Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Perfect combo JP 102/5.5 m EZZY wave

Created by Nerdburger > 9 months ago, 4 Apr 2020
Nerdburger
NSW, 304 posts
4 Apr 2020 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Thought I'd post a review and share my thoughts on a perfect combo for me, It's taken me a while to find

JP 102 ultimate, awesome all round large wave board, very versatile, I use with standard quad set for DTL wave sailing 15/25 knots and swap a 23 cm JP thruster centre fin for 15/20 knots onshore days.I'm 88/92 kg 6ft, and the JP is brilliant at float and ride through to windy conditions. Turns brilliantly and plans well with the 23cm fin for a wave board in light conditions considering the thin tail and wave rocker. Loved it so much, I got a 94L for the high wind days and when I've backed of the beer and trained a bit more, 86/88 kgs, it's perfect as well. Swapping the fins for thruster for light and onshore to quad for high wind and DTL, gives this board fantastic versatility. So much so I sold my Fanatic stubby 99L. A great board, but less gear suits me and being very different boards the transition between both took a while to adjust and resulted in me kooking the occasional wave as they sail / turn very differently.

I have a mix of Ezzy 19 elites and Ezzy 20 waves.
4.7/5.0/5.5 m. the tuning range of the 5.5 is brilliant !!, it truly is 15/25 knot range with outhaul and down haul adjustments. The build quality is exceptional and the in built rigging guide is brilliant. Light in the hands, bomb proof construction. For wave sailing even in the lightest of wind, I'll never need anything bigger than 5.5 meters. Min 1 setting on down haul and outhaul, provides heaps of grunt.
I use Ezzy masts and the chinook rdg 150-200 boom is brilliant as well.

Tardy
5003 posts
4 Apr 2020 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

NICE set up mate ....the dream combo

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
6 Apr 2020 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

A very nice combo indeed!!! Thanks for sharing. I love my 2020 Ezzy Waves (4.2 & 4.7) and Taka (5.3) - epic range, build quality and light handling. I've teamed mine up with the 2020 92L Quatro Pyramid for my perfect combo's. Happy days

Nerdburger
NSW, 304 posts
7 Apr 2020 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Daz, I'll be adding to my Ezzy waves soon, with a 4.2m for those nuking southerly days, and hopefully a tassie trip at the end of the year. Agreed your 92 pyramid looks the business ??, will you be updating the smaller one with the channel bottom ?. We had marginal but fun SW today at flat top between rain squalls, fun banks on the higher tide ??

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
7 Apr 2020 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Sick. You'll have a full quiver of Ezzy Waves before u know it!!!
I sold my 83L Pyramid, so just running my new 92L for now - has better range than the previous models, so might just stick with the one board??? It seems to handle the majority of conditions I sail in. I'm liking the simplicity of just having one board - and the bank account is a bit happier too. If I do change for next season I might go in between the two sizes and get the 87L??? But for now I'm pretty happy!!!

very few and far between sessions down my way, hoping for some wind later in the week!!!

Al1
51 posts
10 Apr 2020 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

Nice setup, the 102 looks killer for float and ride dtl conditions, do you know its width at one foot off (30cm off the tail) ?
I have a 2016 pyramid 95 that is pretty good for those conditions , and a 2020 pyramid 87 which I literally fell in love with for 20 knots and +

Al1
51 posts
10 Apr 2020 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

Nice setup, the 102 looks killer for float and ride dtl conditions, do you know its width at one foot off (30cm off the tail) ?
I have a 2016 pyramid 95 that is pretty good for those conditions , and a 2020 pyramid 87 which I literally fell in love with for 20 knots and +

Nerdburger
NSW, 304 posts
10 Apr 2020 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Yep please find below, wind the thruster and a bigger 23cm JP G10 fin it compensates for narrow tail design for onshore conditions for my weight. I'm interested to try K2 fins with some flex to see if this gives an improvement. Tail dimensions are as below. I'd like to add the current 92 pyramid to my quiver as I love the look of the shape, but pretty close to 94 ultimate which is amazing DTL and powered up. Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Perfect combo JP 102/5.5 m EZZY wave" started by Nerdburger