Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2015 Loftsails Switchblade

Created by lao shi > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2015
lao shi
SA, 1299 posts
9 Jan 2015 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Got to use my other new toy today a 6.8 Switchblade and also to try Steve's 7.3.
http://www.loftsails.com/products/sails/switchblade
www.facebook.com/StevesSurfShed
Rigged on my trusty Powerex 430 rdm 85% with the supplied rdm cams. Little bit of batten tension required but no spacers yet.
Marked boom of 206 appeared too long so set at 202. Downhauled on a Severne extension to 28cm but probably needs a bit more.

I didn't get a 2013 but here are the 2012 (6.3) and 2011(7) Blades as a comparison. In terms of difference, the sensitip went in 2013 you can see the smaller luff pocket and perhaps a bit more luff curve. Shape at the bottom looks similar. 1 less batten and cam (3)

Went with Blue this year to give me a colour coordinated combo! The last couple of years the 6.3 has often felt a bit small for the wind we have been getting in WA so I went for the 6.8. Paired here with a Mistral Slalom 91.

This sail is a bit lower aspect with the absence of the Sensitip. It feels more powerful low down. As always rotates sweetly on the rdm and feels well balanced and easy to sail. Construction looks good with a bit more monofilm than the earlier blades.
When I tried Steve's set up on the SDM (7.3) it set deeper at the mast and felt more back handed and certainly had more drive but harder work to sail. Personally as a shorter (176cm) lighter (75 kg) sailor I prefer the feeling of the rdm set up. I don't feel I have to muscle the sail and it is comfortable to sail with.

Steve rigging the 7.8 on SDM.

If you are a heavier sailor or serious slalom racer I would go SDM. If you are lighter the rdm is really nice to sail with and gives a great wind range with some tuning.
Started off with a 32 Goldwing in the 91 which was a bit small for this sail so switched to a 36 Falcon which was good.
Can't wait to try it at the upper end of its wind range!
Video of Steve in action

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
9 Jan 2015 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Great review! Thanks for that

Soul
13 posts
7 Mar 2015 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi .

Great looking sail
How do the Switchblade rig on the SDM mast .Is it easy too rig? and also easy to putt on and of of the cams ??

sold my rblade 2014 7.8 and mast .
want oot buy new .But still not shore what too take the Rblade 7.8 2015 + SDM mast. Or Switchblade 7.8 with SDM.
My weight is 108kg , sailing on noordsea and Grevelingen(Lake).

Have you maybe more pictures of the Switchblade rig on the SDM mast???
thansk for the answer.

regards,martin

lao shi
SA, 1299 posts
11 Mar 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Martin,
All the pictures of Steve (after the first 5) are on an SDM mast.
Steve did not appear to have any problems rigging but I have not rigged on SDM myself.
I had a go on his 7.3 on the SDM and it was more back hand pull and powerful. Definitely better for a heavier rider. I prefer the RDM more neutral, softer feel @ 75kg
I have had one sail in powered up conditions on the 6.8 and the switchblade does not feel as stable as the blade being pushed hard upwind in overpowered conditions but otherwise felt great.

Soul
13 posts
14 Mar 2015 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the input.
I had made up my mind. And this weekend im going too pickup my new 7.8 8.6 rblade incl TE 460 and 8.6 Mast.

I have the switchblade from 2012.
thinking too goo for the Switchblade 2015 in 6.8 later.

lao shi
SA, 1299 posts
16 Apr 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Steve I now have the Loft 75% rdm to try with the switchblade.
Here is the first rig. Looks pretty similar to the powerex

Perhaps a bit smoother fall away in the head of the sail and perhaps a bit more depth. Now need some wind to try it.
Now equipped with colour coordinated stickers!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Loftsails Switchblade" started by lao shi