Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Exocet Xcross 115ltres 2013?

Created by sboardcrazy > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2013
sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
30 Aug 2013 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Got to test sail the above today for the first time.
1st some background - me - female aged ,64kgs, intermediate lake sailor - I get most of my gybes + when I'm going well in flat water I can get quite a few planing gybes.
I'm after after a comfortable board to sail on those iffy days where there are large lulls and ok patches and you can have choppy lake water. I would like a bit of speed if possible as I've just joined the GPS team.
Currently have Tabou Rockets 2008 - 125 + 95 ltres.The rockets are mainly the only modern boards I've sailed since I got back into the sport 4 years ago using my old caveman waveboard.Pretty happy with them but the 125 is too big for me in the 10-18kts choppy conditions I want another board for.
I have a dodgy upper back and need to sail once a week to keep my body up to being able to sail without bad headaches the next day.That's why I'm going for something to give me TOW.

Here's what I wrote about today's session- Booragul Lake Macquarie gusty 5- 18kts NNW.

I really wanted to try the 106 Scross but only have the 115 up here at the moment. 1st impressions were it looks like an elipse- so short & wide! Its 240cm x 75ccms whereas my 125 Rocket is 245 x 69cms.6.6m 2007 KA concept + 38cms Exocet fin.
It's the first 1st wide board I've sailed . They were pretty average conditions with long lulls and gusts that weren't quite enough mostly ( should have had the 7.2m up). Seems to plane through the lulls better than the rocket , very stable , forgiving with gybes - even 'planed out' of my only fairly powered up one and that was with some dodgy footwork on the exit..Seems comfortable in chop too although Coal Point will test that as it was pretty flat today.

I had trouble getting upwind subplaning on port tack but I hadn't sailed there before and I had the old Koncept on which doesn't go upwind very well- no worries once powered up though..Fun! Even went back out for more although I had heart palps and should have come in. Didn't really get to test it for full speed .I played it safe and worked well upwind as I didn't know the area or board so I wanted to play it safe.

Think I should be able to uphaul the 7.2m on it . Easy to dive the nose subplaning compared to the rocket if you stand a bit too far forward but learnt quickly to avoid that.

Width makes it harder for me to lift onto the car and have to check that it will fit in the van but one option may be to sell the 125 and keep the 115 instead for those crappy days..
Keen to try both in better wind. Will try the 106 and decide which way to go.Like to get them both powered up in chop to compare with the rockets.Wasn't enough consistent wind today.Still pretty impressed though!

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
31 Aug 2013 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

The board is an Xcross not Scross.. I don't know how to change the title of a topic?
I did qualify my review earlier with my experience as I know a lot of board testers are pretty good and I'm average joe blow..
- Xcross (http://thewindsurfingshed.com.au/index.php/Products/Exocet/2012-Range/Freeride/XCross)
It has a long track compared to the rockets.I just put the mast foot about 2/3 of the way back at 135 mark.
I like the vent plug idea as you can't get the mastfoot in or off unless you screw it in - great to ensure you don't go in the water with an unscrewed vent but you have to remember or have good habits to unscrew at the end of the day. will add some pics when I get a chance and add more when I get to try it in choppier conditions.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
31 Aug 2013 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

is that the first fsw board you've used?

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
31 Aug 2013 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

They market it as a freeride??..
Width makes it harder for me to lift onto the car and have to check that it will fit in the van Its probably more the oversized boardbag it's in as the actual board isn't that much wider than the Rocket but a much thinner profile.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
31 Aug 2013 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

it's a fsw board. granted a big board but it's fsw at the core.

when you see the words all terrain, freemove, bump and jump that's an indicator of fsw.

the thinner rails, pin tail, deep v are all fsw design outcomes.

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
31 Aug 2013 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..
I'm after after a comfortable board to sail on those iffy days where there are large lulls and ok patches and you can have choppy lake water. I would like a bit of speed if possible as I've just joined the GPS team.

IMHO If you're after speed then you should be looking at the freerace boards.
*board Futuras, Tabou Rockets, Fanatic Rays or Sharks, JP Excite Rides etc...
FSW are great for gybing and stable at moderate speeds but you will max a FSW soon after 30knts.
The narrower pintails of the FSW will make it difficult to carry alot of sail through the gybes without stalling too.
At least the freerace boards will have a bit of rocker and maybe double concave to handle the chop and a bit wider tail to assist in improving your alphas

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
31 Aug 2013 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I found it funny you refered to yourself as an "aged female".

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
31 Aug 2013 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Gees, Exocet are really milking the X theme!!!

So there is Cross (FSW). ------------ S Cross (freeride / freerace).

And now an X Cross, must be somewhere in between the cross and the s cross ?? Hope you're following all that

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
31 Aug 2013 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

both the cross and the xcross are freewave, freestyle wave, bump and jump....or whatever they are called these days.

the cross is wave biased and the xcross is freeride biased.
www.exocet-original.com/

jamesf
NSW, 992 posts
31 Aug 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing your experience Sue. I also had a try of the board on Thursday. I agree with Gestalts assessment - really is a blown up FSW board. Very maneourable, pin tail, and fun to sail. I am 90 kg and was using it with an 8.4 race sail, so was probably operating a bit outside its design range. They also make a 130 (82 wide) and a 100 (65 wide).

Here are a few pics:

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
31 Aug 2013 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Its a very pretty board.

paddymac
WA, 936 posts
31 Aug 2013 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sue, one you might want to consider is the RRD Firemove. It's very wide for early planning, narrow tail for great gybing and plenty of shape underneath for control. Or a Patrik fsw 112. I have the 102 and it has heaps of control but still lickety split quick. Compared to a slalom board not quite as quick but if you get it sideways the soft rails are VERY forgiving and you can easily get it back together.

Hope you get something that suits.

Mark _australia
WA, 22388 posts
31 Aug 2013 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

when you see the words all terrain, freemove, bump and jump that's an indicator of fsw.

as we have been suggesting to her for a while

They handle chop better then a waveboard or a slalom board - especially if you are featherweight in 30kn on a 100L (SUE!!! ) and can still be pretty fast

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
1 Sep 2013 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

My idea of a Freestyle Wave Board is a board you can use in the surf if you want to. This requires the durability to take the munchings I will inevitably give it as well as inboard strap positions for my slow motion geriatric wave riding. I think this in not to be confused with Freemove boards, that are really smooth to ride and gybe and go quite fast but are not actually intended for wave riding. That said, they would probably go okay in small surf. I agree with Stuthepirate that FSW boards max out at about 30 knots, I know my tabou 3S does but its the most comfortable 30 knots I've done and actually more fun than 30 knots on my slalom gear. The difference here is the wind strength required to get there, the FSW takes a bit more wind to get there.

The line between FSW and freemove is pretty thin but I made sure I was on the right side of it for my needs. I wanted that minimal bit of wave sailing option so I went for a tabou 3S. My tabou will lose to a freemove in a straight line most of the time but that's okay I have an absolute blast on it. FSW/freemoves are my favourite type of boards and sod the slalom gear.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
1 Sep 2013 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paddymac said..

Hey Sue, one you might want to consider is the RRD Firemove. It's very wide for early planning, narrow tail for great gybing and plenty of shape underneath for control. Or a Patrik fsw 112. I have the 102 and it has heaps of control but still lickety split quick. Compared to a slalom board not quite as quick but if you get it sideways the soft rails are VERY forgiving and you can easily get it back together.

Hope you get something that suits.

I used a Rrd fire move as a rental in new cal and was very impressed. It had good speed, it was great through chop and almost gybed itself.

I recently got a Patrick slalom and compared to my previous and other slalom boards it feels more like a free ride.

I've had a cross for a number of years (use it in rough stuff or waves ) and it's a Great board with good speed in really rough stuff but in flat water speed is average. Definitely the s cross is the go if you want some speed, Remi has used one for good results in slalom racing.

Ive said this before and I'll say it again. If you want a fast, easy smooth board then try a Fanatic hawk from a few years back. You can get slalom board speed out of them and well behaved. Also they are a a bit narrower that the current crop of boards.

The Windsurfing Shed
NSW, 294 posts
1 Sep 2013 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

The Exocet XCross is indeed a freemove. It has some features of a FSW with thin rails (as thin as a wave board) and pin tail but the rocker line of a slalom board for speed, looser than the SCross (Freeride/Freerace) and more locked in than the Cross (FSW).

In comparison the SCross (Freeride/freerace) will have a more locked in feeling with thicker rails and larger ofo and on the other side the Cross is the typical FSW with a rocker line closer to a wave board.

Cluffy is spot on regarding differences between FSW/Freemove.

It will be interesting to see what speed people can get out of the XCross but quite confident in the right conditions the board can go to mid 30s.

A couple of mag reviews below:

"Full reviews can be read in WIND and Planchmag mags"

WIND magazine France March 2013
X-Cross 115

The X Cross planes early, with an excellent planing threshold.

In chaotic conditions mixing cross shore wind and waves, the performance is outstanding with this board, as it rides low on the water and never gets over powered or uncomfortable to ride.

Gybing the board is stable while also proving to be extremely good to manoeuvre and is ideal for all levels

'+': Speed, Jibe, Planing, Stability, Control, Range of use
'-': Flat deck, Footstraps

Planchemag magazine France March 2013
X-cross 115 wood Tester choice 2013

This latest freeride (more freemove than freeride) model doesn???t follow the convention of its predecessors, being both thinner and wider helping to make it the best choice with the testers thanks to it???s early planning and impressive stability. Its ability for speed is impressive. The fin

"...Great control in strong wind and choppy water..."

Great potential in manoeuvres, it delivers the most radical jibes of all tested boards, and as well as remaining very a smooth feeling in choppy conditions

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
2 Sep 2013 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Waiting for enough wind to test it in choppier conditions and see how it feels. Thanks Remi for letting me try it at least I will know if I can uphaul the big sails ( sure I can on the 115 have to see with the 106). As everyone says being able to actually try a board is priceless!
Hopefully I can take the 125 rocket out at the same session to compare the 2.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
2 Sep 2013 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

I thought it was but then remembered I had a Hi Fly Freestyle wave board ( early 2000's) for a few months.It was the first sort of modern board I'd seen and used.
I test sailed it in flatwater and loved it ( compared to my 95 model caveman waveboard).I lost confidence in it after it speared into the back of a steep chop at speed off Coal Pt and I had a nasty stack. That was before I knew anything about tuning etc or modern gear so it may have just been the way I had it setup.
I sold that and that was when I started to ask in seabreeze before I bought anything - I got the Rockets after advice here and have been really happy with them.
I didn't have the Hifly for long which is why I'd forgotten it.
In those days the biggest sail I had was a 5.8m raf and I only waterstarted ,didn't uphaul..More recently I've got into bigger boards and sails to maximize my TOW.

geared4knots
TAS, 2647 posts
2 Sep 2013 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Dont compare a fsw of old with today.
Modern fsw boards are really only from 2009 ish on.Short and fat, i.e 90 litres 235 by 60cm . or round abouts.
I had one of the first cross boards Exocet made. it was about 5-7 plus years ago . Mine was the 90 litre cross version 1( marketed as a freestle wave). Great board, as are all the Exocets.
I used it for on shore surf and flat water bump and jump. Actually i used it to learn my first vulcan on. The big 115 cross is for bigger blokes looking for a Freestyle wave /bump and jump board.
Admit these boards are now really true flat water bump and jump boards. For any surf use i would go with a convertible thruster FSW.
Now i use a 96 fanatic fsw for my big wave board ( thruster 2014 mod). Option of changing to single fin if you want just flat water use.

sBOARD. from what you say i would definately be looking in the fast freeride catagory.
lots of options from all the makers. Lets face it if you have a gps unit strapped to your arm and you are aiming for a reasaonable result, you might as well get the best board that achives that within your cababilities

Oh yeah, you mentioned a nasty stack, frrom not set up rigging... well you can have some very nasty stacks still, regardless of gear.. but still fun

Cheers Damien

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
2 Sep 2013 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

that's been my experience with these types of boards as well. three fin setups give the board a much wider wind range, use and suit wider tails.

Select to expand quote
geared4knots said..

I had one of the first cross boards Exocet made. it was about 7 plus years ago . Mine was the 90 litre cross version 1. Great board, as are all the Exocets.
I Used it as a fsw ( freestyle wave) for on shore surf and flat water bump and jump. Actually i used it to learn my first vulcan on. The big 115 cross is for bigger blokes looking for a Freestyle wave /bump and jump board.
Admit these boards are now really true flat water bump and jump boards. For any surf use i would go with a convertible thruster FSW.
Cheers Damien

that's been my experience with these types of boards as well. three fin setups give the board a much wider wind range, use range and suit wider tails.

I recommended the fsw type boards for sue because traditionally they have narrower tails which suits the lightweights more. plus the soft rails and v help in the chop. the only thing I've noticed with really wide boards and narrower tails is they feel a little too loose for me and don't track as well as i'd like.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
2 Sep 2013 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cluffy said..

My idea of a Freestyle Wave Board is a board you can use in the surf if you want to. This requires the durability to take the munchings I will inevitably give it as well as inboard strap positions for my slow motion geriatric wave riding. I think this in not to be confused with Freemove boards, that are really smooth to ride and gybe and go quite fast but are not actually intended for wave riding. That said, they would probably go okay in small surf. I agree with Stuthepirate that FSW boards max out at about 30 knots, I know my tabou 3S does but its the most comfortable 30 knots I've done and actually more fun than 30 knots on my slalom gear. The difference here is the wind strength required to get there, the FSW takes a bit more wind to get there.

The line between FSW and freemove is pretty thin but I made sure I was on the right side of it for my needs. I wanted that minimal bit of wave sailing option so I went for a tabou 3S. My tabou will lose to a freemove in a straight line most of the time but that's okay I have an absolute blast on it. FSW/freemoves are my favourite type of boards and sod the slalom gear.

yeah the line is thin for sure. makes it hard for people buying boards if they're not fully up to speed on what to look for. it's interesting that the xcross review on the exocet site includes a wave comment. but it does make sense. for heavier guys having a more slalom orientated rocker is pretty handy in light wind onshore wave conditions. gets you planning and upwind. i'd think it's more the width that pushes this board out of the wave category. seems to have a pretty good strap setup option with really wide and single options.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
2 Sep 2013 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

Gestalt said..

I thought it was but then remembered I had a Hi Fly Freestyle wave board ( early 2000's) for a few months.It was the first sort of modern board I'd seen and used.
I test sailed it in flatwater and loved it ( compared to my 95 model caveman waveboard).I lost confidence in it after it speared into the back of a steep chop at speed off Coal Pt and I had a nasty stack. That was before I knew anything about tuning etc or modern gear so it may have just been the way I had it setup.
I sold that and that was when I started to ask in seabreeze before I bought anything - I got the Rockets after advice here and have been really happy with them.
I didn't have the Hifly for long which is why I'd forgotten it.
In those days the biggest sail I had was a 5.8m raf and I only waterstarted ,didn't uphaul..More recently I've got into bigger boards and sails to maximize my TOW.

some of the very early fsw wave designs were shockers. the wave guys didn't like them, the flat water guys didn't like them and the freestyle guys avoided them. from the guys locally I saw buying them they vowed to never touch a fsw again. that's not the case anymore though.

the move to freemove seems logical from a marketing point. flat water guys never really thought at all at getting a freestyle wave board. I mean why would you when the board has freestyle and wave in the title and you want to blast on flat water. but the truth is fsw boards are excellent board for all round conditions. it's just they come with different tweaks so as cluffy said you gotta know which side of the line you're buying.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
2 Sep 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Gestalt said..

as we have been suggesting to her for a while

They handle chop better then a waveboard or a slalom board - especially if you are featherweight in 30kn on a 100L (SUE!!! ) and can still be pretty fast

yrp

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
5 Sep 2013 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Took the Xcross out in fairly typical conditions Off Coal -10 -15kts and then 15-18kts for a while . Had the 7.2m up and it wasn't set well - boom at the bottom of the cutout , didn't rotate well and on the Xcross very front hand heavy. I think the Xcross footstraps need to be further forward for a 5'5" person. ( No hassle there are suitable holes).

The Xcross probably has the edge over the rocket with planing through the lulls, MAYBE a little earlier planing and more forgiving of average gybes from a stable wide point of view.I didn't have any real control issues and it was maybe a little less hary going downwind in the chop due to less litres but I found the ride in the chop a bit harsh . It's 50 over my weight so someone a bit heavier may find it better.
If I sailed in less chop I'd go the Xcross but at the moment I like the smooth ride the double concaves of the rocket give in those conditions.The rocket felt like it was riding on a cushion of air.
When it came in I probably would have been ok with my 95 Rocket + 5.8m as guys heavier than me were out with smaller boards + 6.6m and were going well but it was only up for 3/4hr max and then back to 10-15kts.
For the gusty NW conditions with big hole in small chop the Xcross wins but for Coal the Rocket.
I still have to try the 106 Scross.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
18 Sep 2013 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Well I'm now the proud owner of an Xcross..
I tested it in many conditions.Thanks for you patience Remi!
I only want 3 boards as the van can only fit 3 and I find 4 on the corolla a pain.This board has to do me for 5 - 20kts ( mainly 10-18kts but be usable in the rest) so it was a big ask and any choice would be a compromise.
I tested a 115rocket side by side with the Xcross in rolling chop in 15-20kts . I aimed both of them at any chop or boat wake I could find and there wasn't much difference in it for comfort..
Steeper chop like off the tip of Coal the Xcross slaps more than the rocket would as the rocket has double concaves and settles down on cushion of air..The rocket might be a little faster but that's just a guess..The Xcross is wider so more stable uphauling the big sails in chop and wind , seems to carry through the lulls a little better and more stable.
I love the rockets but I've had mine for 4 years and I was ready for a change. I found the Xcross was so much FUN!Livelier but more forgiving /easier to use in many instances due to it's width. It's put a smile on my dial!
It will be a harsher ride at the top end in chop but I'm prepared to put up with that- the control isn't an issue and I actually find it less scary than the rocket going off the wind powered up ( it is 10 ltres less and very thin).
Did one jump with it and despite stuffing the landing ( out of practise ) it's shape made for a lovely floaty jump..boy I can have some fun with this one!
Took it to Canton today and it smokes upwind which will make me more inclined to do deeper speed runs as I know it will be easy to come back up. Gave a better sailor a go and he got 28.9kts on it in 10-20kts wind. He's used to 58cm wide 90's boards so the 75 Xcross was a bit of a change!
I also used it in 5 - 13kts and got planing in 10kts..
So good to finally have made a choice. Ideally I'd like to keep my 125 rocket a bit longer to try and learn the basics of tacking ( it has more nose than the Xcross) but I will sell it and have had a few people express interest so will sell if need to..
Only problem I can see is I will be using it now when I should be on the 95ltre as it's so much fun..

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8019 posts
19 Sep 2013 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

The Xcross is the pro model and lovely & light which is probably why it is so much fun. It does scuff easier than my rockets so it will take need more delicate handling..

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Exocet Xcross 115ltres 2013?" started by sboardcrazy