izymiester
WA, 325 posts
18 Feb 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
18 Feb 2016 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

You certainly held on to that Warp 7.7m well yesterday in the 20-25 knot gusts.

Went past me like I was in reverse!

Was holding you off,well nearly,till that big gust came through.

Will hold off judgement on your new kit for now......

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
18 Feb 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

I had 1 run on a fellow sea breezes (Aus04) 9.0 warp 2016 and I was amazed at the rotation of the cams. They sounded like they clicked from one side to the other and did it effortlessly. The sail felt solid and very locked although as I said, it was literally only 1 run. I would like to spend a bit more time with one and compare it to my KA Races.

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
19 Feb 2016 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh Pete you were going pretty quick on your gear. And you are a lightweight so pretty happy to gain on you in the lulls :)

The winds were 15-30 but that's what I love about the kit it has such range and efficiency. I tried less downhaul which quite noticeably locked the board down more, and a larger fin the board was insanely stable and locked I was a bit surprised when it wasn't flying out of water and sail not becoming backhanded. I even moved mast track back and boom higher and seemed fine. Definitely very tuneable.

The rotation Is definitely impressive! Just easy rotation and a nice fast click sound where all cams rotate in one swift action. It took me a few sails to get used to the "click" as it is a little louder than the normal cam rotation sound. But this system is far more superior with instance rotation of all cams and not leaving one out to rotate after or delayed as a like a lot of race sails. The best part Is the cams are super light and there is no mast wear

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
21 Feb 2016 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Here are a few shots of the 2016 warp model shot at the Alkimos shipwreck, WA.

These models have awesome shape and if you take a look at the sailing shot you can see the twist under load that makes this sail breath soo well.

I used my fanatic 112 2016 Fanatic Falcon in this session

Tardy
5029 posts
22 Feb 2016 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah looks sweet as ever ..brought my first warp in 2001 ..
they don't over power ...they just go faster.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
22 Feb 2016 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Nice to see they have not gone overboard on the number of battens.

tobyr
WA, 69 posts
22 Feb 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

I bet it goes better on the water.

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
23 Feb 2016 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

one of the best looking sails on the market IMO

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
23 Feb 2016 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

The 2016 Warp 7.0m weighs in at 5.6kg

My Maui 7.0m at 5.9kg feels super light.

You would think that a lower planing threshold and performance through the lulls were its strong point.

Downside.....With only 7 battens for the 7m with a 453 luff---stability should suffer in the gusts!---especially for lighter sailors.

The 2016 7.7m that Aus 1111 let me try seemed very stable so I may be wrong.

The 30 percent claim in low end performance is obviously BS

Improving bottom end by just two percent over other sails would be a serious achievement.

Time will tell if they are as good as the claims in the video at the top of the page.

www.continentseven.com/northsails-warp-f2016/

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
24 Feb 2016 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

petermac33 said...
The 2016 Warp 7.0m weighs in at 5.6kg

My Maui 7.0m at 5.9kg feels super light.

You would think that a lower planing threshold and performance through the lulls were its strong point.

Downside.....With only 7 battens for the 7m with a 453 luff---stability should suffer in the gusts!---especially for lighter sailors.

The 2016 7.7m that Aus 1111 let me try seemed very stable so I may be wrong.

The 30 percent claim in low end performance is obviously BS

Improving bottom end by just two percent over other sails would be a serious achievement.

Time will tell if they are as good as the claims in the video at the top of the page.

www.continentseven.com/northsails-warp-f2016/

The 7.7m north warp has surprised me in almost every aspect.

I keep talking about this sail in terms of how "functional" it is. Since it has performed in 30 knot slalom racing and been faster than guys on 6m and 5m race sails working just fine being slippery and stable.

I've used this sail on the river on a few ugly wind days where the wind was shifting about 30 degrees and bullet gusts coming from all angles. The strength was 15-30 knots and I surprised myself when I felt perfectly fine and fast in 30 knot gusts. I managed to be more stable and locked in than guys on 7.0m sails.

Yet in the light winds I have managed to get this sail to plane through some incredibly light air where on the river we commonly have 100m or more of glass where the winds are patchy and in waves.

The mast flex and performance may be the key. With this performance it is soft enough to handle the lulls and flex performance working well enough in strong winds that the sail does not become distorted and backhanded etc

The top end speed of the sail is incredible and the acceleration which is highly underrated is amazing and light in the hands. Acceleration in gusts and when working to gain an advantage in drag races makes huge difference in overall average speed over a short or long distance. To maximise the wind more than your competitor, this is windsurfing better right? And off the gybe marks a lot of time can be lost but I find I'm much faster now against the lighter weights and top sailors. This sail claims to have a gradual acceleration from gybes which I have noticed a lot and makes acceleration and commitment around gybes much better and more enjoyable. Controlled, since speed is nothing without this.

To answer the question about less battens being less stable. Maybe we need to look at the overall sail design and functionality combined with mast characteristic more than how many battens are in the sail.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"North Sails WARP F2016" started by izymiester