Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2024 Starboard Ultra 110 L

Created by philn 4 months ago, 10 Apr 2024
philn
805 posts
10 Apr 2024 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

I've had the Kode for 2 months but our season has been sh..t so I haven't fully tested it yet.
Initial hands on impressions were:
It's light
it's even more gorgeous in the flesh than in pictures
the quality of the finish seems like a step up since my 2020 Kode

Initial sailing impressions are:
it took me a while to get used to the thick narrow shape - it rides a lot smaller than 110 L, feels more like < 100 L. When uphauling it feels about 105 L, probably due to the narrow width making it feel unstable.
it has a massive wind range that I was comfortable in. So far I've used it once each with a 4.0, 4.3, 4.9, 5.2 and 5.5 and twice with a 6.1. But 6.1 is pushing the low wind end, definitely no bigger. My favorite size with this board is 4.9 to 5.5.
it is very early planing
it is easy to pump onto a wave
tacking was a challenge initially. Still is, but I'm getting there
the thin nose is easier than a wider nose to get through white water
the massive nose kick is fantastic for nose first landings and for dropping down the wave face in the white water after a lip smack
starts to feel too big once the waves get above double overhead. Though I think with a slower wave that won't be an issue.
The stock fins (21 cm center and 11 cm sides) was miles too big. So far my favorite is 17 cm center and 14 cm K4 Ezzy asymmetric sides. Though I still want to try it with 16 cm sides and a 10 cm center just because someone suggested it and it sounds fun
The board bounces out on the bottom turn with the stock center but not with a smaller 17 cm center.
Doesn't do well in teeny tiny waves, needs some push in the wave to come alive.
I prefer it with front strap in front hole and back strap in back hole, stiffens it up a lot by moving back foot to forward hole
Even with back strap in front hole I wasn't overwhelmed with its onshore performance. It's not that it's bad (early planing is fantastic), it's just that I have other boards (eg the 1st generation of the Quatro Mini Thruster) that are better in onshore waves.
I really like it in cross shore conditions. I haven't sailed it in cross off, but I think it would be the perfect board for somewhere like Pacasmayo as long as it's logo high or less - easy to pump onto a wave in slog and ride conditions, solid hold in the bottom turn on those smooth cross off waves, lots of speed for aerials, plenty of speed to get around the occasional faster section, and plenty of turning power to make the slower sections still interesting.

AlexF
494 posts
10 Apr 2024 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

What's your weight?

philn
805 posts
10 Apr 2024 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

90 kg

philn
805 posts
10 Apr 2024 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Sometimes more than 90 kg :-(

Doggerland
137 posts
11 Apr 2024 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

singlefin 21 can also be nice with this kind of floaty wave offerings

philn
805 posts
12 Apr 2024 6:07AM
Thumbs Up

Tried the board with 16 cm sides and 10 cm trailer fin and it just went sideways. Then swapped out the 10 cm for a Black Project Epic Wave 14.5 cm and it was completely grin o'clock. Was super loose on the bottom turn. Really fun. But still slid out a lot on the top turn. So I went back to 14 cm Ezzy side fins and 17 cm center. Still fairly loose but more dependable on the top turns. Then I decided to swap the 17 cm center fin for a 16 cm center fin. That was also awesome, not quite as loose as the trailer set up but more dependable on the top turn. Definitely looser on the bottom turn than the 17 cm center. I think I'm going to keep that setup as my go to for that board.

Update, sailed the 14 cm side 16 cm center again today, this time with a crazy strong long shore current down the beach. Other sailors were struggling to stay in place, but I was able to go upwind fairly well despite the tiny (compared to what I've used in the past ) fin sizes.

frankfinn
16 posts
17 Apr 2024 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Philin,

Thanks for the review. Im around the same weight as you so quite interested in this 110.
Just wondering what large wave boards you had in the past so as to compare? I have a 105 goya thruster which is great but there are times I would like something bigger for stability etc

I used the 93ltr version (starboard wave) recently and I loved it but that may not mean I would feel the same on a 110....slower etc.
S.

philn
805 posts
21 Jun 2024 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Really enjoying the Ultra with 17 cm center and 14 cm sides

gandalf99
16 posts
21 Jun 2024 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

What about that KS3 Lithium I see in first pic? How's it compare to regular KS3?

philn
805 posts
22 Jun 2024 3:54AM
Thumbs Up

The Lithium is like a KS3 but on steroids. Feels the same but lighter and easier to pump onto a wave. I've only sailed it slog and ride, and just enough to plane so far, and it feels great in those conditions. Supposed to have better gust control in high winds too, but I haven't experienced overpowered sailing with it yet. If you've tried the new North Sails, the cloth used makes the sail feel kinda similar to those sails.

gandalf99
16 posts
22 Jun 2024 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..
The Lithium is like a KS3 but on steroids. Feels the same but lighter and easier to pump onto a wave. I've only sailed it slog and ride, and just enough to plane so far, and it feels great in those conditions. Supposed to have better gust control in high winds too, but I haven't experienced overpowered sailing with it yet. If you've tried the new North Sails, the cloth used makes the sail feel kinda similar to those sails.

Thanks. Jeff said similar things. Per the website, the Lithium 4.9 is lighter than the regular 3.1, and Lithium 6.7 is lighter than regular 4.6, pretty wild....and the regular KS3 was really light to begin with. Looking forward to trying it.

Also, I had read what you said about the Quatro Power and ended up buying one, plus another one in different size later. Super helpful having these posts on this site since it's basically impossible to demo anything now. Buy for full retail and if you don't like it, good luck selling it for anything, haha...

philn
805 posts
8 Aug 2024 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

With 19 cm center and 12 cm sides. I might try with a 17.5 cm center tomorrow.

ozzimark
54 posts
9 Aug 2024 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..

Please make another thread specific to the sail! Haven't seen much first-hand experience with the lithium, or HSM sails in general...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2024 Starboard Ultra 110 L" started by philn