Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2018 Simmer style 2XC

Created by Adam555 > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2018
Adam555
WA, 162 posts
11 Nov 2018 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Had the opportunity to trial new (fresh out of the packet) 2018 7.1m Simmer 2XC - the twin cam

As a guy that has Neil pryde in my veins this was a big step into the unknown!!
In short great sail, very easy to use and surprisely good

Conditions :- 15-18 knots (according to seabreeze) sailor avge ability-85kg, board 125l rocket

Pros/ cons below
negative
- slight humming/ vibration from around the boom cutout that was a bit distracting but am certain easily fixed
- perhaps a bit small for wind conditions/ my weight but I planed almost the entire session

positives
- very easy to rig/ derig and rigged well on NP 100% carbon mast plus downhaul force required wasn't insane
- very very stable when gusts came through and powered up nicely ie you just leaned on the harness with more weight as the gusts came through
- very very easy cam rotation this was perhaps the best bit and made gybes easy

Thanks very much to Jesper at Sail Repairs WA for the opportunity to try !

Swindy
WA, 454 posts
11 Nov 2018 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

I initially got the 6.5 to learn to foil with and was so impressed with it got the 7.1 and the 7.8. They are so light and easy to use and as Adam said the rotation is faultless on all 3 of them. Just because they are light doesnt mean they will fall appart quickly either, the construction and quality of materials is top notch as with any of the simmer range. They come supplied with an rdm cam so you can use either rdm or sdm. Recently i have been using them for windsurfing in choppy conditions rather than my race sails untill my fitness improves as they are so good to use and not noticeably slower.
I would have got the smaller sizes as well but went for the Enduro instead as they will be good for foiling in stronger wind and a bit of bump and jump on the FSW.
As Adam said the only negative is the slight humming from the boom cut out which would benefit from a zip up cover. On the plus side the boom cut out is quit long making it good for really small or tall people.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8021 posts
17 Nov 2018 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Swindy said..
I initially got the 6.5 to learn to foil with and was so impressed with it got the 7.1 and the 7.8. They are so light and easy to use and as Adam said the rotation is faultless on all 3 of them. Just because they are light doesnt mean they will fall appart quickly either, the construction and quality of materials is top notch as with any of the simmer range. They come supplied with an rdm cam so you can use either rdm or sdm. Recently i have been using them for windsurfing in choppy conditions rather than my race sails untill my fitness improves as they are so good to use and not noticeably slower.
I would have got the smaller sizes as well but went for the Enduro instead as they will be good for foiling in stronger wind and a bit of bump and jump on the FSW.
As Adam said the only negative is the slight humming from the boom cut out which would benefit from a zip up cover. On the plus side the boom cut out is quit long making it good for really small or tall people.

About time manufacturers realised everyone isn't 6" plus..

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2018 Simmer style 2XC" started by Adam555