The notice of Race is up for the QLD 2016 Raceboard Championships
sponsored by WinsurfingGear.com.au

The event will include

the QLD 2016 Windsurfer One Design Championships
sponsored by Wind and Surf.

The event will be held at Lake Cootharaba Sailing Club
on the 30th of April and 1st of May

NOR can be found on the LCSC website and this link
http://www.lcsc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016-QLD-Raceboard-and-WOD-champ-NOR.pdf

For anyone who would like to get some practice in the lead up.
The Easter regatta at LCSC is open to sailboards,
and club racing is continuing on Sunday 3rd, 10th and 17th of April.

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
22 Mar 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Oh, not those WOD guys.

The Pom
QLD, 137 posts
24 Mar 2016 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Great News Tony!

Ill be there!!!

Simon

cammd
QLD, 3714 posts
25 Mar 2016 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Tony I am looking forward to it.

tonymatta
QLD, 358 posts
13 Apr 2016 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Last weekend of club racing is on Sunday 17th at Lake Cootharaba Sailing Club.
Your last chance to have a practice race here before the state championships.
Morning race will be at 11.00
Afternoon race at 1.30.

snorkel962
QLD, 456 posts
14 Apr 2016 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

I won't make it down but all the very best for a great event!

tonymatta
QLD, 358 posts
22 Apr 2016 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Last week end for practicing before
the
WindsurfingGear.com.au Raceboard State Championship,
and
Wind and Surf WOD state Championship.

Its promising to be nice and windy so don't forget to make your bookings and prepare your gear.

The Boreen Point store will be open late for Saturday night dinner orders and the club bar will open as usual for drinks.

See you at the lake.

tonymatta
QLD, 358 posts
27 Apr 2016 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Are you ready for the championships next Saturday?

If anyone doesn't have a suitable raceboard but would like to have a go, please contact me.
We should be able to organise some loan equipment for you.

There will be a hybrid division again this year for boards using sails up to 7.8 m.

KennyK
QLD, 395 posts
1 May 2016 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Went up for a look on Saturday, got there just after lunch roughly.
A race was just starting but it wasn't long before a heavy patch of rain came through, during which I couldn't see anything out on the water.
After about 20 minutes the rain had past, to reveal all the competitors milling around the control boat.
I figured I'd stay and watch the next race. It took what seemed like an hour before the next race got under way in very light winds, guessing 5-7 knots, if that.
I must admit, not very good for spectators, not much to see, being that the racing was on the other side of the lake.
So I watched that race till the end, hoping to see the crew when they came in afterwards. A guy with a mostly clear sail, with a blue luff and bit of blue on the head, lead from go to whoa, well done who ever you were.
After the race they were milling around the control boat again, must have been another race, boredom overtook me, so I decided to head home.
Wish I could have participated, however had just had carpal tunnel release surgery the day prior.
Good luck to all hope Sunday brings better conditions.

Mark (AUS-746)
QLD, 66 posts
2 May 2016 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

We spent a lot of time on and off the water waiting for wind. A big thank you to Tony Matta and the LCSC team for organising the event which saw 5 races completed over the two days.

cammd
QLD, 3714 posts
2 May 2016 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Yes thank you LCSC for hosting the regatta again. Mostly light wind but a planing race to finish the event.

Well done to Dave Sterling the new Qld Raceboard Champion and doing it by knocking off all the new Phantoms with a 20 year old F2 lighting.

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
2 May 2016 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you to Tony Matta and LCSC. A great little club that punches well above its weight! Congratulations to Dave Sterling champion sailboarder and top bloke.

snorkel962
QLD, 456 posts
2 May 2016 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Well done to all involved. wish I was there!!!!!

Joshbonga
QLD, 72 posts
2 May 2016 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfer One Design QLD Champs was tightly fought with myself (Josh Green) and Frank Fontyne coming up with equal points after five races in light conditions. Great regatta with a record number of Wally's out there and well run by LCSC race committee. Thanks to everyone involved including Wally sponsor: Wind & Surf. Congrats to the Raceboard winners Dave Stirling and Mark Harper.

The Pom
QLD, 137 posts
3 May 2016 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Great event LCSC and Tony Matta!

Thanks for putting it on in some very testing conditions.

My favourite moment from the regatta?

Reaching into the gybe mark on the inside, with Cameron just outside me and Ray "Ramming Speed" Wilson on the outside.

"Watch Out" Wilson gybes on the outside, and whilst looking at his centreboard, cuts Cameron in half on port (Cameron still on starboard) and knocks him in...and then mounts the back of my board just after I have gybed round the mark.

So "Ramming Speed" is now in-between my board and my boom with us both on port about 3 feet away from me....

Only comment...

"Oh g'day Ray...you coming on board then.....?"

"Watch Out" Wilson... I strongly recommend you study RRS 18.2 before the Worlds!

Esp121
QLD, 2 posts
3 May 2016 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thank so much for this unbelievable weekend!
Thank for the club for borrow me a board and do a excellent work in all races!
I thank so much Cameron for give me the opportunity of competed , sailing , make new windsurfers friend, have a very fun time in the water and out of water
for my was a unforgettable experience is the best good experience i have in Australia!
And thank all competitors for welcoming me so familiarly! i feel like in home, like one more in the big family windsurfers of queensland!
i hope we can see other time in the water or out water!

you will be eternally grateful to all of you are the best!

Dodgydave
19 posts
3 May 2016 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

I'm with Ray - rules just spoil the fun!

Yes, thanks to all for making it a great weekend. Massive input from Tony to encourage sailboards of all types at LCYC for the May-day regatta, and also from Cameron to go the many extra yards required to allow extra participation at the event. eg bringing the Spanish-sailing-athlete Alvae to the event - hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Aus and that you can do some more sailing with us during your stay.

Thanks also to Cameron for allowing me to borrow the killer light wind machine (1995 F2 Lightning). I was just as shocked and surprised (and grateful) as everyone else how well it went on Saturday. Combined with the RSX 9.5 sail it just seemed to want to go straight into the wind with effortless speed - I literally just hung on for the ride (total practice with the combination involved the 30min pre-start period checking that the board was actually fully functional). I guess it was the result of my efforts over the last 5 years to get the most out of an RSX 9.5 sail, whilst pushing a brick thru the water in light winds, combined with a raceboard that I discovered 22 years ago (1994 Tasmanian raceboard series) had a distinct racing advantage in sub-planning conditions. It looks like the latter might still be true.

Despite the apparent gear advantage to me it was still very close racing for all participants. We'll need to do a lot more of this tight competition over the next 6 months so the Queensland raceboard team can defend our territory at the worlds in November at RQ.

Happy sailing - hope to see you all again soon on the water for our next training session team Qld.

Regards
DodgyDave

Dodgydave
19 posts
3 May 2016 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I spelt your name wrong Alvaro del Barco (= Alvae). See you soon and good luck with all.
David

The Pom
QLD, 137 posts
3 May 2016 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Some photos of the prize giving are here folks... add yourselves if I have missed you out.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.967874023288675.1073741828.116131128462973&type=3

WindsurfingQLD
200 posts
3 May 2016 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it was a very challenging event with some very light sub planning conditions.

Congratulations Dave Sterling and Josh Green on a great result and I love that Dave's practice only included a 30 minute warm up - way to rub it in mate...

Well done and a big thankyou to all the organisers, sponsors and LCSC.

Cheers, Scot.

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
3 May 2016 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

It would be remiss of me not to mention how well Jacob Whitford sailed and that he even managed to beat his Dad overall.

cammd
QLD, 3714 posts
3 May 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

i gave you the red thumb da vecta

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
3 May 2016 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha

jusavina
QLD, 1460 posts
3 May 2016 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dodgydave said..
I'm with Ray - rules just spoil the fun!

Regards
DodgyDave

That would explain your port start during training

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
23 Jun 2016 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Just checked out the entry list for the RBW and noticed that several locals who are going to compete, have not yet entered.

Please take the time to enter, as this will help the ladies and gentlemen who are organising the event.

Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"QLD Raceboard and WOD championships 2016" started by tonymatta