Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

QLD State Slalom Titles 2020 at RQYS

Created by Mitch Pearson > 9 months ago, 18 Feb 2020
Mitch Pearson
QLD, 270 posts
18 Feb 2020 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all we are looking to start up an annual slalom state titles at RQYS towards the end of the year (see poster below) and are keen to see the interest levels so we know how many sailors to cater for etc.

A few points below -

- Downwind slalom with racing similar to Green Island Nationals (everyone does a heat and final in each round)
- Open and amateur divisions
- three weekend waiting period for one full weekend of racing to ensure good conditions
- Potential for a marathon down winder
- Friday training sessions leading up to the event at RQYS. Will be handy for first timers to learn the start sequence etc before the titles
- NOR, sailing instructions and entry details to come closer to the date
- all equipment welcome (minus foils)

You can contact myself, Lara and Shari O'brien or Brady Lowe at RQ if you have further questions and / or suggestions.

Cheers,

Mitch

da vecta
QLD, 2514 posts
18 Feb 2020 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Should be a blast . Great initiative Mitch!

evilC
QLD, 674 posts
18 Feb 2020 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a great idea to me (including the marathon)

Orange Whip
QLD, 1044 posts
18 Feb 2020 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Excuse my ignorance, but which beach/bay/ venue is RQYS? I.e. where will the sailing take place? And perhaps could you give some info for out of towners that might attend? I.e. accommodation options, rigging area, parking.....

Orange Whip
QLD, 1044 posts
18 Feb 2020 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

And is it first past the finish line or do you have to have a GPS?

Mitch Pearson
QLD, 270 posts
18 Feb 2020 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..
Excuse my ignorance, but which beach/bay/ venue is RQYS? I.e. where will the sailing take place? And perhaps could you give some info for out of towners that might attend? I.e. accommodation options, rigging area, parking.....

Hi,

This is only a save the date so to garner interest and hence numbers. More information will come closer to the date.

RQYS is the royal queensland yacht squadron, as per the poster, in Manly on the bay near Brisbane. RQ has all the parking, rigging area etc and also has accommodation options.

The races are proper slalom format. Meaning place over the line. The Notice of race and sailing instructions will explain all of this when they come out later in the year.

Mitch

JonesySail
QLD, 1084 posts
18 Feb 2020 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great, great idea the multi weekend date claim to get the best possible conditions ..we might get sone wind by then !:) I'm in.

da vecta
QLD, 2514 posts
24 Feb 2020 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Can there be a Slolum category?

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
25 Feb 2020 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

You might get some interstate blow ins which of course can always be reciprocated at our NSW state slalom titles Myall lakes December 4th ,5th,6th.Fantastic to get it up and going again I am sure it will be well received.

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
25 Feb 2020 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
da vecta said..
Can there be a Slolum category?

I'll enter that

Mitch Pearson
QLD, 270 posts
26 Feb 2020 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byronmc said..
You might get some interstate blow ins which of course can always be reciprocated at our NSW state slalom titles Myall lakes December 4th ,5th,6th.Fantastic to get it up and going again I am sure it will be well received.

That sounds great. I'm sorry it makes it difficult when it could be on either of the three weekends but it's necessary to get a result. Hopefully we can give enough warning for any out of towners.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"QLD State Slalom Titles 2020 at RQYS" started by Mitch Pearson