Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2018 NeilPryde Combat Wave Sails

Created by westozwind > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2018
westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
8 Jan 2018 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

I have had the pleasure of sailing the 2018 NeilPryde Combats for the last month in the waves and coastal blasting. Primarily the 5.3, 4.7 and 4.2. These replaces my 2015 combats. These sails are noticeably lighter. I cannot quantify this statement as I did not do a before and after weight comparison, but they feel lighter. Build quality is up to the usual NeilPryde standard. There is nothing easier than the batcam batten adjustment system for fine tuning a few wrinkles out when rigging the sail for the first time. North's visual tuning system (min & max markers on the top panel) patent must have expired as these sails have this system which makes for quick and easy tuning when rigging.
All sails are 4 batten and the draft stability is excellent. I think 4 is the new 5 as 3 batten wave sails become standard for the hard core wave sailors. Power is nicely locked is and you can feel gusts accelerating your board, not pulling you off balance. On the wave, the depower in the back hand is very good. The lightness is most appreciated when jumping (or splatting, which I am better at.) as the lower swing weight makes it easier to move the sail around. Sails have done very well against my splatting with no visible damage to date (touch wood!).
Another bonus is that Reg at Windsurfing Perth has a custom colour scheme for these sails. No pink for me. Just Aussie green and gold
Very happy with my new toys!

Faff
VIC, 1191 posts
8 Jan 2018 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice! I wonder if North still holds the patent for the harness VTS.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2018 NeilPryde Combat Wave Sails" started by westozwind