Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2017 NoveNove Chameleon 93L wave board review

Created by windaddict > 9 months ago, 30 Nov 2017
windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
30 Nov 2017 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

So, I decided to try something different to replace my JP single thruster 93L, after looking at all that was currently available I decided to get a NoveNove Chameleon 93L (to replace my big wave board), I was close to getting a Severne Nano, also liked the fanatic grip. I demo'd the nano and found it had a slow top speed (stock fins), the Chameleon has a very similar shape to the old fanatic triwave (which I have used a lot in Maui) and felt equally as fast as the JP. The price was far more attractive than the fanatic, so decided to give NoveNove a try.

First impressions, the shape of the Chameleon looks far more radical, than my old JP. Rails seem slightly more parallel, it has a more compact length, and the rear foot strap is further back over the tail which is a swallow shape. What was really noticeable was that the default stance is wider. I put the straps in the same positions as on my JP. Having the stance wider I feel it gives me better leverage to do rail to rail transitions on the face. Thus far I have only used it with stock thruster fins and it is very apparent that this board is much looser, quicker and can turn sharper on the wave and in carving gybes as compared to the JP.

The board has 5 x slotboxes, I've ordered some MUF 15.5 xtri rears and 9 xquad fronts to try out, it comes with MFC 18 rear and 11 fronts.

I've always found JP wave boards to have fast top end and quick to get up to plane, the Chameleon is definitely equal to this task, I should point out that I am ~72 kgs and I mostly use a 5.0 in 15 to 22 knots for this board. The only criticism I have would be the graphics, nice but a little plain for my liking (but that is of course subjective to individual taste). However the 2018 models look very nice indeed while retaining the same shape.

In conclusion, I was getting a bit bored with the conservative shapes that JP have been offering of late and found it wanting to straight line when turning on bigger waves, I am more than thrilled with my new board, it definitely is more lively and fun on lighter days in the waves.
NoveNove don't have much of a presence in Aus, but they are definitely worth a look at!

If your in Vic, more than happy to give you a go if you meet up with me some time.

Here are some pics (not by me though).

Tallboy
14 posts
1 Dec 2017 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board. Not seen many around in the UK but they are getting some good reviews. Bit fed up with the quality of boards coming out of the Thailand factory so starting to look at alternatives now. Is the board made in Italy? Any pics of your 93? 93 would be a high wind board for me at 90kg

windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
2 Dec 2017 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tallboy said..
Nice looking board. Not seen many around in the UK but they are getting some good reviews. Bit fed up with the quality of boards coming out of the Thailand factory so starting to look at alternatives now. Is the board made in Italy? Any pics of your 93? 93 would be a high wind board for me at 90kg

Hi Tallboy, I am not sure if they are made in Italy, my feel is they are most likely made in the cobra factory like all the others?

Here are a few pics of my 93 in action at sandy point, waves were about 2-4 ft with 20 knots of wind

Tallboy
14 posts
2 Dec 2017 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Nice!
Is that pipe lagging round the mast ? Nose on my Goya is not looking good at the moment :(
Next issue of www.windsurfingukmag.co.uk/ is supposed to have a review of the 93
Here is a pic of Tez (the Editor) testing it

windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
3 Dec 2017 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

I will look out for the UK review, it will be interesting to see what there conclusions are. I think the graphics look great for the '18, particularly the 93 having the green color! kinda wish I waited, but then again, I got the 17 at a great price as it was on sale due to the impending 18 coming out.

That is my nose guard yes, its just a length of PVC pipe with a narrow strip cut out so it fits tightly over my RDM, and a piece of pool noodle glued onto it. Works a treat, is easily removable, and costs $10 to make. PM me if you want some pics of it and the measurements etc.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2017 NoveNove Chameleon 93L wave board review" started by windaddict