Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Naish Bullet 115

Created by TASSIEROCKS > 9 months ago, 28 Jan 2013
TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
28 Jan 2013 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Just a picture of my new medium slalom board. My sp ltd 95 is the best all round slalom board I have used, so I will be keen for any improvements this boards brings.

nice plan shape, it looks fast

I will review when we get some wind. cheers Russ
2013 Bullet length 240 width 66 volume 115 (looks like around 107) my peak speed ???
2010 SP ltd length 240 width 59 Volume 95 (feels like around 87) my peak speed 38 knots on this board

easty
TAS, 2213 posts
28 Jan 2013 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Another new toy Russ? Your shed must be a TARDIS!

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
1 Feb 2013 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

a few more pictures

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
3 Feb 2013 3:14AM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board Tassierocks. Keen to hear how you find it.

choco
SA, 4034 posts
3 Feb 2013 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

who shaped it ? Richard Greene?

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
5 Feb 2013 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Wind is comming finally on the weekend so then I will review then.

Hi choco this is a Richard Greene design so good pedigree, Bullets are a bit under the radar in Australia. But I know they did heaps of work on these puppies to keep up with best

One thing I love about the Naish slaloms are they are fast, light and in my experience can be jumped and will take it. My Naish SP ltd 95 (in pictures) has had heaps of use done nice lofty jumps and still looks like new and is so comfortable off the wind in rough water

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
7 Feb 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a lot of adjustment options for the foot straps, and plenty of padding. Not a lot of info on the Naish site - will be good to hear how you find it.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
7 Feb 2013 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

I can confirm on the padding...

Very comfy when you get in, but boy what a pain to get out of the straps !!
It's so soft that once you've shoved your foot in, it presses it up against the strap and then it's a real wiggle and pull maneuver to get it out.

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
7 Feb 2013 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Sean - really, hard to get feet out? bare feet?

I was actually referring to the pad coverage, not the thickness/softness level of the pads. It seems as though there is a trend towards "less is more" with some brands lately. Naish seem to have the area well covered.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
7 Feb 2013 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Seanhogan,

I keep my footstraps loose, I hate that locked in feel on any board as well, and I have big feet. You could try widening the footstrap by one hole that worked for me a treat

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
7 Feb 2013 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

HooRay (from seabreeze ) gave me the same advice as you when he came over.
Works a bit better, and yes Ejmack really hard to get out (barefooted) copped a couple of crashes during gybes
Now I wiggle my way out before entering the curve

gavnwend
WA, 1366 posts
7 Feb 2013 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Bit of Vasoline rub on the feet works good

gavnwend
WA, 1366 posts
7 Feb 2013 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Bit of Vasoline rub on the feet works good

robaut307
5 posts
10 Feb 2013 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tassierocks!
Any news about a first try on the naish bullet 115?
I´m thinking about buying one instead of my grnad prix 110,
so I´m very courious about your first runs.
How heavy is the board? When I got my 110 grand prix, I was a little bit shocked about how heavy the board was!
Which fins will you use?
Greetz from Austria (not Australia),
Rob

geared4knots
TAS, 2647 posts
10 Feb 2013 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah , sounds like straps are set too tight.
All Naish boards/straps i have have used are sweet!
Hopefully all boards producers have sorted that one out by now!

Getwet
8 posts
10 Feb 2013 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Sailing with naishboards and Sails sense 2007, stealth and SP bords, the hole range. From 2012 GP. Waiting now for the 2013 bullets and wonder about the weight, can anybody tell me the weight for 115l? The GP was to heavy.......The SP boards was realy light and explosive.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
10 Feb 2013 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Ok first run today and I know some guys are keen for feeback.

Sailed the board in flat water with a Naish Bullet sail as well 6.4m. I changed the fin supplied with the board to a Vector Rocket 34 as it looked windy.

I had the back footstraps all the way at the back and the front straps second from the front. I can get away with this because I am 6'3" and 93kg.

Review:
When powering up, the boards sits in the water very well and is easy to get going. Note, like a starboard it has a fair bit of volume taken out around the mast track, this is fine as long as you are active about getting onto the plane. If you are lazy or learning then you could overweight the nose and bog the board down. So sail powered up would be my recommendation. The board will float you home if the wind drops out but do not expect dry feet.

Once on the plane this board has a progressive rocker that set's the board onto it's tail for a super fast and comfortable ride. What is exciting about this board is that it has another gear to it at the top end. If you balance it off the wind it just runs super fast for it's size and somehow feels small and super quick eating up any sea state in it's path very nice for 5 x 10 second runs.

This is an advanced sailors board for sure, but if you like a fast medium size board the bullet lives up to it's name. The board gybes a treat and is very fast I had over 23 alpha's on my first runs so it is one of those boards that is fast in and very predictable in he turn and fast out if the rig flip is timed well so as not to weight forward comming out.

Volume on the water feels under 115, I would say 108 and being not as wide as others in this market segment , it is, what I would call a sailors board. You could sail it all day across a range of conditions and it would do it all well. It's not just focused on winning races but more about being a fun fast board for the session so if the wind picks up heaps you still feel fine on this puppy.

Board weight is light but mine is not as light as the new Starboards isonic carbon's they are mega light. this is to be expected because you have bigger thicker footpads and two rows of foot strap holes.

First sail overall impressions are very positive. I will try it with the larger fin supplied 38 and big sail soon this would have improved pointing ability for sure but overall very happy.

Peak speed today was over 33 knots with the 6.4m sail so very easy speed for a 115 considering I was getting the feel for the board.

Cheers Russ

robaut307
5 posts
11 Feb 2013 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

@TASSIEROCKS:
Hello Tassierocks!
Thanx for your report. Do you know the weight of the board in kilogramms? Is it somewhere written?

@GETWET:
Hello to Sweden from Austria!
Read that you have the SP80; me I surf on the GP80, but till now I was not able to find the right fins for that board - which fins do you use on the SP80?
Greetz,
Rob

Getwet
8 posts
12 Feb 2013 3:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hi!

Use select fins, Caspar 29, devil 27, s09 27 and a old bullet.....AB+ (Anders Bringdal) 26 and 28. The board is very fast and amazing control with 6.4 or 5.8 sails.

Also like select s10 and 11 but what happend with S12? This year i try the Vmax fins.

So, to the 80l i use fins between 26 and 28cm, togheter with 5.8 and 6.4. Maybe i try the 29cm sometimes, dont remember.

Getwet
8 posts
12 Feb 2013 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, do you have some problem with the 80l. Tell me about it?

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
12 Feb 2013 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Good review Russ, thanks. Keen to see how you find it in rougher conditions.

robaut307
5 posts
12 Feb 2013 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

@GETWET:
Not real problems, but before the naish GP80, I had an Exocet Slalom 58, and now I´m not reaching the speed I had before.
I use the board with the 5.2 and 6.4 sqm naish GP-sails.
Where do you fix your mast?
Greetz, Rob

Getwet
8 posts
16 Feb 2013 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry Rob, dont understundom touren question? Do you mean where i fix the mast on
the board?

Getwet
8 posts
16 Feb 2013 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Stupid iPhone, do you mean where i fix the mastposition?

JonesySail
QLD, 1084 posts
17 Feb 2013 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tassie, what sail size are you running on the 115?
I'm detecting a 'reserved' opinion/review on the Naish? Not Wow! Awesome!??
Am considering the 95 with a 7.0m (85kg 16-25knt ish) , thought it may handle choppier open ocean better than some other dedicated Slalom boards, like the option for footstrap positions also.
Is the 'Standard' fin a good one?

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
18 Feb 2013 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have tried to be as honest as possible in the review, it was only one sail that I have had on the board using a smaller fin and very flat water so for me not a true test of the board. I used a 6.4 bullet sail so that gives an indication that the board as at the higher wind end of it's range. I try not to turn a review into an advertisement as this to me is not the intent of a review.

The board is fantastic in general terms, like all modern slalom boards. The Naish Bullet is every bit as good as other race boards out there. I stress one sail does not make a summer so I will keep you posted. The 95 should be every bit as good as my Naish sp ltd 95 and i recently did 39 knots in open water so go for it.

JonesySail
QLD, 1084 posts
18 Feb 2013 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers, Naish website is not too full of info, and bugger all reviews to be found on this model anywhere!

robaut307
5 posts
19 Feb 2013 6:08AM
Thumbs Up

@GETWET:
I know, I also use an Iphone
Yes, which mastposition do you use i.e. for the 6.4m2?
Greetz, Rob

Getwet
8 posts
23 Feb 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

It depends on the water, and if i use weedfin or not. With normal fin in the middle from the middle.....(Do you understand?;)) if the water is "normal" choppy and open seasailing, because the control.

Totaly flatwater 2-3 cm more back to find the lift we slalomsailor love!

Footstrap position is not the same on SP80 like the other sizes in SP/GP range. For all others i have the straps in the last position everytime.
But, i had a lot of spin out problem with the SP80 then i try the same position there. My teammate has the same feeling so we try the second last position, but only for the back straps. The front straps in the last position. After that the board working very well and we have no spinout problems and can push fullpower on the both legs.

Sorry about my english, but i try...;)

Here a movie from Sweden, its me and a teammate Max, only 15 years old. I was his mentor and training him last year and do it this season again.
I use GP110 and GP7.8. Max sailing with SP95 and 6.4 Indy. The photos in the end of the film i use GP110 and GP7.0 in open sea, the jump photo...

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
24 Feb 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

fantatic Video

Had my second sail on the 115 and loved the board it performed very well in the heavy confused chop, the debatech? dragon 38 fin supplied is fantastic as well and the board is very comfortable over the 75km of distance.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Naish Bullet 115" started by TASSIEROCKS