Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2018 Severne Nano 93

Created by Acker > 9 months ago, 4 Feb 2018
Acker
VIC, 82 posts
4 Feb 2018 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Totally loving this board from Severne and Zu Boardsports - really is one of the most versatile boards I've ever used. Have had it out in a variety of waves and it's super loose with extremely responsive back foot dynamics, allowing very late critical turns many wave boards would be too late to make. Twin fin setup good in stronger cross-on jumping conditions with a real skatey feel and thruster setup if you need more drive heading out, but quad set up is by far the best, offering drive, speed and looseness.

What I'm really loving is I can take it everywhere - small waves, big waves, bump'n'jump blasting and even freestyle moves. At 80kg, I've tried the 83 too which is no doubt more nimble in windier waves, so may consider both.

Here's a vid I put together of some blasting and looping down at Elwood beach. For anyone thinking of a blasting board, here's a good option that has so much more to offer than a regular freeride or freewave board.

cheers,
Andy

uweh
311 posts
4 Feb 2018 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

bloody good video

Stev0
419 posts
9 Feb 2018 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Nice review. Given what you know about the Nano 93 and 83 - if like me a handy wave sailor but you had to sail onshore small waves with a 5.3 and 5.0 about 80% of the time @85kg would you go 93 or 83?...

Acker
VIC, 82 posts
10 Feb 2018 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely 93 if 85kg, 5.3-5.0 and onshore. You may also need thruster fin setup if need more planing drive off the fin in onshore, but not as loose as quad setup.

Stev0
419 posts
11 Feb 2018 5:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice!

Found a review! https://www.severneshop.com/nano-lon...review-neil-g/

So Ive now had my Severne Nano 93 for 3 months after getting it in July but sadly not having any wind for 3 weeks to give her the first outing. Now we are well and truly into the Autumn storm season I feel its time (after 7 sessions) to open the lid on one of the best kept secrets in the windsurfing world.

The Board:
So the Severne Nano is essentially a Stubby Wave board to replace the NuEvo range which Severne, not Starboard, designed but that was initially marketed under Starboards Brand name. Its straighter rails and much shorter length grabs the headlines but theres much more important stuff to tell in this story. Its 'V' shape in the board is up to 21mm.. thats massive compared to most other boards but means the board is exceptional through chop and messy water states - so much so the rider feels they can fully rely on this board when things get unpredictable. The shoulders of the board (the inner rails 1/3 back from the nose) have mini semi rails which again stream the water flow to ensure the Nano is a dependable board to sail when things get messy.
The other key difference between the new Severne boards and ALL other boards is that Ben Severne and his team looked for nearly a year to find another factory to construct their new boards to gain better build quality - a much needed improvement in my view!!. After using my board for three months there is definitely a better finish to the board. Minor scrapes on the rails don't show on the new Nano unlike previous boards of other brands which mark just by looking at them. Footstraps and fins also feel good quality and finish the board nicely. The footstrap options are more limited than other brands being 25mm aprt apposed to 15mm on others, but the strap does have reversible plates to enable better small foot fit.

To Sail:
The first thing every sailor must adapt to is the very short length. If you've never had a multi fin board then the adaption may be a challenge but if you've sailed multi fin boards before and are used to evenly weighting your front and back foot on the board then after 30minutes you'll love the feel of the Nano. The Nano 93 I have feels smaller than 93 litres - it sails like a 86ltr board ( My normal choice of size) which means when choosing your Severne Nano you choose the size bigger than you normally would.
When sailing the Nano I find it loves best to sailed with a 4.7 or 4.4 sail (in my case S-1 pros) rather than 5.6 and above - its a personal thing, and don't get me wrong it sails very well with a 5.6 but on a 4.7 it just releases and flows exceptionally in waves and on Bump & Jump conditions. You grow into this board and once in love it you become addicted to it. Yes its slower than say a Starboard Freewave Kode 86 but then its also looser - not just generally looser but because you stand more over the board it encourages you to sheet out and then carve the board on and off the wave. Look, I love it as a wavy Freewave - if its a Freestlewave youre looking for then the Severne Dyno is set to fill that void next year with a slightly longer and wider Nano shape which will have multi fin or single fin options. But for UK waves and the sailor who needs more than just a Freestylewave (which I for one feels sometimes lacks the feedback I require from a board in the name of making the sailor look better than they really are!) then the Nano is right up your street.

Conclusion:
The Nano is a fantastic UK wave board which is coming into the UK in very limited numbers. We have even found that our first allocation of boards has widely sold back into Europe as the media out there have said very good things about the Nano. And thats my point - the UK media has yet to see the Nano but respected commentators such as Peter Hart and Simon Bornhoft are Tweeting great things about their demo boards.. and thats the issue - the board is in my view the best kept secret in the UK windsurfing scene at the moment because of a rather slow media plan from Severne themselves. But there - Thats what we have - all I can say is make sure if you like the sound of what I say about the Nano then buy one!... yes buy one now as it will not be available in great numbers and those lucky enough to get one will not regret it!

Stev0
419 posts
11 Feb 2018 5:43AM
Thumbs Up

SEVERNE NANO 83L 2018 TEST REVIEW

www.windsurf.co.uk/test/severne-nano-83l-2018-test-review/

THE LOW-DOWN
News of the Nano reached us in the autumn of 2016, missing the cut off for our 2017 compact wave-board test. Fast-forward to 2018, and their form remains unchanged, Severne adopting a two-year life cycle for both design and graphics. Shaped in Western Australia by James Hooper of Nude Boards fame, it has a very distinct shape, with some unique features. Firstly, the outline is super compact - the shortest in length and width here, with a cut-off nose and parallel rails, which then exhibit a noticeable step in their outline by the front of the back-strap, before finishing in an angular swallowtail. The board's volume is focussed in the centre of the board, with both the nose and tail whittled down in profile. But that tells only half the story. Whilst the deck is relatively flat in the nose and around the track, it is massively domed in the tail, leading to some of the thinnest rails we have ever seen. This gives rise to what Severne are calling their 'progressive rails', where their profile becomes steadily fuller towards the nose. The resulting trim is said to be set "automatically when turning - the front rides safe and high, while the tail bites and drives through the turn." Produced exclusively in China, the Nano comes with a self-regulating Gore-Tex air-valve and supplied with Severne's own Velcro footstraps, thick 10mm dual density pads and G10 fins. Interestingly, Severne classes the fin-boxes as Slot boxes, yet use a small Allen key for tightening and have a locating bar in the front of the box. The concept is excellent for ensuring the fins are secure and positioned correctly.

BRAND CLAIM
"Inspired by Tomo's new-school surfboards, the Nano is a fresh wave-sailing sensation . Initially conceived as a small wave, onshore biased design, the Nano proved to be so much more . Fast enough for onshore, stable enough for high speed, down-the-line wall rides. And then with the option of Thruster drive and power or Quad manoeuvrability."

PERFORMANCE
The most obvious compact design in the group, the Nano will take a little getting used to if you've not used to a 'compressed' wave-board designbefore, yet carries weight well and responds quickly to positive input. Push power into it and the Nano releases easily, accelerating rapidly to an impressive speed. With its narrow parallel rails, it has quite a gunny nature, blasting out through a break as the pronounced vee and concaves underneath temper the ride over confused seas. Its nose and shoulders sit high and clear of trouble, allowing the rider to really commit and keep the pressure on through the sail. The ride is also very comfortable, the thick deckpads and soft Severne straps providing plenty of traction, although the standard stance is a little narrower than on other boards, reflective of the Nano's super compact nature. On the wave the Severne is one of the loosest boards in the group. The massive dome in the tail of the board means that it transitions smoothly and progressively, but increase the pressure through the backfoot and the thin rails bite so effectively that it can be forced into the tightest pivoting turn. It really flatters the rider, enabling them to adjust the turn instantly, making up for any mistiming on the wave. We did try it in a quad setup, but felt the extra drive and lift provided by the thrusters supplied complimented the board better in the conditions we encountered.

THE VERDICT
A unique shape with lots of interesting features, the Nano provides a fast, loose and comfortable ride, with razor sharp response through its tail. It extols the true virtues of modern 'compact' wave-board design and will push a rider's wave riding to the next level.

Stev0
419 posts
11 Feb 2018 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Acker said..
Totally loving this board from Severne and Zu Boardsports - really is one of the most versatile boards I've ever used. Have had it out in a variety of waves and it's super loose with extremely responsive back foot dynamics, allowing very late critical turns many wave boards would be too late to make. Twin fin setup good in stronger cross-on jumping conditions with a real skatey feel and thruster setup if you need more drive heading out, but quad set up is by far the best, offering drive, speed and looseness.

What I'm really loving is I can take it everywhere - small waves, big waves, bump'n'jump blasting and even freestyle moves. At 80kg, I've tried the 83 too which is no doubt more nimble in windier waves, so may consider both.

Here's a vid I put together of some blasting and looping down at Elwood beach. For anyone thinking of a blasting board, here's a good option that has so much more to offer than a regular freeride or freewave board.

cheers,
Andy

I sailed powered up 5.3/5.0 as rig for onshore sailing and used to short sub-230cm boards. There is a comment in one of the reviews that is interesting saying a 93L prefers small sails: "a 4.7 or 4.4 sail (in my case S-1 pros) rather than 5.6 and above - its a personal thing, and don't get me wrong it sails very well with a 5.6 but on a 4.7 it just releases and flows exceptionally in waves and on Bump & Jump conditions."

I wonder if the short length makes the Nano 93 a bit sticky with bigger sails in the 5.3-6.2 range?

This is a nugget that may help me with deciding on board size: "The Nano 93 I have feels smaller than 93 litres - it sails like a 86ltr board ( My normal choice of size) which means when choosing your Severne Nano you choose the size bigger than you normally would."

Is 93 the new 86? 93 seems pretty big volume for powered up 5.0 wavesailing but the narrow width may make it feel smaller?

seabreezer
377 posts
11 Feb 2018 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

STevo - this is an absolute no-brainer as far as Im concerned ... AT LEAST the 93 ltrs NANO , I wouldnt even consider the 83 .... (note I havnt sailed nano , but other stubbys )

Im 76kgs .... I ride a 60cm x 215 stubby x 99 in onshore stuff ... and absolutely would take a big size stubby EVERY TIME on 5.0 & 5.3 ..... Sideshore I ride all volumes down to 75 / 55.5cm , but side-on I just love volume and tail power .... You want to put planing flow and power (options! ) under your feet for side-on lame small beachbreaks ... If you take too small a board - you will have to max out your sail power - which is ok for frontside riding x-on , but hinders the jumping control ... Upsizing board you take the pressure off that sail maxing - ie - the board tail width and power is doing alot of the planing work for getting frontside and jumps - NOT the sail ....

5.0 / 5.3 will be ok on nano 83 ... but the 93 will carry them so much better and not pinch down on that short length ....

uweh
311 posts
11 Feb 2018 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

is the severne slot box really nearly the same like the starbox from starboard ?

Stev0
419 posts
12 Feb 2018 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
STevo - this is an absolute no-brainer as far as Im concerned ... AT LEAST the 93 ltrs NANO , I wouldnt even consider the 83 .... (note I havnt sailed nano , but other stubbys )

Im 76kgs .... I ride a 60cm x 215 stubby x 99 in onshore stuff ... and absolutely would take a big size stubby EVERY TIME on 5.0 & 5.3 ..... Sideshore I ride all volumes down to 75 / 55.5cm , but side-on I just love volume and tail power .... You want to put planing flow and power (options! ) under your feet for side-on lame small beachbreaks ... If you take too small a board - you will have to max out your sail power - which is ok for frontside riding x-on , but hinders the jumping control ... Upsizing board you take the pressure off that sail maxing - ie - the board tail width and power is doing alot of the planing work for getting frontside and jumps - NOT the sail ....

5.0 / 5.3 will be ok on nano 83 ... but the 93 will carry them so much better and not pinch down on that short length ....

Thanks for your advice mate! I have a quiver of waveboards from a Starboard Kombat 95L and Black Box 87L, Mistral Twiner 84L, 74L custom Quad. I use the 87L Black Box a lot as it rips front side onshore riding but it sucks at jumping in onshore. My 2009 Mistral twinzer is just a gem of a board and when it is full power <5.0 and bigger waves or side shore I love it. My Kombat 95 doesn't get used much as it is more for bump'n'jump which I don't sail as much. I think the 93 Nano might take over from the 87L and give a faster ride and better jumping with maybe as good onshore riding?...

seabreezer
377 posts
14 Feb 2018 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Stevo - think the windsurf test saying Nano was one of the loosest boards - bodes well for upsizing to 93 , ... theres a pretty good chance it will beat blackbox in most departments ... and absolutely WHIP the kombat ... maybe you should foil the kombat ... and keep blackbox for windier days or when you need a bit more rail 'hold' as the BB does have nice thin rails in the back that can handle some chop/power ... Ive used BB lots before .... my current stubby is much more versatile - more easy float , MUCH more pop into stuff like wave shakas / backloops etc , much better at stuff like takas etc (BB really thin tail rails are terrible at rotational stuff) ... way easier to punch out over whitewater etc ... and has a faster more lively ride ... essential for keeping easy speed for jumping x-on , much better getting upwind ... my current stubby is probably the most ' fun' board I've ever owned - they just rip around the break doing everything so well in crap conditions ...

Stev0
419 posts
21 Feb 2018 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
Hi Stevo - think the windsurf test saying Nano was one of the loosest boards - bodes well for upsizing to 93 , ... theres a pretty good chance it will beat blackbox in most departments ... and absolutely WHIP the kombat ... maybe you should foil the kombat ... and keep blackbox for windier days or when you need a bit more rail 'hold' as the BB does have nice thin rails in the back that can handle some chop/power ... Ive used BB lots before .... my current stubby is much more versatile - more easy float , MUCH more pop into stuff like wave shakas / backloops etc , much better at stuff like takas etc (BB really thin tail rails are terrible at rotational stuff) ... way easier to punch out over whitewater etc ... and has a faster more lively ride ... essential for keeping easy speed for jumping x-on , much better getting upwind ... my current stubby is probably the most ' fun' board I've ever owned - they just rip around the break doing everything so well in crap conditions ...

Interesting feedback on the BB which I have sailed a lot. I am 85kg and I find the 87L BB terrible in choppy conditions (slow and bouncy) especially in proper DTL conditions due to the tail width - usually when 5.0 is full-maxed out. I then chop down to my trusty '09 84L Mistral Twinzer which is a great partner for the BB.
I am thinking of converting the BB to a foil board to see if the wide tail will work for foiling but a bit of a gamble.
Will sell the old 95 Kombat tri-fin conversion if I get the 93 Nano.
I guess I am still getting my head around that a 93L Nano won't feel too big in fully powered up 5.0 and x-onshore conditions compared to the 87L BB which starts getting bouncy in those conditions too? i.e. feel a bit overboarded.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2018 Severne Nano 93" started by Acker