Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2015 Neil Pryde Combat

Created by westozwind > 9 months ago, 23 Jan 2015
westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
23 Jan 2015 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

I have now used the 4.5, 5.0 and 5.3 2015 combats in both metro slop and mid-west wave conditions now. I have upgraded from the 2012 combats which were all 5 batten. I had been a 5 batten wave sail fanatic.

My previous run in with 4 batten wave sails was back in 2001 with a Core, and that was not a rewarding experience. With 3 batten wave sail now coming into existence and with at least 14 years of development of the 4 batten variety it was time to give it another go (5.3 and 5.6 are 5 batten).

These sails are way different to the 2012 models. The 5.3 is 9 cm longer in the luff and 2 cm shorter in the boom than the 2012 model.

Excellent build quality I have come to expect from Neil Pryde and new materials make it a tough sail. Time will tell on the durability front. Not the lightest on the scales (as compared to the quoted weight of some Severne sails) but this is due to the high quality of the build and the quality touches such as twin stitched seams, rubber foot piping, moulded tack faring and cover, reinforced clew, moulded head faring and nice little loop in the head to put a screwdriver through when derigging (really easy to get the mast out). The batcam batten adjustment is still the easiest and best system ever invented.

First go on the 5.0 was a rewarding experience. Metro slop conditions and wind that saw lighter guys out on 5.3-5.5 sails. They usually rig smaller than me but I did have an 85 Ltr board compared to their 78’s. Rigged the 5.0 as my wife was sailing as well and it was easier to share.
I was impressed by the low end power of this sails that got me going when others were on bigger rigs. It’s got forward pull and feels more “grunty” than the 2012 model. The power seems to be low down on the sail and does not upset your balance when hit by gusts.

Mid west wave sailing with the 4.5 and 5.3 was happy, happy, joy, joy time. The low end power is great off the beach for early planning and getting through the break, but I thought this may hinder the ability to turn off when wave riding. It’s no Zone (My favourite wave sail of all time) when it comes to depower on the wave, but does a really good job going light in the hands on the wave, a little low down pull does help keep the rail engaged. I am not a great aerialist (my back loop attempts are more back splat!), but the soft feel means that I can get away with dodgy landings that may have seen more spectacular crashes in the past.
So, yep, very happy with my new Combats : )

Have I tried any other brands recently? Had 10 days on Gaastra’s in Maui last year and a few sails on some Ezzy’s. Still love my Neil Pryde sails.

dextersurf
SA, 114 posts
23 Jan 2015 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Some photos would be great!

westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
25 Jan 2015 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Only got this one at the mo, but will take a few more next time.

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
26 Jan 2015 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Couple shots of 4.7 and 5.3 2015 Combats in HD version

Green Thumb for WestOz's review, super happy with my 2015 combats

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Neil Pryde Combat" started by westozwind