Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Goya Custom 3 or Fanatic Grip TE

Created by NorthDevon > 9 months ago, 3 Sep 2020
NorthDevon
4 posts
3 Sep 2020 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got any views on the Goya Custom 3 or Fanatic Grip.

Im looking for a 2020 board, 85L, I prefer thruster setups due to better up wind and earlier planning. I windsurf in UK conditions where it is generally cross and cross on and I'm 80kg. Heard good things about the Fanatic but having 5 box will this make it tail heavy and also can you design a board to work well a both a thruster and quad, I've heard some say the bottom shape is designed to be either thruster or quad but not both.

I have a Goya one 2015 currently and I like it so should I stick with Goya?

Any help to solve this dilemma would help, I have no where close by to try before I by.

Cheers.

74JS
2 posts
4 Sep 2020 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I've had an 86L Custom 3 since January, It's my only board, for sailing on the south coast, UK. I'm 77kg. and run 5.0 down to 3.7.
Cannot recommend it enough, it's super early planing, fast and flies up wind, perfect for dealing with the current and onshore/cross onshore we typically get. I've switched the fin set up to a 17" K4 Scorcher/SharkII's and 17" K4 Flex/Ezzy fronts to play around with the feel/control and to get the most out of it in Sideshore/DTL. You could take a trip to WestWittering on a good forecast and demo one.
Conditions have been epic during lockdown and for me 4.2 -4.7 is the my sweet spot for this 86L.

NorthDevon
4 posts
4 Sep 2020 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
74JS said..
I've had an 86L Custom 3 since January, It's my only board, for sailing on the south coast, UK. I'm 77kg. and run 5.0 down to 3.7.
Cannot recommend it enough, it's super early planing, fast and flies up wind, perfect for dealing with the current and onshore/cross onshore we typically get. I've switched the fin set up to a 17" K4 Scorcher/SharkII's and 17" K4 Flex/Ezzy fronts to play around with the feel/control and to get the most out of it in Sideshore/DTL. You could take a trip to WestWittering on a good forecast and demo one.
Conditions have been epic during lockdown and for me 4.2 -4.7 is the my sweet spot for this 86L.

Thanks 74JS.

Sounds ideal for me, I sail in places with a lot water moving and currents etc. my biggest sail is 5.3 and smallest 3.7 so perfect!

forceten
1312 posts
4 Sep 2020 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Upwind capability is enhanced with a Tri fin set up. Since the overall area is increased, I don't see how earlier planing is achieved. Compared to what ?
My Flikka had 5 boxes, once I sussed out that I preferred the Tri, I didn't use the rear quads. The bottom shape areas ahead of the fin cluster, doesn't know if the water is going to travel over 3 or 4 fins, the overall characteristics are defined by rails, rocker many more. I do think that a particular bottom may suit a fin setup, but this being a debatable aspect subject to individual preference. Yes, weight of 2 additional boxes is not desirable, but not any overload, if you do find this desirable.

personally I would consider a Witchcraft, or MOO Custom.

Dcharlton
308 posts
5 Sep 2020 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Both boards are amazing so you can't really go wrong with either. I would think that the Grip would compare more to the Custom 4, not Custom 3 and be more at home in good cross off conditions like the 4s.
I have the Custom 4 in 115ltr and just got the 94ltr.

DC

PhilUK
966 posts
5 Sep 2020 2:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NorthDevon said..

I cant help you with your new board but have a question about your 2015 Goya One as I bought one second hand. I find it incredibly slow so ditched the thrusters and its quicker and I'm going to keep the board.
Do you use it with the standard thruster setup? 23cm rear & 10cm thrusters? Swapping out the 23cm for K4 FSW 20cm didn't make any difference. Seems like the thruster just adds drag and make the nose sit down increasing the waterline.
Would the K4 Ezzy thrusters with toe in be faster?

I am more used to Exocet boards which are a lot faster (less rocker) but dont turn as tight, hence the reason for buying the Goya One.

Thanks.

duzzi
1057 posts
5 Sep 2020 5:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NorthDevon said..
Anyone got any views on the Goya Custom 3 or Fanatic Grip.

Im looking for a 2020 board, 85L, I prefer thruster setups due to better up wind and earlier planning. ...

Cheers.

I am not sure either is true, actually I think it is the opposite? Multi-fin might help in overpowered conditions, and certainly turning. Hard to compare because surface area is not the same, and differently distributed, but my two three fins seem to plan earlier and go upwind better than when I use them as single ...

Snapfigure
130 posts
5 Sep 2020 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there I got the fanatic grip and have used it as a quad trailer thruster .it s one of the most versatile boards I ve ever had Excellent in sideshore and onshore cond due to extremely early planning ability speed jumps and wave riding back or front foot(more front foot) .off course as they say straight rocker boards have limitations but I have not tested in big surf good conditions but I am confident that it will handle them well.I don't know about the Goya heard good and bad reviews but the fanatic grip is a very successful shape for onshore and sideshore cond

forceten
1312 posts
5 Sep 2020 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhilUK said..

NorthDevon said..

I cant help you with your new board but have a question about your 2015 Goya One as I bought one second hand. I find it incredibly slow so ditched the thrusters and its quicker and I'm going to keep the board.
Do you use it with the standard thruster setup? 23cm rear & 10cm thrusters? Swapping out the 23cm for K4 FSW 20cm didn't make any difference. Seems like the thruster just adds drag and make the nose sit down increasing the waterline.

I am more used to Exocet boards which are a lot faster (less rocker) but dont turn as tight, hence the reason for buying the Goya One.

Thanks.

23cm for a 85l is long, 20 is getting there, 18 more like it. The fin area is important here, not just length.
Using the K4 asymmetrical with toe in, so the David Ezzy signature version, will not make the board faster. Prob, slower, they WILL , help with snappy tighter turns.

Its possible to have a fast thruster, but fast is not a term I use to describe them.
write K4 , many options on K4 fins.

forceten
1312 posts
5 Sep 2020 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snapfigure said..
Hi there I got the fanatic grip and have used it as a quad trailer thruster .it s one of the most versatile boards I ve ever had Excellent in sideshore and onshore cond due to extremely early planning ability speed jumps and wave riding back or front foot(more front foot) .off course as they say straight rocker boards have limitations but I have not tested in big surf good conditions but I am confident that it will handle them well.I don't know about the Goya heard good and bad reviews but the fanatic grip is a very successful shape for onshore and sideshore cond

Are you saying in the first line,
you use this as a quad, a trailer( which could be a trailing Tri fin or ?) and thruster ( which technically is three fins of similar size) ( but more commonly refers to 3 fins) ?
the trailer is my real question

PhilUK
966 posts
6 Sep 2020 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

PhilUK said..

NorthDevon said..

Thanks.

23cm for a 85l is long, 20 is getting there, 18 more like it. The fin area is important here, not just length.
Using the K4 asymmetrical with toe in, so the David Ezzy signature version, will not make the board faster. Prob, slower, they WILL , help with snappy tighter turns.

Its possible to have a fast thruster, but fast is not a term I use to describe them.
write K4 , many options on K4 fins.

Ta.
Yeah 23cm seems large thats why I bought the 20cm when I picked the board up. Reading the K4 site again, it says the asymmetric fins require toe in due to a side affect, so is faster with toe in. Not that toe in is faster for all fins.
I think I will sail it as a single fin with the 20 or 23 (or 21 from my old Exocet) as its faster, then worry about side fins & 18cm once I get used to the board and actually sail it in proper waves.

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
6 Sep 2020 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

First time poster asking and another first time poster saying how great it is...... interesting....

Presuming its all legit lol - NorthDevon yes it is early planing perhaps but they mean for a wave board.
It won't get up and go like the Goya One does (the latter is a FSW)

I would not assume any 5 box is necessarily tail heavy with nice light slots boxes being common now. I'd personally get rid of the fat tail pad kick on some boards that serves no purpose, its not a surfboard

Snapfigure
130 posts
6 Sep 2020 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

forceten said..

trailer wave fin setup for ex 2 x 16 side fins 1 x 9 center fin works fine for grip It has better release in the top turn good speed stability in straight line less grip in the wave turn but more playful

RuaraidhK257
70 posts
6 Sep 2020 5:10AM
Thumbs Up

Get the Goya. Just as early planing but much better on the wave. The grip just doesn't have that upper edge of performance

forceten
1312 posts
6 Sep 2020 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snapfigure said..

forceten said..

trailer wave fin setup for ex 2 x 16 side fins 1 x 9 center fin works fine for grip It has better release in the top turn good speed stability in straight line less grip in the wave turn but more playful

For any trailer Tri fin, that I have seen, and one I made, the Fins, forward sides are not close to the rail, like they would be on a quad or Tri fin. Instead they are positioned more like a twin. This was dropped by Flikka, prob available on request. MOO Custom did some, and Patrik.
im surprised it sails that good .FIN OPTIONSExtremely versatile with multiple fin options and a shape designed to work both as a quad and tri-fin, even in the biggest sizes.

NorthDevon
4 posts
6 Sep 2020 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhilUK said..

NorthDevon said..

Thanks.

The Goya one is not super fast but I find it planes early I have either 20cm or 21cm centre fin, the original Is 21. The sides are 10fm I think. It goes up wind pretty well too, I've not studied the rocker but compared to my starboard quad 100 is suspect it is a lot flatter, I find the starboard hard to get going and very sticky i think due to the rocket.

forceten
1312 posts
6 Sep 2020 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

To enhance the performance , through the sail range, several fins in the box helps.the fin that comes with , is usually a tad large. From 21 to 20, unless the 20 has a substantial reduction in area or different foil is not a good idea.

forceten
1312 posts
6 Sep 2020 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

To enhance the performance , through the sail range, several fins in the box helps.the fin that comes with , is usually a tad large. From 21 to 20, unless the 20 has a substantial reduction in area or different foil is not a good idea.

NorthDevon
4 posts
7 Sep 2020 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all info on fins and setups, I think due to my local conditions and my sailing style/ability I will go for the Goya Custom 3.

gorgesailor
604 posts
9 Sep 2020 5:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RuaraidhK257 said..
Get the Goya. Just as early planing but much better on the wave. The grip just doesn't have that upper edge of performance

I would agree to some extent but I rather say the Grip is a more comfortable board whereas the Goya has a more radical feel. Both have a good turn of speed & plane well for wave boards. Personally I found the One's I have sailed a bit dull While the Goya 3 is quite lively. I really think you would enjoy either board - in my view the Grip prioritize control & versatility while the Goya is bit edgier.

sprayblaze
152 posts
9 Sep 2020 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

You can't go wrong with the Custom 3 imho although I went fot the Custom 4 and I am not changing, selling, swapping it for anything.

Tenso
4 posts
30 Oct 2020 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hello, and for strong wind? Sails 3.3 and 3.7, sometimes 4.2 ... in 75 liters, which would be a better option? goya Custom 3 75, Goya quad 74/79, Fanatic grip 76, sailing in chopy conditions. Thanks!...(Weight sailor 73 kg.)

sprayblaze
152 posts
31 Oct 2020 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

All great options. But I will go for the Goya quad 74 2020. Strong 3.3, 3.7 wind means that you want to be in control-thats why a quad no second thoughts. In such winds early plannig is not an issue thats why I will go for the 74 l with your weight but I will replace the stock fins wit K4s. 14 rear scorchers and 8 shark II fronts or 8 incinerators fronts ... or something heretical ...12 sharkII rears with 8sharkII fronts..my favorite combo. Last but not least a smaller board is always more fun and exciting to ride. I love 3.7 winds and I envy you. Hope this helps.

Tenso
4 posts
31 Oct 2020 5:25AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Sprayblaze, I have also thought about it, its short width is what makes me doubt, I suppose/hope that when the wind is gusty it will hold the glide ... goya quad 74------------ goya quad 79------------ goya c.3 75-------------- fanatic grip76
-------------221 ---------------------222 -----------------------221,7-------------------- 222
widht-------- 54,4 ---------------------55,3 ----------------------56,4---------------------- 56
tail ----------34,7-------------------- 35 ------------------------34,7----------------------- ?

I guess I will have to try, my other board is the Goya thruster 2019 86, and it is true that it glides easily, its little sister of 75 will also do it, and it will be more difficult to control in hard conditions,. Sorry for using this space, I don?t want to disturb opening another question and talk about the same topic ,

Stubby77
2 posts
31 Oct 2020 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I used both boards in Pozo, mainly on 3.7. . Both were excellent but I did prefer the Grip due to the softer ride. The Goya also felt a little stiff in these conditions. But again, both are very good!

Tenso
4 posts
1 Nov 2020 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stubby77 said..
I used both boards in Pozo, mainly on 3.7. . Both were excellent but I did prefer the Grip due to the softer ride. The Goya also felt a little stiff in these conditions. But again, both are very good!

Thank you, I don't know why the Goya quad feels stiffer, maybe bottom shape , I'll try to sail with both before buying.

Stubby77
2 posts
1 Nov 2020 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, I meant the Goya Thruster... ;-).

Tenso
4 posts
1 Nov 2020 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

chrome-extension://hiidjliailpkjeigakikbfedlfijngih/images/right-arrow.png

Select to expand quote
Stubby77 said..
Sorry, I meant the Goya Thruster... ;-).

Sorry too, a misunderstanding.. It's true, the thruster is a very good board, but it goes like a shot in strong wind (it is important to reduce the fins), quad gives a little more control,

ursblank
39 posts
11 Nov 2020 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

has anyone used the new Goya Quad in twin mode? Would that make the board turn tighter in small waves?

Shlogger
433 posts
11 Nov 2020 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

I've ridden my 2020 Quad in twin mode, more slide but didn't feel looser. I ended up going back to stock setup. If anything, I would go down a size if you wanted looser.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Goya Custom 3 or Fanatic Grip TE" started by NorthDevon