Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2014 Severne Overdrive R5

Created by Aus06 > 9 months ago, 11 Jan 2014
Aus06
SA, 235 posts
20 Jan 2014 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Also agree!

I could easily change to NCX for all sails except my biggest (want cams for ultimate foil shape and light wind performance), and my smallest (want cams for performance, stability and speed).

Everything else ... NCX

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
20 Jan 2014 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Agree too. Cams are only needed for racing and speed sailors. No cams are awesome these days. 90% of the prrformance and none of the drawbacks. I'll never use cam sails again.

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
26 Jan 2014 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

New OD R5 sails arrived Friday. Today I got out on the 110, 8.6 and 42cm fin. Rigged it to the correct setting but the leach wasn't twisting off that much at all. Sailed it for an hour or so but didn't feel the love. Came in and put the ext up another 2cm more than recommended. Then the beast came alive and felt totally different. Sail felt really good, and super fast off the wind. Very happy. The thing I noticed the most between Dave's Reflex 3 8.6 and my sail was the width of R3 8.6 is so much wider than the OD. Never thought the 8.6 and 110 combo would work as well as it does. Better than 2013 117/8.6 and 2013 127/8.6.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8014 posts
27 Jan 2014 5:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tobyr said..

When you guys are done with them send them my way.
Love my Overdrives.

+1!

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8014 posts
27 Jan 2014 5:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vando said..

New sails have arrived
Big change for me this year after being on loft since 2007.
Really looking forward to trying these sails, they look amazing rigged up.
Ive got a 7.8, 7, 6.2 in Overdrives R5 and a 5.6 Reflex R5

Stayed tuned

7.8 Overdrive R5

swoon.. ( sorry sails not you).. Boy I'd love to be able to afford a lovely new set of sails..I suppose then I'd be paranoid about creasing them..

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
28 Jan 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Had a ball on the OD 7 yesterday the wind was around 20 knots. At first i had about 1cm extra down haul then recommended and it felt good however later i pulled on an another 1cm on and the sail just came alive and went into overdrive() super light and fast. Seriously though im loveing these new sails I just felt right at home on them straight away. You wouldnt think these only had 3 cams.
The sails are so easy to rig and use and the rotation is fantastic. I'm very surprised they Rot is just a good as my old sails that were rigged on rdm.
There are some nice features that i haven't had before such as the quick attached out-haul system and the padded board protector that nicely folds out of the way. good quality sail bags also.
Very happy chappy

and yes the sails look better than me

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
29 Jan 2014 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Steve Charles said..

New OD R5 sails arrived Friday. Today I got out on the 110, 8.6 and 42cm fin. Rigged it to the correct setting but the leach wasn't twisting off that much at all. Sailed it for an hour or so but didn't feel the love. Came in and put the ext up another 2cm more than recommended. Then the beast came alive and felt totally different. Sail felt really good, and super fast off the wind. Very happy. The thing I noticed the most between Dave's Reflex 3 8.6 and my sail was the width of R3 8.6 is so much wider than the OD. Never thought the 8.6 and 110 combo would work as well as it does. Better than 2013 117/8.6 and 2013 127/8.6.

I meant to say width of the luff sleeve.
Interesting about the extra 2cm of downhaul Vando. Maybe all the sails might need that.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
29 Jan 2014 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Steve Charles said..

Steve Charles said..

Interesting about the extra 2cm of downhaul Vando. Maybe all the sails might need that.

No so far its only the 7 that seems to like more than recommended.
The other day I had the extension set to 32 with maybe 5mm gap still

choco
SA, 4032 posts
29 Jan 2014 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vando said..

Steve Charles said..

Steve Charles said..

easy way to find out is to go to their site derr

"The OVERDRIVE R5 has been refined for improved performance on both RDM and SDM masts. Seam shaping has been reduced to increase skin tension, and then sleeve shaping has been increased to maintain the profile depth. Leech tension has been increased to allow the Reflex system to do more work. The overall result is a high performance racing sail, in a very user friendly package".

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
29 Jan 2014 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..

vando said..

Steve Charles said..

Steve Charles said..

easy way to find out is to go to their site derr

"The OVERDRIVE R5 has been refined for improved performance on both RDM and SDM masts. Seam shaping has been reduced to increase skin tension, and then sleeve shaping has been increased to maintain the profile depth. Leech tension has been increased to allow the Reflex system to do more work. The overall result is a high performance racing sail, in a very user friendly package".

Oh yer choc looks like im right then

djl070
WA, 290 posts
29 Jan 2014 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Steve Charles said..

Steve Charles said..

New OD R5 sails arrived Friday. Today I got out on the 110, 8.6 and 42cm fin. Rigged it to the correct setting but the leach wasn't twisting off that much at all. Sailed it for an hour or so but didn't feel the love. Came in and put the ext up another 2cm more than recommended. Then the beast came alive and felt totally different. Sail felt really good, and super fast off the wind. Very happy. The thing I noticed the most between Dave's Reflex 3 8.6 and my sail was the width of R3 8.6 is so much wider than the OD. Never thought the 8.6 and 110 combo would work as well as it does. Better than tel:2013%20117/8.6 and tel:2013%20127/8.6.

You are right about they come alive with more down haul,I add 2cm more to all of mine and it does the trick

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
2 Feb 2014 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Dave and I had the ODR5 7.8 out today for the first time on the 110. Best rotation I have ever seen on a Severne cambered sail. Sail feels so light and well balanced. Plenty of power and so easy to sail. Felt more like a 7.0 than a 7.8 in terms of easy sailing. Boom length is 210 and Reflex 4 7.0 boom length is 208. Had the luff set to the correct setting but needed it an extra 2cm.

choco
SA, 4032 posts
2 Feb 2014 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Steve Charles said..

Dave and I had the ODR5 7.8 out today for the first time on the 110. Best rotation I have ever seen on a Severne cambered sail. Sail feels so light and well balanced. Plenty of power and so easy to sail. Felt more like a 7.0 than a 7.8 in terms of easy sailing. Boom length is 210 and Reflex 4 7.0 boom length is 208. Had the luff set to the correct setting but needed it an extra 2cm.

sounds like the correct settings are a misprint then

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
2 Feb 2014 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..

Steve Charles said..

sounds like the correct settings are a misprint then

Just wondering if because its not a full blown race sail that maybe more recreational sailors are happy to sail with it at the recommended setting. For those who are used to sailing overpowered and with a lot of twist in the leach then they go for a couple more cm of downhaul, dunno. All my Reflex sails were always set to the recommended settings.

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
20 Feb 2014 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Out on the new OD5 6.2 for the first time today and the sail feels so damn good. Big call but I think its the best Severne slalom sail I have ever used. I am sure the rest of the OD5 are just as good. Off the wind the sail just wants to accelerate and it feels great across the wind as well. You can really feel how much lighter it is when carrying the rig, jibing and sailing it in general. Overall I think its faster than the R4 6.2 (another big call). Just a great fun, easy and fast sail to use

quatro25
SA, 135 posts
21 Feb 2014 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Have you adjusted your batten tension yet?

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
21 Feb 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Ha-ha well spotted. I adjusted the 2 Reflex system tensioners but forgot to do the end of the batten ones. Only noticed they needed doing when I took the photo. Must have been in too much of a hurry to get out. Cheers.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
21 Feb 2014 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Steve we will have to call you "The Flash" with the speed you are getting on your new sails.

fibersnap
52 posts
21 Feb 2014 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

What is your setup with the pulleys on the clew of the sail? Is that an aftermarket solution or does it come with the sail?

Thank you - looks like a beautiful sail.

djl070
WA, 290 posts
21 Feb 2014 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fibersnap said..

What is your setup with the pulleys on the clew of the sail? Is that an aftermarket solution or does it come with the sail?

Thank you - looks like a beautiful sail.

Comes with the Severne race sails

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
12 Mar 2014 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone used their OD's with RDMs and non-brand specific ones at that - Vando, have you tried them with your Loft RDMs yet?

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
12 Mar 2014 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

No I haven't snags I need some RDM cams

fitz66
QLD, 575 posts
13 Mar 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

I might have some spare rdm cams you can try Vando, see you at Burrum.

NWF
10 posts
18 Mar 2014 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

I hear the 6.2 OD R5 is working well, with some PBs being broken..... But has anybody tried out the OD R5 5.6 yet? And if so are the speeds just as impressive..... Just picked myself up a 2012 IS 49 and looking for a SV 2014 engine.... Obvious choice has to be Reflex R5 5.6m but curious to know any feedback on the OD R5 5.6...... Compared with the Reflex....

shinobi
151 posts
18 Mar 2014 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

A friend of mine runs his OD4 on EZZY masts. The 7.8 suits well on the 460cm version.
NOTE: he is only 65kg but an experienced racer coming from Vapor sails. He says that the sails could a bit more powerful but the handling advantages are more than justifying the slightly reduced power.
Looking at him when we are on the water, his sails twists quite a lot...
If you are light, searching for comfort and don't need 105% power, look no further
~Shinobi

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
18 Mar 2014 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Sail on the right is my OD R5 5.6. Sail on the left is my mates Reflex 5 5.6. I have both the OD R5 6.2 and OD R5 5.6. Both sails feel amazing, very fast and light. The draft is much deeper on the OD R5 compared to Reflex 5, which I think makes them very fast off the wind. The luff sleeve on the Reflex 5 is much wider than the OD R5. The Overdrives do feel really stable considering less cambers and battens. As far as OD5 5.6 vs Reflex 5 5.6 in terms of speed probably not much difference.

fume
9 posts
5 Jul 2014 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

I got to sail a 7m OD rigged on an Severne 430 Gorilla (75%) rdm today. I know this is a late addition to the conversation but perhaps my first impressions of this sail when rigged on an rdm might be helpful to someone one day?

It was the first time i'd sailed a cammed sail of this size rigged on an rdm and for the most part I totally dug the rdm feeling. Normal over powered sailing was really comfortable and locked down, with a great degree of flex and forgiveness from the head. Perfect for my hefty 68kgs. It was definitely getting out of shape and fighty when the bullets came through, but the beach weather station was registering gusts over 30knots so it was definitely having to work hard.

Given what i had read about this sail i have to admit that i was expecting it to be a bit more well behaved at the extreme top end, however this could well have been a mast thing. It could have been a rigging thing too but i did get a lot of opportunity to play around with this today. I am not sure how much better the sail would have handled it if it was rigged on a sdm or on a mast with a higher carbon content, but i'd be keen to experiment before forming any sort of firm opinion.

It definitely required a heap more downhaul than recommended. I'd say that the recommended dh setting (30cm) was about the minimum that i'd want to run on this rig. It totally lit up with a few more cm. I would have given it about 33cm but the end of the session.

Bottom end was just fine, even when given a heap of downhaul. Latter in the day it dropped right off with some big holes and pumping on to the plane was easy.

I did get the impression that the rig felt heavier in the hands than sails of a similar size that i've used in the past. Odd because the sail feels light enough out of the bag. Could be a 75% mast thing, but for the time being i'm rigging my TR9 on an older 430 naish 75% (last out of the same factory as the old powerex) and yet that felt lighter than the 7m OD today... I've spent a lot of time on the 7m Naish bullet in the past (same mast) and i reckon that felt lighter in the hands too.

Lots of chatter from the monofilm leach. Reflex tensioners seem like marketing hype.

Its odd how Severne has set up their sails to rig from the opposite side from every other sail i've ever used. Its actually a bit of a pain as this puts the extension cleat under the pulleys rather than on top, making it really hard to cleat off the rope under my foot/leg while holding full tension. Although quick enough, the added extra step of flipping the sail over and rotating it through in order to be able to complete rigging is some what irritating. I guess its because i feel slightly manipulated... like they are trying to frustrate me into buying their extensions. Whatever... its only a small irritation, but clearly present none the less.

One thing that is absolutely standout is the cam rotation. Perfect. Every time. love it. The best i have ever sailed. It is not a soft rotation at all. It bangs through. But you only ever have to tell it once and the rotation is immediate and complete.

As a first impression i'm stoked. I definitely want to spend more time getting to know this sail as i definitely think that tuning could release greater potential. I've purchased a 7.8 as a light wind mish rig. If all goes well then i might look at the 6.2 or the 7.0, however i'll have to get some magic sessions on the OD under my belt before i would consider letting usurp my current quiver.

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
5 Jul 2014 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Fume. After about 7 months on the OD R5, I am running nearly all of them with 4cm extra extension than recommended. Pulley to pulley gap around 2-3cm. All sails are still super sweet with great cam rotation. The 6.2 is my favourite and most used. All sails are used on SDM.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
6 Jul 2014 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

My settings at Green Island Nats a few weeks ago.
7.0 OverdriveR5, Extension set at 32 pulled right down wind 30-35Knots.
The less windy days 20-25 i was running maybe 5-10mm less

Photo By Billy Craig

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 Severne Overdrive R5" started by Aus06