Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Just got my 2016 Patrik 140 F-Race

Created by legless > 9 months ago, 4 Nov 2015
legless
SA, 852 posts
4 Nov 2015 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Just got my 2016 Patrik 140 F-Race. Was looking for a good blasting board for a fat bastard like me and I think this will do the trick. The slightly longer and wider outline hopefully will get me going earlier and for longer...sods law there is no wind forcast for this weekend . looks good but it is a dark board.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
6 Nov 2015 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome and not that dark. If your worried about heat I have black boards up here with no probs.

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
9 Nov 2015 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

I have now got a 92 and a 110 both sweet boards to ride they truck upwind and feel trustworthy in chop lots more being sold in Qld I hear.

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
9 Nov 2015 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

sweet board i must admit. Already hit a 35 knots with 7.0 rough seas and trucks upwind

I was out the other day and with 7.0 and 32 zulu fin , im pretty confident now that the 32 would be only for 30 knots or 6.3m sail.

I would recommend a 33 or 34 for most conditions :) Slightly more fin size hungry than the previous model.

col5555
WA, 378 posts
10 Nov 2015 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Izzy,
What design feature makes it more "fin hungry" than the prevoius version.

On the weekend I was struggling to maintain board speed upwind with a 32 in the V1 92. I could feel the speed just slip away.
I just put it down to lack of abilty

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
11 Nov 2015 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
col5555 said..
Izzy,
What design feature makes it more "fin hungry" than the prevoius version.

On the weekend I was struggling to maintain board speed upwind with a 32 in the V1 92. I could feel the speed just slip away.
I just put it down to lack of abilty

The board tail width is a little wider and fatter. Plus the rocker line is slightly flatter. These things combined , the board requires a slightly more powerful fin.

34 would definitely fix it and be good, i will try a 33 soon when my new batch of ZULU fins arrive, as a slightly faster alternative. We will see if this is enough

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
11 Nov 2015 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Never tried the Zulu fins but there must be a limit to all this improvement in equipment.

Steve let me try his 32 Z fin ( not Zulu fin) in my I-sonic 87 in 20-25 knots.

Hardly hit 20 knots with it. It lifted my board sky high I could barely sail.

Steve uses this fin in his P92 but reckons its on the big side in stronger winds.

I much preferred the P100 over the P92----- it felt softer and sweeter to ride.

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
12 Nov 2015 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Just got my new 115

Is it just me or does the beer you have whilst screwing in the new foot straps on a brand new board taste better than usual?

Can someone tell me on what the tabs do in the cut outs.

whippingboy
WA, 1104 posts
12 Nov 2015 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Those removable cut outs are the same as on the old F2 boards (which Patrik designed)

The theory I was told when I had one was to remove them in higher winds for more of the cut out effect (whatever that is?)

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
13 Nov 2015 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

.... from the Patrik site

"Refined rail and tail cutouts which have been gradually calculated in order that every board feels similar and just changes in volume. The smaller tail surface reduces drag and trims the board in a more lateral free gliding position wheras the rail cutout trims the board more to the leward side which helps releasing the upwind water pressure and increase acceleration and top speed. The adjustable plates on the sizes 100l and bigger can be adjusted in height. The deeper cutouts have less drag and more top speed whilst the lower cutout depth has increased pressure (lift) in the tail which makes the board riding more flat and helps early planing and control"

I have just got the 110 and have got to sail it once in open bay conditions so far with the plates in. I expect I'll take the cutout plates off on flat water for GPS runs.
So far I have found it an easy slalom board to ride and gybes sweet

JustinL
NSW, 467 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Nov 2015 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

I have ridden the F-Race 130 twice now. First time in light winds with two guys on learner gear, so a light wind day. It is 75cm wide with plenty of volume so tacking and uphauling was stress free.
Second time was yesterday at Balmoral Beach Sydney. Wind was at the start over 20 knots. I sail with the 7.9 Gun GSR and the sail was on the deck nicely giving the End Plate Effect. Everything was balanced. I found my heels up out of the water and getting into the back strap after a gybe easy. I think that is important (getting foot into back strap quick) for GPS or racing. Later the wind drop a bit and I changed to the 8.7m GSR Gun sail. A fleet of Elliots came out and I beat them upwind! dunno if that means anything but the board felt good upwind. I was pulling some tight gybes and my exit speed was good. these boards are slight longer than the Slalom boards.

At this stage I am thinking this might be a good board for open water sailing, coast runs etc. I used the PD Slalom 115 in the Ledge to Lancillin Ocean Marathon last year which was great but I did get buried at the start. I would have like a bigger board to punch out of the beach but then a bigger board might have being a bit cumbersome in the ocean. This board potentially ticks the boxes, has good planning length high volume and then a bit narrower than a Slalom to cut through and hit the high speeds.

As with any new board it takes a while to get the foot straps right, mast step position and fin combos and downhaul tension can also effect trim. So far it feels good :-)

nbr
QLD, 291 posts
24 Nov 2015 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

I rode the F-Race 130 on Sunday at Sanctury Point [ many thanks Justin] and I have to say it was great. It planned super quick, good speed, Gybes very well and no splash from feet on the rail into my face. This was one board that I felt instantly that this is it. I am replacing a 09 Fanatic Ray 140 that has worn out. The Patrick had the same comfortable feeling and ride that my 101 Futura has. I weigh 75 kg and used it in 20+ knots with 7.5 Ezzy Lion,7.0 S OD. and a 6.5 Ezzy the whole time I felt in control and very comfortable. I will get one for sure just a matter of $.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Just got my 2016 Patrik 140 F-Race" started by legless