Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Loft Racing Blade 2016

Created by sausage > 9 months ago, 5 Jan 2016
sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
5 Jan 2016 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

I see that loft have done away with the x-ply at the top of their 2016 RBlade model. Durability wise I think this is a backward step but probably reduces production costs. http://www.loftsails.com/products/sails/racing-blade

We asked Monty to outline what's changed in the flagship 2016 Racing Blade range.
What are the Key Developments? 'The plan form (outline), material change (more monofilm), leech tuning, tuned batten-taper and horizontal curve schedules - and new colors!'
And the Benefits?
'Expand the wind range, improve stability, improve speed throughout the wind range . easier-to-access performance.' /images/misc/forum-image-missing.gif
How did you Achieve those Enhancements?
'Testing with my new Tarifa-based team - Ramon and Fernando - Monofilm proved to be faster than the 2-mm. x-ply used to build the 2015 Racing Blades. 'The mono test was conclusive: Racing Blades identical to each other EXCEPT for the material were tested against each other extensively. The result of our investigation concluded that monofilm produces improved performance. [oh and not to mention saves us a mint in production costs ]

AUS 808
WA, 455 posts
6 Jan 2016 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

sausage said..
I see that loft have done away with the x-ply at the top of their 2016 RBlade model. Durability wise I think this is a backward step but probably reduces production costs. http://www.loftsails.com/products/sails/racing-blade

[/i][oh and not to mention saves us a mint in production costs ]

Which will surely be passed on to the consumer

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
6 Jan 2016 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

............. interested to hear any feedback on new models

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
6 Jan 2016 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

I must admit I'm disappointed at the change as I was strongly considering loft for a new 11m this year because of the X-ply construction. I often get frustrated at the materials used in sailboard sails especially when I think back to my dinghy sailing days and the greatly superior sailcloth that dinghies and yachts use. Then I asked myself how long were my technora dinghy sails staying competitive before they lost their racing edge? The answer was about 2 years. My 10.7 reflex 4 is 2 seasons old and still going ok but I think 1 more season will be about it. It does have a tear in it though. So from a racing point of view monofilm lasts about the same (except for the rips) as technora but it's the longevity that suffers. If you are changing over your sails every 2 or 3 years then it doesn't matter that much but if you want longevity or resale value then yeah, monofilm sucks.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
6 Jan 2016 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Cluffy,
Totally agree. I sail open ocean conditions 100% of the time so my gear probably takes a greater pounding than most. My main quiver of sails that I use are Loft Blades 2011- 6.3 & 7.8 & 2012 7.0 & 8.6 and they are still going strong although they too are starting to show signs of fatigue albeit very minor e.g. stitching etc. Previous to the Lofts I used KA koncepts but the monofilm just didn't last that long (and I am very particular with looking after my gear too) hence my decision to go over to Lofts. The bonus also being that they were interchangeable between SDM & RDM so this provided some added confidence after one too many mast failures out wide. Having X-Ply tops and RDM compatible now it looks like KA are back in contention for my next round of sail purchases (unless there's some 2015 or earlier Loft Blades floating around)

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
6 Jan 2016 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haggar said..

They're faster by 12.345% Haggar

Vince68
WA, 675 posts
6 Jan 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

Haggar said..

They're faster by 12.345% Haggar

That's like 3kn faster. Fully sick mate

col5555
WA, 378 posts
11 Jan 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

I would like to see the construction change with sail sizes ie larger sails made with lighter material and the smaller sizes continue to be made as is with the more durable x ply.
I start to notice the weight when I get on the 7.8.

And if you reading this Monty develop the 7.0 to rig on a 460 mast. I cringe using so much extension

Hugh Lake Mac
NSW, 5 posts
28 Jan 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

I am currently using a 7.0 racing blade with a 460 rdm it's a much better match than the 430 way to soft
Although it does require 1cm more downhaul

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Loft Racing Blade 2016" started by sausage