Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2015 Atlas Wave sail

Created by ULF > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2014
ULF
QLD, 261 posts
11 Nov 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Had a few runs on the 2015 Atlas 6.2 as a bump and jump rig. Mostly used with a 2014 JP FSW 101. A really good set up. Some things work very well together and this definitely is one of them.
Perfect for lumpy conditions. The clew never catches and the power is smooth and easy. None of that twichy feel I've experienced on other rigs in the past.
I run the the thruster set up in the FSW 101 as I found the single option can spin out in the lulls. The side fins keep it together. Fins are 27 Stock and two stock 10cms. If going single with this size sail I use a 32.
Here are a few pics for anyone interested in this kit.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
11 Nov 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good ULF.

Rob11
240 posts
12 Nov 2014 4:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ULF said..

Is the sail rigged on the proper mast? The leech looks really tight especially on 2nd batten from top.

ULF
QLD, 261 posts
12 Nov 2014 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Yes it's on a NP 430 X6 RDM, I had the downhaul slightly out as the wind was on the lighter side and I wanted the leach tighter. Good pickup :) Came into shore a bit later and reefed it down 5mm.

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
6 Dec 2014 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Very weak sail. No reinforcing in main window. I put my flat hand through one in a low wind day.

The severne blade and gastra manic are so superior it's not funny. Stonger. Bigger range. Point upwind more.

barbarian
NSW, 218 posts
6 Dec 2014 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said..

The severne blade and gastra manic are so superior it's not funny. Stonger. Bigger range. Point upwind more.

yes, but can you loop them?
serious question.

NordRoi
643 posts
7 Dec 2014 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
barbarian said..

Yuppy said..

serious question.

Gaastra Manic HD...the regular manic...I ripped a sail...and it was not that big.

Mark _australia
WA, 22414 posts
7 Dec 2014 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone using an Atlas still on the old X-Combat RDM?

My 2011 model 6.2 rigs funny. Upper leech too loose at rec downhaul, and the boom setting is 3 - 5cm less (should be 189, I set boom to 188 and can't outhaul the clew past about 186. That setting also looks about right, with sail not quite touching boom)

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
7 Dec 2014 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Anyone using an Atlas still on the old X-Combat RDM?

My 2011 model 6.2 rigs funny. Upper leech too loose at rec downhaul, and the boom setting is 3 - 5cm less (should be 189, I set boom to 188 and can't outhaul the clew past about 186. That setting also looks about right, with sail not quite touching boom)

I have had 5.8, 09, 11, 13 and a 14 my most used sail and always rigged on a 430 X combat without noticing anything like you describe.

I asked NP if the xcombats have the same bend curves as the current masts and they said bend curves have not changed.

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
7 Dec 2014 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
barbarian said..

Yuppy said..

serious question.

If my gonads were bigger I could loop anything.

My forward loop count is still one and a lot of halves. The one was on a manic.

The range on the atlas is quite small so the wind has to be spot on to get planning but not feel over powered.

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
7 Dec 2014 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said..
Very weak sail. No reinforcing in main window. I put my flat hand through one in a low wind day.

Why the red thumbs?

Did I offend someone?

Im just giving an honest opinion.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
7 Dec 2014 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said...
Yuppy said..

Why the red thumbs?

Did I offend someone?

I've used the Atlas extensively and it has a better wind range then any Severne I've tried (blade/S1)...The only one that ever came close was the Gator.

....My honest opinion

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
7 Dec 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Mark, I ran the x-combat 400 & 430 in the Altas (4.7-5.8 only) up to and including 2014 with no issue.

Cheers.

Mark _australia
WA, 22414 posts
7 Dec 2014 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said..

Yuppy said..

Why the red thumbs?

Did I offend someone?

Probably because the mono and skin tension makes it a crisp stable foil which many people like. It my be weaker (once creased and if hit like you did) but for some people that is an adequate tradeoff for the handling

Also I bet an Atlas goes upwind better than those two

But I didn't redthumb ya

Thanks to JH also

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
16 Dec 2014 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I used to have a pair of NP Alphas - the old name for Atlas.

I found they pointed upwind well and were both powerful and fast. Almost a magic, all-round sail.
However when they were overpowered the draft moved waaaay back and the whole sail just felt completely bent out of shape. And this happened very suddenly.
Also they were ****ing noisy. Like to the point it was irritating.
You can't have it all.

Anyway, how are these when overpowered? I've changed to SuperFreaks which are a completely different sail, and even like being overpowered.

Also - the entire setup looks awesome.

stehsegler
WA, 3472 posts
16 Dec 2014 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evlPanda said..
I used to have a pair of NP Alphas - the old name for Atlas.

You'll find the Alpha and Atlas is a very different sail. The second generation Atlas was considerably lighter than the first one and the characteristics of the sail changed with that. The latest Atlas sails in the bigger sizes are more free oriented then wave sails in my opinion.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
19 Dec 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said..

Was it possibly a cooked sail?

ULF
QLD, 261 posts
7 Jan 2015 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
20 Jan 2015 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..
Yuppy said..

Was it possibly a cooked sail?

Yes. I think it was left out in the sun a bit. It was a hire sail. But the pressure I put on it was extremely soft: an open hand in a no wind situation to pop the batten to the other side.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Atlas Wave sail" started by ULF