Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2014 Starboard 8'10

Created by oryx > 9 months ago, 24 Jun 2014
oryx
QLD, 46 posts
25 Jun 2014 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of getting a Wind SUP and Starboard 8'10 is well rated. I am 85kg and OK windsurfer on flat water. Looking get into the waves when the wind is light.

Any thoughts or other board suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

SHEETIN
291 posts
25 Jun 2014 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Forget the sup, from what I've seen and used they all turn like an Ocean liner.
Go a 100lt wave board Nuevo, Black box or similar both will rip in the waves and light wind conditions.

mike nelson
NSW, 105 posts
25 Jun 2014 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

we're running 9'5" Widepoint's and the 10" Drive and in 8-14knots and small-medium waves is the great fun - as a light wind, cruisy activity waiting for the wind to pick up its a great option - they're 'windsurf' optioned standard SUP (rather than the 'windsup' although i'm sure they're as good if not identical)

their 160l means getting out and upwind is easy. they turn fine for their size, basically they're a SUP (designed for surfing waves) powered by a sail, they'll turn as aggresive as you want to be. 8"10" would be a bit surfier i'd guess

masse
41 posts
25 Jun 2014 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SHEETIN said...
Go a 100lt wave board Nuevo, Black box or similar both will rip in the waves and light wind conditions.

I'm with Sheetin on this. I got myself a SUP with the same kind of thought. And then I got a 100 litre waveboard, a Simmer semi-custom.

I sold my SUP a couple of days ago. Ever since I got the 100 litre board, there has always been enough wind to get out anyway. And it is much much better on the wave.

But make sure you get a board designed for this, not some kind of fsw or oversized "classic", they will not do it.

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
25 Jun 2014 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Guys. Good tips. I've got a freeride board and a 102 lt JP FSW so I will give that a go in the waves. However I am still leaning towards getting a wind SUP as well, even my surfing is more long board looking nowadays as the wrong side of 45 so I don't think the slow turning will faze me :)

The guys at the shop were suggesting the JP Fusion 9"8.

hoop
1979 posts
25 Jun 2014 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SHEETIN said...

The Nuevo's come in a 110 litre as well. For 2015 we'll have a 120 litre too.
Was good fun testing the 120's. There's something satisfying about being out catching waves while everyone else is sitting on the beach.

uweh
311 posts
25 Jun 2014 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Hoop,

any more data about the 120 litre nuevo ?

thanks in advance

peguin
WA, 263 posts
26 Jun 2014 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

I've a JP 8.5 SUP and it doesn't work that well when windsurfing as it feels the mast foot- fin locations are wrong. Not good on waves or even cruising.

Mates starboard works and feels normal when windsurfing, good in waves too and I've used franatic SUP 11.5 in shoulder high waves, bugger all wind on a Simon Bornhoft course and they were a ball, laughed my head off. Like slowmo wavesailing. If I had to chose between a WIndSUP & large waveboard, I'd go for over-volume wave board rather than SUP even for cruising.

russh
SA, 3025 posts
26 Jun 2014 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

I have one of the original 9'8 Starby sups and have a great time floating around when the waves are good but too windy for a SUP surf and all the 100l wave boards are on the beach or swimming them back to the beach - if you can wave sail then you can turn a sup on a wave - use the straps if you've got them on the wave sailing side. I only ever ride mine in cross or cross off conditions though - they're pretty lame in onshore waves (in my opinion)

If you want a nice relaxed cruise up and down the coast and catch a few waves - easy up haul lots of float and not worry about a swim in with your gear SUP sailing can be great fun - yeah they don't turn like a short board but It also depends on the pilot - trying to be radical isnt' the only reason to be on the water

Be aware though that they are big, heavy and easily break mast extensions in meaty shorebreaks or nose diving after that big reo in the close out

Go for what ever floats you boat - and consider an older cheap second hand one

www.seabreeze.com.au/Photos/View/8428947/Windsurfing/WSA-series-1/?m=1&p=Windsurfing

Beaglebuddy
1595 posts
26 Jun 2014 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Board has no rear foot straps, lot's of tail rocker and US finbox so it's not designed to plane unless you are on a wave so it's for really light wind and at 85 kg I think you may want a board bigger than this 142L.
I think this board is designed for a lighter person to SUP and WindSUP in very light wind.

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
27 Jun 2014 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9'2 Allwave (160L) and weigh about 83kg. It's quite fun to putt around on with a sail and the nice thing is you can stand in one spot waiting for a set to roll through. The downside is that it sails like a dog (doesn't quite get onto a plane even when fully overpowered) and it's a big beast when you are on the wave. Still better than sitting on the beach though.

If you are a similar weight to me I reckon you could get away with a 135 - 145 L. The AHD Sealion (the classic is 135L) is an option if you want a SUP that is geared more to sailing. I'm looking at going the other route this summer and getting a 100L waveboard for sailing the 10 knots+ days.

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
28 Jun 2014 1:27AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the great tips everyone. I am testing a JP 9'2 Surf on the weekend. That will give me a bit more of an idea on volume. I am leaning towards the Starboard 9'5 or the sea lion as I am after more of a windsurfing sup rather than using it as a sup. Anyone ridden the Sea Lion?

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
28 Jun 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Never ridden one of these but I understand that they're intended to plane. They look fun.

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
28 Jun 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I agree with russh. WindSUP's and 100L waveboards work in different but sometimes overlapping conditions. Why not get both to really add to the confusion when you are rigging up

Also, the Exocet Kona series with the funky step tail are a designed for light wind wavesailing more than SUP. They have footstraps and plane really nicely (I have had mine planing in 10 knots). The step tail does work.

I have the 11.5. Big board, but very versatile. Might be hard to get your hands on one by all accounts.

Beaglebuddy
1595 posts
28 Jun 2014 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oryx said...
Anyone ridden the Sea Lion?

www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28458&sid=5127d30d2fd701af6f377f13e3e69cad
This guy got one because he blew out his knee and the Dr. said no foot straps for a period of time.
I'm quite a bit leery of boards without foot straps or only front straps, sounds like launch city to me. There is a small window to sail a board planing without foot straps primarily a long board which goes from slogging to various degrees of gliding then a very slow plane but after that it's a wild ride without your feet secure. Pushing the toes down or entering a jibe at high speed lifting the windward rail with the strapped in foot is not possible. Just figure on using a smaller sail and slogging about in the surf in light wind.
I may be wrong but for this kind of sailing I would think you should be able to SUP the board in the same conditions for it to be the correct volume because the idea is to swap the paddle for a small sail, i.e. the sail is just to get you back out so you can ride a wave in again. One cool thing is for this kind of sailing you could use an old battenless sail (hot sails is now making one) that weighs about 1 kg.

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
28 Jun 2014 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gonebush said...
Never ridden one of these but I understand that they're intended to plane. They look fun.

Thanks for the link. The vid looks great. I wonder if the the Starboard planes? I rode he 9'2 JP Surf 136 Ltr. I didn't plane and I'm not an expert but I didn't like it.

Cap'n Kirk
QLD, 43 posts
3 Jul 2014 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

To add my two cents worth to the debate... Long been an advocate of having a "big brute" for the marginal days and earlier this year traded my much-loved Cabrinha/JP 10'2" on an 8'10" Wide Point and couldn't be more stoked! It is an ideal SEQ light-wind waveboard and the footstraps (admittedly front-only) make a world of difference perfomance-wise. Don't have any video of the SB in action, but am working on it.

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
4 Jul 2014 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cap'n Kirk said...
To add my two cents worth to the debate... Long been an advocate of having a "big brute" for the marginal days and earlier this year traded my much-loved Cabrinha/JP 10'2" on an 8'10" Wide Point and couldn't be more stoked! It is an ideal SEQ light-wind waveboard and the footstraps (admittedly front-only) make a world of difference perfomance-wise. Don't have any video of the SB in action, but am working on it.

Capn' Kirk - Does the SB plane just under wind power? I am definitely going to get a big light wind board.

Jeroensurf
877 posts
6 Jul 2014 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

I got a Sealion to demo for a few weeks 3years ago.I was looking at a 2th sup that I could windsurf as well.For SUP the board was at that moment a bit unstable for my 90kg and our often choppy conditions so I didnt bought it, but it is a special board.
First: for light wind wavesailing it was a blast. Nowadays you have the 118l waveboards, but at that time you needed to get a FSW board if you wanted anything over 100l while the SEalion offered so much more float and width.It planed earlier as my 100l waveboard and 105l FSW with a smaller sail on it and it was very capable freeriding on a waveless day at sea.Full speed planing in heavy chop seems undoable on a normall board, but somehow in a knee/waist high mess the Sealion was still controlable without straps. The full pad and being able to hance you stance ads a lot of control.
On a wave sailing strapless is a complete different sensation as with them. You can really step back to turn a lot tighter and more to the midle to ad speed or to the rails to ad grip in a turn. It feels a lot like surfing and I really really liked it.
As written above, I didnt buy one, My homepot is at the Northsea where we sail a lot in choppy strong current and side-on conditions, but each time i,m at the Atlantic Ocean with its clean waves, longer waveperiod and a light breeze i,m pretty sure a SL must be a blast although i can,t compare them to XXL waveboards like the Goya118 or Nuevo110.
Got a Starboard WP8.10 as well. nice sup that you can sail, but as a windsurfer very limited and imo not as good as the SL. Too much rocker to plane and a bit sketchy in the the faster turns due its thickness.

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
7 Jul 2014 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeroensurf said...
I got a Sealion to demo for a few weeks 3years ago.I was looking at a 2th sup that I could windsurf as well.For SUP the board was at that moment a bit unstable for my 90kg and our often choppy conditions so I didnt bought it, but it is a special board.
First: for light wind wavesailing it was a blast. Nowadays you have the 118l waveboards, but at that time you needed to get a FSW board if you wanted anything over 100l while the SEalion offered so much more float and width.It planed earlier as my 100l waveboard and 105l FSW with a smaller sail on it and it was very capable freeriding on a waveless day at sea.Full speed planing in heavy chop seems undoable on a normall board, but somehow in a knee/waist high mess the Sealion was still controlable without straps. The full pad and being able to hance you stance ads a lot of control.
On a wave sailing strapless is a complete different sensation as with them. You can really step back to turn a lot tighter and more to the midle to ad speed or to the rails to ad grip in a turn. It feels a lot like surfing and I really really liked it.
As written above, I didnt buy one, My homepot is at the Northsea where we sail a lot in choppy strong current and side-on conditions, but each time i,m at the Atlantic Ocean with its clean waves, longer waveperiod and a light breeze i,m pretty sure a SL must be a blast although i can,t compare them to XXL waveboards like the Goya118 or Nuevo110.
Got a Starboard WP8.10 as well. nice sup that you can sail, but as a windsurfer very limited and imo not as good as the SL. Too much rocker to plane and a bit sketchy in the the faster turns due its thickness.

Thanks for all the info Jeroensurf. Very useful thank you.

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
8 Jul 2014 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeroensurf said...

Hey man

I'm trying to decide between the Sea Lion 8'3 or the XL. At 85kgs, which one would you recommend? Unfortunately I can't trail any here in Oz.

DanP
VIC, 286 posts
8 Jul 2014 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

I'd just like to let you all know how much of a bad influence you all are...

As a result of this thread i'm now the proud owner of a 9'2" Fanatic AllWave AND a 101ltr SSD Quad. At 80kg i reckon i've got my light wind wavesailing gear sorted now... and... I've got 1 unhappy wife with 2 additions to the shed!!

oryx
QLD, 46 posts
11 Jul 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

I've ordered a 9" XL Sea Lion. It might take a while to get to Oz but I will post my thoughts after I have a couple of windsurfs on it. Thanks for everyone's input

northy1
430 posts
24 Nov 2014 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

so are you happy with the Sea lion?

I went out yesterday in nice 2-4 foot ground swell, and id guess 8-10 knots (there was a really good kiter out at same time on a 12m and they were struggling - it was liiiight)on my Allwave Sup (160 liters) and 5.3, and was a doddle (85kg) and lots of fun - BUT it doesnt turn on a wave like a waveboard thats fore sure.

Anyone ridden both the 2014/15 Goya 118 AND the Nuevo 120 comment??

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 Starboard 8'10" started by oryx