)

jusavina
QLD, 1463 posts
3 Jun 2014 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Needs more downhaul

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
3 Jun 2014 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

I could do with a fin like that on marginal days

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
3 Jun 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Richiefish said..

Nope, too cheap and common, won't pass the Elite test! besides that, I clearly can spy a paddle or two...it could be a SUP in disguise!
I bet it has an old Wipika Air Blast kite under the bow also for down wind runs! Cleary this vessel is a fraud! someone call the fun police!

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
3 Jun 2014 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

i'll give him props for his design.....

Lowlife
QLD, 47 posts
3 Jun 2014 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

I'd like to see that fully up and planing

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
3 Jun 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Couple of pictures of my son enjoying formula, he was 15 at the time and had been sailing for less than a year.

Steve1001
QLD, 241 posts
3 Jun 2014 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Cammd, he's styling. For less than one year's experience he's got it together. He'll be faster than you soon.

Look at that gybe! Formula gybe's certainly feel different to any other board. If you can pull off a full planing gybe on a formula you're doing well.

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
3 Jun 2014 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah he's been faster than me for sometime time now, another photo this one from the 2013 Down Under Pro, you can see his orange and white Techno Sail 4th in from the right. That was a great experience for him sailing in a big fleet with Steve Allen and other pro sailors. I'm somewhere in the photo as well, I remember crapping myself planing towards the start line praying I didn't fall off and get run over.

Steve1001
QLD, 241 posts
4 Jun 2014 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Cheer up guys. Here comes the wind. For me Formula or raceboard tomorrow and Friday, short boards on the weekend.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Formula Windsurfing" started by Steve1001