joe windsurf
1480 posts
10 Jun 2016 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Ezzy sails are considered "bomb proof"
i did NOT know they had "vinyl windows"
my current Hot Sails Maui Speed Freak has a PVC window
these windows stretch and work great in the summer
since I also sail in the winter on the ice, I do NOT use the HSM SPF in the cold - due to PVC
is the Ezzy vinyl window susceptible to the cold as well ??
i mean freezing cold !!

joe windsurf
1480 posts
10 Jun 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

and yes, I know if no-one answers or knows, I can ask David Ezzy directly

BSN101
WA, 2278 posts
10 Jun 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..
and yes, I know if no-one answers or knows, I can ask David Ezzy directly

One of the video of his mentions that they go a bit cloudy with fresh water & also cold. Warm it up to room temp from cold and window clears up again. Blue tinge or something. Go watch all his vids when the wind isn't blowing.

Tardy
4977 posts
10 Jun 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..
Ezzy sails are considered "bomb proof"
i did NOT know they had "vinyl windows"
my current Hot Sails Maui Speed Freak has a PVC window
these windows stretch and work great in the summer
since I also sail in the winter on the ice, I do NOT use the HSM SPF in the cold - due to PVC
is the Ezzy vinyl window susceptible to the cold as well ??
i mean freezing cold !!

thats a cold question.......i don't think It would go hard,if its similar to cheese raping which can be frozen..one way to find out is to put one in a meat freezer. what temp..are you talking
-10c?

ducati
QLD, 470 posts
11 Jun 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

This is what gives Ezzy sails their massive wind range, cutting the shape into the panels
rather than just relying on Luff curve to give it the shape

BSN101
WA, 2278 posts
11 Jun 2016 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Im beginning to like the work behind the sails. Thought & engineering and then when explained it seems to ring true. Ill have to try one now.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
11 Jun 2016 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

thats a cold question.......i don't think It would go hard,if its similar to cheese raping which can be frozen..one way to find out is to put one in a meat freezer. what temp..are you talking
-10c?

i have been known to go out in -20 C !!
have used GA, Retro, HSM Fire , etc

BSN101
WA, 2278 posts
11 Jun 2016 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..

Tardy said..

-10c?

i have been known to go out in -20 C !!
have used GA, Retro, HSM Fire , etc

booties gloves wet/dry suit beanie etc etc

poehaaa
62 posts
11 Jun 2016 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

I really like Ezzy sails for the attention to detail, making sails that last in a 'fair trade' factory, but the theory in the video
is just not what I experience in practice. A NCX for example has a rock solid pressure point and it's always forward. If I was a radical wave sailor I would definately go for an Ezzy quiver though.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
11 Jun 2016 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

am glad poehaaa has made that comment ...
local dealer says Ezzy sails lack "oomph" or power

have NOT been able to confirm or deny that for myself
on the other hand , find it hard to believe that the cambered sail like the Lion lacks power n stability ...

Tardy
4977 posts
11 Jun 2016 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't found that at all ...my Ezzy panthers are very powerful .I was using a 7.0 T 4 .went in to change and hit the waves ,put on a 6.3 panther .same power.

2 weeks ago me ,95 kg my friends 20kg lighter ..we all had 6.5 cheetahs on ,all doing the same speed ..just let the out haul out and you can really get some power if you know how to set them .I reckon the secrets in the battens used and shape of sail ,they just seem to be able to belly out more than any other sail Ive had in the last 20 years.Admittedly this new shape is a huge improvement .(2009-2016)

i would say the lion would be a powerhouse sail too.
Sailing in
-20 c Joe ,Wow .Im impressed. .how do you keep you beer warm.

Stretchy
WA, 935 posts
11 Jun 2016 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

I had an Infinity a while back and loved it. Have moved on to Koncepts and X15s since then. I like Ezzy's and am quite tempted to go back to a Cheetah or Lion 7m, as it seems I could still use my Tushy mast. What worries me is that they have dropped a batten (cost cutting masked as weight saving?) so I'm expecting they won't have the stability I would like at the top end. Am I being unfair?

Tardy
4977 posts
12 Jun 2016 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hi stretchy .that was one of my fears too.lack of stability.But after owning the 2016 cheetah s ,I know it's all about top twist and easy to use why David did it .I to have had the T4 which also has 6 battens and great top end ,and still have a x15 8 batten. So I compare .
The cheetahs are softer to use .top end is great.I ocean sail most of the time ,so appreciate the extra forgiveness in the sail ,and go even faster now because Im not fighting the sail .i just stay sheeted on even harder.

i think the extra scrim in the sail makes a difference to the shape staying firm as to normal monofilm .
yeah you are right they work perfect on the tushingham mast .I use a north 490 on my 8.5 cheetah 2015 .it rigs spot on.( constant curve)

Shifu
QLD, 1937 posts
12 Jun 2016 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..
am glad poehaaa has made that comment ...
local dealer says Ezzy sails lack "oomph" or power

have NOT been able to confirm or deny that for myself
on the other hand , find it hard to believe that the cambered sail like the Lion lacks power n stability ...

Your dealer is quite wrong. It's exactly the opposite. Bags of power and control. I'd be surprised if there were more powerful camless and twin cam sails on the market.

Stretchy
WA, 935 posts
12 Jun 2016 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Hi stretchy .that was one of my fears too.lack of stability.But after owning the 2016 cheetah s ,I know it's all about top twist and easy to use why David did it .I to have had the T4 which also has 6 battens and great top end ,and still have a x15 8 batten. So I compare .
The cheetahs are softer to use .top end is great.I ocean sail most of the time ,so appreciate the extra forgiveness in the sail ,and go even faster now because Im not fighting the sail .i just stay sheeted on even harder.

i think the extra scrim in the sail makes a difference to the shape staying firm as to normal monofilm .
yeah you are right they work perfect on the tushingham mast .I use a north 490 on my 8.5 cheetah 2015 .it rigs spot on.( constant curve)

Thanks Tardy. interesting and useful feedback, I'm very tempted

Apologies for going off topic, but another question. I'm thinking of a 7m sail, which is available in Cheetah, but not Lion. I'll take the bottom end for granted, but which would have more top end, a 7m Cheetah or a 7.5m Lion?

Tardy
4977 posts
12 Jun 2016 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Geez ...I couldn't tell ya ...never tried the lion .I just don't use cams anymore ..thats a question for David or someone who has used both .
the cheetah does have a great top end .but the lion probably has a slight edge.having cams .

cam sails generally are faster....but no cam sails are catching up ..Im just a free rider ..if your more of a speedster and don't mind cams. I would go the lion .

i don't think you would be disappointed in the 7.0 cheetah if you buy one .If you've got a fast board as well you'll fly.
But yeah strange not to a have a 2 cam 7.0 .it is the size to use this side of The world .
both look great.

Im over the moon with my nice green 7.0 .
Im telling ya it's fast.

robdddd
TAS, 167 posts
13 Jun 2016 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

great vid.... makes me fell better because I havn't rinsed my 2007 and 2008 ezzy's since new! always felt a bit guilty that I wasn't looking after them,,, not now

Tardy
4977 posts
13 Jun 2016 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stretchy said..

Tardy said..

Thanks Tardy. interesting and useful feedback, I'm very tempted

Apologies for going off topic, but another question. I'm thinking of a 7m sail, which is available in Cheetah, but not Lion. I'll take the bottom end for granted, but which would have more top end, a 7m Cheetah or a 7.5m Lion?

Sorry stretchy though you ask about a 7 .o cheetah vs 7.0 lion ,,but a 7.5 lion would without a doubt have the best top end.

Stretchy
WA, 935 posts
13 Jun 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Tardy. The reason I ask is i find my 7.6 X15 gets unbalanced and slow fairly early, when the other guys are still comfy on similar sized Overdrives. I'm 95kg and 6'4", but I never seem happy on bigger sails, so thinking about a 7m instead of 7.5. Im probably blaming my sail when I should really be blaming my rigging and sailing skill

Tardy
4977 posts
14 Jun 2016 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stretchy said..
Thanks Tardy. The reason I ask is i find my 7.6 X15 gets unbalanced and slow fairly early, when the other guys are still comfy on similar sized Overdrives. I'm 95kg and 6'4", but I never seem happy on bigger sails, so thinking about a 7m instead of 7.5. Im probably blaming my sail when I should really be blaming my rigging and sailing skill

I come and sail over west every year .a 7.0 is a great size for WA.I'm also 95 kg .
what year is your x15 mine is a 2009 it hits its speed and doesn't seem to go any faster.? It also very heavy.but has good bottom end.
the Ezzysail s are way more easy to use .I would still think of the 7.5 if that you target sail. If your next sail down is a 6.5 .but in saying that.i dont use a 7'5 over there always 5,0 6,0&7,0.most days 7,0 to start then go tothe 6,0. Yeah 7,0 you will be able to hang on longer.its a great size.

Tardy
4977 posts
30 Jun 2016 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

I have a New ,8.5 2015. same as this years model just different graphics .soft feel ,grunt ,easy to use no-cam.i use my 490 north mast . It a very light sail.

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
1 Jul 2016 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

I have had a number of cheetah's and Infinities/Lions from 2009 onwads. The last Lion I owned was a 2013 model, 7.5m. I honestly couldn't say if the Lion or Infinities were faster than the Cheetahs in the conditions I generally sail, which is reasonably rough port Philip bay conditions. They seem to be equal in top end speed based on feel and gps results in those conditions. Flat water may be a different conclusion. My only complaint is that Ezzy no longer do a 7m cambered sail as this size fits perfectly in my sail quiver. I do like the Lions for that extra bit of power in the lulls and the slightly more locked in feel.

Tardy
4977 posts
7 Jul 2016 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I know you don't have to wash them but ,it's a bit muddy at the moment .can miss me with this baby .

Shifu
QLD, 1937 posts
8 Jul 2016 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Nice sail! (but the lawn needs a trim)

Tardy
4977 posts
8 Jul 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey shifu .Yeah I know ,been to busy windsurfing rather than mowing lawns .
when its blowing I don't care if they are 1 foot high ,I've got better things to do ,( sailing)
but you know they look good .green is nice dont ya reckon .
I had the 6.5 on today ,I love winter ,it howls .
but the 7.0 and 6.5 are my main sails .I am real happy with these sails .
they are easy to use and don't over power ,which is what I look for in a sail .
And bloody fast .
I've had north warps most of my windsurfing career.but these are the go For a free rider .who likes to jump.
i don't miss those cams and love using RDM mast .

AUS 808
WA, 453 posts
9 Jul 2016 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy, is the 8.5M rigged on an RDM?
What's the Luff Length.

I'm looking to replace my 8.5M but ideally to rig on a skinny.

Tardy
4977 posts
9 Jul 2016 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Gidday Aus 808 .the sails is just hanging .not rigged.
i use a 100%490 north mast on it ,or any 490 will do .
i have used it with a 460 and 45 RDM extension .it works ok .nice and soft .
because its a big sail I do prefer the 490 .

luff 503-505
boom 227
I had mine out today in 11-15 knots ,83.8 wide 130 litre board ,barely fell off the .plane.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
9 Jul 2016 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

how much do u guys weigh ??
i use 460 RDM, but keep my 490s as SDM
have a HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak that can use RDM, but I use SDM as I am 105 kilos
am looking to go to Ezzy sails, but prefer to stay SDM on the larger sizes
especially since I already have 490 hard top, CC and flex top masts in SDM
thoughts on SDM vs RDM for heavyweights in 490 and up ??
thx

Shifu
QLD, 1937 posts
9 Jul 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Conventinal wsdom is big guys need SDM. I'm 80kg and love RMDs. I use the Ezzy masts. My largest is the 460. I don't use anything bigger than 7.5m

Tardy
4977 posts
9 Jul 2016 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..
how much do u guys weigh ??
i use 460 RDM, but keep my 490s as SDM
have a HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak that can use RDM, but I use SDM as I am 105 kilos
am looking to go to Ezzy sails, but prefer to stay SDM on the larger sizes
especially since I already have 490 hard top, CC and flex top masts in SDM
thoughts on SDM vs RDM for heavyweights in 490 and up ??
thx

Hi Joe ,nothing wrong with SDM's,I also prefer them with the bigger sizes
Im 94 kgs .
thats the beauty of Ezzy they use both .with the lion you get two sets of cams for RDM &SDM .
CC would be your best mast to use .on the ezzy,
i use a 460 naish RDM on the 7.0 hard top .works a treat .
your covered.AND Sounds like you have a good collection of mast to try on them.
they are not as fussy as some sails ,

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Anyone tried .Ezzy cheetah 2016" started by Tardy